Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,358 times

Advertisements

What neighborhood is this considered? Logan Circle? Penn Quarter? Shaw? I've been reading those neighborhood blogs and am concerned about crime.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 03:44 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,243,365 times
I actually walked in this area (in the M & N Street areas west of the Green Line Metro Convention Center station) when I was checking out neighborhoods in the DC area a few weeks ago. It looks like a mix between some nice, newer properties, fairly well-maintained older properties, and semi-rundown older properties. Based on some crime information I found on wikipedia.org, it isn't too bad an area, but rough areas are located not too far to the north.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:47 PM

82 posts, read 567,670 times
I live a littler further east (other side of the convention center) near 3rd St. That area (10th St.) could be considered either Logan or Shaw ..it kind of lies of the boundaries of both. The location is great with the convenience to Gallery Place, Logan and downtown pretty much all you need. Yes, the area is still a little sketch, but its only getting better. Had the real estate boom continued this would not be a concern, but since it slowed so did its progress. But with the addition of the City Vista Development and Yale Condos (both closer to me) we are about to make a few big leaps in the right direction.

You have lived in the city until you have truly experinced what its like to live in an urban environment. They say wisky puts hair on the chest, well so does living in a so called "developing area." People who live in areas likr G'twon really haven't experienced city living.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:09 PM

382 posts, read 1,531,760 times
There was a drive-by shooting at 7th and N a few days ago in a bus shelter.
Most likely gang related. The WaPo did a good job hushing it up.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:18 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
There was a drive-by shooting at 7th and N a few days ago in a bus shelter. Most likely gang related. The WaPo did a good job hushing it up.
It was on page B4 (exactly where you'd expect to find it) the next morning. There was a similar incident in January in the same area. No indication of gangs being involved either time. Just stupid kids with guns. Nobody involved was more than 17...

Old 02-29-2008, 12:18 PM

Saganista- most residents in the neigborhood and the police think the shooting was gang related. As I said, the WaPo did a good job hushing it up. Try another news source.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:28 PM

For those who don't believe me. Here is an excerpt from the WaPo.

The crackle of gunfire and the smashing of glass and bone at a Northwest Washington bus stop Monday night were the sounds of a tenuous peace under assault and a neighborhood sinking back into fear.

mod cut: text removed

Shooting Tests Neighborhood's Fragile Calm - from washingtonpost.com

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-29-2008 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: cut text and inserted link

Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 PM

540 posts, read 963,028 times
We live on 13th and N. We use a dog sitter on 9th, right across the street from the convention center. Right now, I consider everything on our side of 12th to be completely safe and everything on the other side to be transitioning. I feel ok walking the area at night with the dog, but definitely prefer that my wife not be alone after dark. There are muggings on a somewhat regular basis, an occasional stolen car or home broken into, and a rare shooting incident. The DC police have a great interactive website that shows crime in different areas.

That being said, 11th and 9th still have some cleaning up to do, but it is in the process of happening. There are a lot of police patrols in the area. It won't be too long before Dupont, the Convention Center, and China Town are all connected and completely cleaned up. The neighborhood is fun to live in with tons of bars and restaurants in every direction. There are several theaters in the area, several metro stops that hit every direction, and it is easy walking distance to the White House, the Mall, Dupont, U-Street, and China Town.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:53 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
For those who don't believe me. Here is an excerpt from the WaPo.
Confused here. I thought the Post was hushing all this up and we should try a different news source...

Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 AM

Saganista - Looks like the WaPo's picking up the situation.
See
washingtonpost.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: