Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 04:02 PM

27 posts, read 42,273 times

Advertisements

I looked at a forum about wardrobe that is appropriate in DC but it is over a year old and wanted to know if there have been an recent updates....I am coming from Austin, TX and business attire here probably wouldn't cut it in DC. However, I wanted to know what types of work attire is appropriate in DC particularly those working for federal agencies? Can you see a difference between the generations? I'm in my mid 30s so I would like to hear from this particular age group as to what may be appropriate...

Any advice is appreciative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 06:46 PM

55 posts, read 145,982 times
Start off with a suit, then go from there. Depending on what Federal agency you work for. Some have uniforms, some are more casual, like khakis and a button down shirt or even polo. Are you already working for an agency or coming here to apply? If the latter, I would wear a suit until you see what the environment is like.

Regards,

Coop

ETA- I wouldn't show up in jeans and cowboy boots... if that is what TX business attire is like LOL.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:47 PM

I have a position at the EEOC HQs...I think I will try a suit...Austinites tend to dress more like casually laid back especially since Google, Facebook, Apple and the likes are here...very techie and hip with colors so I need to make sure I get back into the sophisticated look...cowboy boots...possibly with a hot pink skirt and turquoise blue t shirt! Lol!

Old 07-11-2015, 08:20 PM

13 posts, read 32,262 times
Start with a suit but in reality anything can go depending on where you work. It is a generation thing as well as we have a wide range from those in suits to those in jeans and button ups, the later are typically younger 36 and under crowd. I have noticed since I moved here last November that in the winter and early spring, it seems more formal with suits and ties but as the weather gets more warmer I have noticed it has been more casual. Fridays are typically casual at most places as well.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:31 PM

6,708 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdeville1 View Post
Start off with a suit, then go from there. some are more casual, like khakis
Yes, dress like it's 1998. Monday-Thursday, embrace the finest bureaucratic clothing traditions. On Friday, make yourself look like your selling flat screens at Best Buy.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:19 AM

566 posts, read 1,556,178 times
I don't know specifically what the dress code is at EEOC HQ, but business attire/suit and tie everyday is quite common, especially in federal agency HQ offices. I would start with suits and adapt from there. People in the government tend to either dress nicely or extremely dowdily (with more dowdy folks than stylish ones). Whatever you do, please buy things that flatter your body type and are properly tailored. In my office, the only difference between the younger and older folks is that younger staff tend to have wardrobes that are more up to date. I still regularly see big, boxy, outdated suits from the 90s on some of the older staff. Older staff also seem to gravitate to brown, black, and navy blue, whereas younger folks sometimes get daring and show a splash of color. Across the board, people tend to dress conservatively.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:42 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
It varies by agency and by GS level. At DoD (my old agency), middle managers (GS-14) usually didn't wear ties, but a few did. GS-15 and up did. Full suits for SES. Overdressing would make you look pretentious.

At HHS, most men wear just a dress shirt--maybe a tie or a jacket at GS-14 or -15. Hardly anyone wears suits other than office directors (SES or equivalent).

The State Department is an outlier in that (from what relatives tell me) almost all the guys wear suits.

First day on the job: Wear a suit (as others above have advised). No one will blame you on the first day. Use that day to observe what other guys at your level are doing.

Generally (even with suits), DC is sartorially conservative, and anything that smacks of fashion is equated with a lack of seriousness--e.g., cuff links, seersucker, bow ties (except for black or elderly men), pants that are cut really thin, etc.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:54 AM

Okay, most if you seem to be describing males... I should have said I am female but my husband can use this advice as well. So women tend to wear suits as well?

Old 07-12-2015, 11:32 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
You really need to ask the hiring manager. Asking us won't do you much good. I wear jeans and a polo everyday, but it will depend on the agency and office.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:12 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
It varies drastically depending on agency. Ive worked for agencies where u wouldnt dream to wear jeans and others where that wasn't uncommon at all. Just wear a suit the first day I guess. Im not an expert in womens clothing lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC