Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 08:00 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,580,332 times

Advertisements

The article is a brief overview of things to do off the beaten path. I think everyone here knows many places people could go. don't think the article intended to suggest that those things are the ONLY things to do in DC. Just a select few things if you're in the area for 36 hours. Nevertheless, it is still free marketing for DC.

I don't think there is a rivalry between NYC and DC. Maybe NYC and L.A.? NYC alone has 8 million people. Its central core would swallow most, if not all of downtown DC. NYC's economy is diversified whereas DC's is singular with the government and has struggled to diversify. NYC's restaurant scene is by far the best on the East Coast. DC's restaurant scene, while improving, is a distant 4th or 5th in the country if not lower. NYC, L.A., Chicago, all have well-established restaurant scenes. Nightlife? Don't get me started. DC doesn't even compare...not even remotely.

DC needs its own thing. Something other than the government. NYC is a leader in the arts, Wall Street banking, and Marketing and Publishing firms. DC COULD breakout if Amazon located here, but it would just become, "The Silicon Valley of the East". Maryland's biotech industry could be DC's thing as well. But so far, those companies have remained outside of DC proper in Montgomery County.

DC could become an Atlanta or a Seattle. Personally, I think DC is getting a lot of California transplants. It could feel like a San Francisco.

If anything, Boston has its own thing in engineering and science. It may become the robotics/physics capital of the country. DC could get a foothold in cybersecurity and become a center for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 09:13 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,642,081 times
After dating a Danish woman, Air and Space is always a top recommendation I make. She was very anxious to see it and when I asked why, she asked me if I realized how few countries in the world had a real, advanced space program and a museum to experience it first hand. I hadn't really thought about it prior to that.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:10 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,532,133 times
I live in LA and the food scene is wayyyyy overhyped.

Too many Cafe Milanos where people pay top money to eat ****ty food just to schmooze.

Mexican food in particular is also way overhyped. San Diego is better. And honestly i know establishments in Arlington that are better. Too many dumb white beckys on Yelp.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:13 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post

Too many Cafe Milanos where people pay top money to eat ****ty food just to schmooze.

Mexican food in particular is also way overhyped. San Diego is better. And honestly i know establishments in Arlington that are better. Too many dumb white beckys on Yelp.

You way want to venture beyond WeHo and into Boyle Heights, DTLA, and even some parts of Koreatown that are now heavily Mexican - you will be very pleasantly surprised.

LA beats the sh** out of DC as far as almost any type of cuisine is concerned, and at all price ranges. Yes the one caveat is that you may have to travel outside of the core areas and into the suburbs - San Gabriel Valley, for example, is about 40 minutes away from WeHo but well well worth it for Chinese food.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:01 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
You way want to venture beyond WeHo and into Boyle Heights, DTLA, and even some parts of Koreatown that are now heavily Mexican - you will be very pleasantly surprised.

LA beats the sh** out of DC as far as almost any type of cuisine is concerned, and at all price ranges. Yes the one caveat is that you may have to travel outside of the core areas and into the suburbs - San Gabriel Valley, for example, is about 40 minutes away from WeHo but well well worth it for Chinese food.
"Beats the hell out of DC" is a gross exaggeration. For example you suggested DTLA, I went to Takami Sushi in DTLA last time I was there, and although the ambiance and view of the city was nice, I can first hand say that I was no more impressed there than food I can find here in the DC area or even Orlando, FL for that matter. Your entire post is subjective. I've been to LA many times, and never once have ate there and thought "OMG this LA food melts in my mouth so much better than DC food".

LA doesn't even have a Michelin guide, DC does.

And having to travel 40 mins away to get "good food" is something for LA to hang it's hat on?

Old 02-28-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
"Beats the hell out of DC" is a gross exaggeration. For example you suggested DTLA, I went to Takami Sushi in DTLA last time I was there, and although the ambiance and view of the city was nice, I can first hand say that I was no more impressed there than food I can find here in the DC area or even Orlando, FL for that matter. Your entire post is subjective. I've been to LA many times, and never once have ate there and thought "OMG this LA food melts in my mouth so much better than DC food".

LA doesn't even have a Michelin guide, DC does.

And having to travel 40 mins away to get "good food" is something for LA to hang it's hat on?

No it's not an exaggeration.

Next time you're in LA, avoid the high-end spots and tourist trap type places and check out the locals' food scene. Go for sushi to Sushi Gen or Shojin in Little Tokyo.

Baco Mercat in DTLA for international small plates-concept. Badmaash for Indian fusion. The list is way too long to provide here.

And a 40 minutes drive really isnt much in the LA area. Many people leave DC and drive to Rockville for Chinese food, or Herndon for Indian food, which can often take up to 40 minutes.

Either way, the one type of food that DC does better than LA is Ethiopian. Otherwise name any cuisine, and the LA food scene punishes the living crap out of DC's food scene.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Try Guelaguetza in Koreatown, right off Olympic Blvd. Regional cuisine from Oaxaca - you will be amazed

Also Mercadito in Boyle Heights

Old 03-02-2018, 09:46 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,532,133 times
Yeah IDK what PK 12 is talking about.

Food in LA for middle class people S-U-C-K-S. There are no Teds Bulletins or Clydes or Great American Restaurants or Rustico, etc.

Yeah you can go into the valley and get some donughts or tacos? Thats no Sweetwater Tavern or Teds Bulletin or Bluejacket or Founding Farmers.

My fiancee is fromSocal which is the only reason I live in the dump. He cant even respond when I mock the LA food scene for middle class people. And LA mexican food isnt even all its hyped to be. Vinnys and Pedros (Arlington) is better than any burrito ive had in LA/OC. San Diego has better mexican. My inlaws are Hispanic so I think I have some streetcred w this.

The only thing LA is good at is Korean,Sushi/Japanese, Poke, Ramen, donuts, etc. And I rather eat grass than most of that ****.

And for the love of god, Angelenos cannot tell a dive bar from their ass hole.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:

Food in LA for middle class people S-U-C-K-S. There are no Teds Bulletins or Clydes or Great American Restaurants or Rustico, etc.

Yeah you can go into the valley and get some donughts or tacos? Thats no Sweetwater Tavern or Teds Bulletin or Bluejacket or Founding Farmers.

My fiancee is fromSocal which is the only reason I live in the dump. He cant even respond when I mock the LA food scene for middle class people. And LA mexican food isnt even all its hyped to be. Vinnys and Pedros (Arlington) is better than any burrito ive had in LA/OC. San Diego has better mexican. My inlaws are Hispanic so I think I have some streetcred w this.

The only thing LA is good at is Korean,Sushi/Japanese, Poke, Ramen, donuts, etc. And I rather eat grass than most of that ****.

I provided some recommendations above. Consider venturing out of your comfort zone and trying them out.

It just seems like you have really really crappy taste in food.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:46 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,580,332 times
Quote:

Interesting. Watching all the food channels, you'd think LA was a top destination for foodies. Guess not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC