Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 08:50 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Hello. I made a similar thread in the Maryland forum a few weeks ago but I'd rather live in the city because I'm still young and like to be active. I look at 24 as still young. I'm orginally from Texas but moved to Virginia a few years ago and I just do not want to stay in here anymore. Nothing against VA but I just find it boring outside of Old Town and parts of Arlington and it's too expensive.

Anyway, I was looking at apartments or condos in this area and was wondering what is this area like. I know it's NW. I already been on the crime maps of DC and the area seems relatively safe but I was told by a couple co-workers to be weary (obviously, it's a city) of parts of NW east of Rock Creek Park but Georgia Ave is changing. I would like to go west of Rock Creek Park but I just don't have that type of money yet lol. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 06:56 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Its dodgy, although not quite a hellhole. There is dealing and all that entails. Plus there are some motels which attract carnal activities.

There are traditionally nicer areas nearby so it may come around eventually.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:20 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Silver Spring is really coming back strong. It's pretty close and affordable. From my experience, there's not a whole lot for singles south of there until you get to Columbia Heights. I've lived "east of the park" for the past 25 years and love the eclectic, diverse neighborhoods, but many are more family oriented than you'll probably want.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Its dodgy, although not quite a hellhole. There is dealing and all that entails. Plus there are some motels which attract carnal activities.

There are traditionally nicer areas nearby so it may come around eventually.
So is there anyplace around that area that is reasonable in price like up to 1000-1200 in price? I know it's close to the Takoma Park Metro and I have a roomate and all and he works at Walter Reed but never really gets a feel of the area because he leaves it as soon as he gets off. guess I have to walk around the area to get a feel of it myself.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Silver Spring is really coming back strong. It's pretty close and affordable. From my experience, there's not a whole lot for singles south of there until you get to Columbia Heights. I've lived "east of the park" for the past 25 years and love the eclectic, diverse neighborhoods, but many are more family oriented than you'll probably want.
I like it east of the park as well. But Silver Spring seems pretty expensive though. I haven't seen many 2 bedroom apts under the 1500 dollar range. Might as well stay in NOVA lol.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I like it east of the park as well. But Silver Spring seems pretty expensive though. I haven't seen many 2 bedroom apts under the 1500 dollar range. Might as well stay in NOVA lol.
There's some interesting housing stock just east of 16th Street, west of Georgia and north of Gallatin. It's a little landlocked as their is bus service but it's not too close to the Metro. Gentrification is just taking hold there so prices may be a bit better. In the city you have cheap and you have fully gentrified, but not both. Look up the location of Colorado Cafe, on Colorado Ave. and check out stuff around there. It may not be "singles oriented" enough for you though.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So is there anyplace around that area that is reasonable in price like up to 1000-1200 in price? I know it's close to the Takoma Park Metro and I have a roomate and all and he works at Walter Reed but never really gets a feel of the area because he leaves it as soon as he gets off. guess I have to walk around the area to get a feel of it myself.
Sure if you want to live surrounded by squalor.

More seriously, closer to TP shows signs of coming around. Find a place and hunker down until it totally turns.

Around Georgia Ave is, as I said, dodgy. Always has been.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Sure if you want to live surrounded by squalor.

More seriously, closer to TP shows signs of coming around. Find a place and hunker down until it totally turns.

Around Georgia Ave is, as I said, dodgy. Always has been.
Yeah those neighborhoods where the average house cost 1/2 million are really dodgy.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Yeah those neighborhoods where the average house cost 1/2 million are really dodgy.
There are also loads of run down apartment buildings. Besides 1/2 million inside DC is cheap.

In any case you are welcome to your own opinion and welcome to reside there. Does not change the fact that the area is a dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC