Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 06:27 AM

6 posts, read 31,356 times

Advertisements

Okay,

I hope someone can help me out with some info, and please don't judge what I am about to say.

Life has dealt me cards, and I've been standing with a hand that includes homelessness and joblessness. No details are warranted, just understand sometimes you don't see things coming.

At any rate, I am skilled and educated, and I interviewed in DC yesterday for a potential job. It looks promising, but no relocation is involved, (not in the budget.) The job would pay really well, but I am wanting to know if anyone knows of any agencies, shelters, etc., where I might stay in DC until I get on my feet.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 07:28 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberius View Post
Okay,

I hope someone can help me out with some info, and please don't judge what I am about to say.

Life has dealt me cards, and I've been standing with a hand that includes homelessness and joblessness. No details are warranted, just understand sometimes you don't see things coming.

At any rate, I am skilled and educated, and I interviewed in DC yesterday for a potential job. It looks promising, but no relocation is involved, (not in the budget.) The job would pay really well, but I am wanting to know if anyone knows of any agencies, shelters, etc., where I might stay in DC until I get on my feet.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

God Bless
If you get the job and will be able to pay after the first check or two, I would advertise on Craigslist and see if anyone would be willing to help you out for a few weeks until you started getting a check. Sometimes you can find someone who may need house sitting or help with other things that would be willing to exchange rent for help, etc. Good luck.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:06 AM

470 posts, read 2,095,657 times
Call Martha's Table at 202.328.6608. My church does volunteer work there. They're located on 14th street just north of downtown.

They may not have a bed for you but they are saints and will give you good info on how to get help.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:06 AM

658 posts, read 1,893,588 times
look into hostels too..Its been years since I stayed in hostels in Europe, but it was very cheap and you got breakfast and shower in the morning.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,752 times
Thumbs up Help in DC ...

Email John Shetterly @ [email]jlshet@aol.com[/email] John has been helping homeless people throughout DC for more than 20 years.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:34 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,074 times
The Community Partnership for the Prevention of Homeless has a hotline to call for assistance, 1.800.535.7252 or 202.399.7093
They also have a list of resources The Community Partnership for the Prevention of Homelessness

You may also want to check with the Coalition for the Homeless. They offer emergency and transitional housing.

The website is Home and are located at 1234 Masschusetts Ave. Phone: 202.347.8870

Best of luck.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
You might also talk to CCNV (Community for Creative Non-Violence). 202-393-1909. They have been around for decades and run, if not the largest, then one of the largest shelters in the city. It's at 2nd and D Streets, NW. 1300+ beds as well as food, medical, and dental services etc. They may be what you need, and if not, they'll listen to you and point you in some other good directions. They are kind of the DC pros of broad-based homeless services...

Old 06-26-2008, 12:52 PM

Thanks to all how have responded. This information has been vital, and its a great jumping off point for me.

I will follow everyone's suggestions. I did get the job, so I'm very thankful to you all for the info.

God Bless

Old 07-09-2008, 06:17 AM

Default In DC Response

Once again,

Thanks to all of those who gave me advice. I contacted a number of the listed agencies, and they have all led me to an emergency shelter in Columbia Heights. I start work tomorrow evening, so I will use the available time I have left to pound the pavement today.

The La Casa shelter will not work. Its not a pride thing, my graveyard shift worn't allow it, so if anyone else has anymore good advice, please drop it here. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,825 times
Default this may help

Okay,well i am in the same boat. what part of dc
are you going to be at, southeast,northwest,southwest,or northeast. there is a shelter in south east called saint elizabeths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC