Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,766 times

Advertisements

How do you know which gangs or crews are beefing with each other. Becasue the neighborhoods are so close together how do you know where one crew stop and the other began. I just moved back to DC and now I have children, and this was so curious about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 10:06 PM

5 posts, read 20,432 times
Welcome back to DC! Depending on how long you've been gone and where you're living now, you might be very surprised by how much things have changed.

I would suggest contacting your local police district to see if there is a known gang problem in your neighborhood; however, I will say that a lot of formerly troubled areas have undergone heavy gentrification, and as a result, a lot of the gang activity has been pushed out.

There may (or may not) still be problems east of the river or north of Florida Avenue - I don't know those areas well enough to say one way or the other - but south of Florida Avenue, there's not much of a visible gang presence. While a couple of the public housing projects in the area have sporadic violence that might be crew related, things very rarely spill out into the neighborhoods.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:21 PM

465 posts, read 658,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuqueBlue View Post
Welcome back to DC! Depending on how long you've been gone and where you're living now, you might be very surprised by how much things have changed.

I would suggest contacting your local police district to see if there is a known gang problem in your neighborhood; however, I will say that a lot of formerly troubled areas have undergone heavy gentrification, and as a result, a lot of the gang activity has been pushed out.

There may (or may not) still be problems east of the river or north of Florida Avenue - I don't know those areas well enough to say one way or the other - but south of Florida Avenue, there's not much of a visible gang presence. While a couple of the public housing projects in the area have sporadic violence that might be crew related, things very rarely spill out into the neighborhoods.

I would say that is wishful thinking. DC still has a gang problem on both sides of the river.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:46 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
DC is more about crews than gangs, but there is the notorious DC Blacks gang in the prison system. The street culture in the DMV frowns on gangs, at least in black circles. I think it's usually the Hispanics and Asians with the gangs here.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:22 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
DC is more about crews than gangs,
Out of curiosity, what is the difference between a gang and a crew?

Old 12-29-2014, 09:43 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Anybody asking about gangs in DC must not be from here. We don't have gangs in DC. We have crews.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:33 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,843 times
the crews behave like gangs theyre just not a organized alliance network like bloods, crips or the folk and people nation factions in Chicago...and none of those organizations have set up shop in DC......DC is one of those cities where major gangs and drug kingpins cant take over bc the local crews are just as if not more savage than the gang who seeks to take over....only other cities ive heard of pulling that off is Oakland, New Orleans, Detroit and Philadelphia......from what i understand.......crews are still around but they dont terrorize the streets as hard as they did 7-8 years ago.....I remember the KDY 971 crews from kennedy street uptown had a LOUD rep but ive heard they dont do nearly as much in this day and age......Deep in SE I still hear about 37th Choppa City Simple City 3rd World and Barry Farms but thats about as loud as ive heard it.....

Old 12-29-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
the crews behave like gangs theyre just not a organized alliance network like bloods, crips or the folk and people nation factions in Chicago...and none of those organizations have set up shop in DC......DC is one of those cities where major gangs and drug kingpins cant take over bc the local crews are just as if not more savage than the gang who seeks to take over....only other cities ive heard of pulling that off is Oakland, New Orleans, Detroit and Philadelphia......from what i understand.......crews are still around but they dont terrorize the streets as hard as they did 7-8 years ago.....I remember the KDY 971 crews from kennedy street uptown had a LOUD rep but ive heard they dont do nearly as much in this day and age......Deep in SE I still hear about 37th Choppa City Simple City 3rd World and Barry Farms but thats about as loud as ive heard it.....
Thanks for the description. It sounds to be, though, that "crews" and "gangs" are actually the sae thing, just different terminology. While the crews may not be the well-known gangs (bloods, crips, etc), they are still gangs, correct? Am I missing something?

Old 12-29-2014, 01:11 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the difference between a gang and a crew?
Crews (at least as far as the DC region is concerned) don't throw up signs, tend to guard several blocks (can be as small as 5 blocks or as big as 16 blocks) instead of entire neighborhoods or rather a series of neighborhoods, don't be sporting colors, aren't as tightly organized as gangs sometimes, etc. But like gangs, crews do invest in the drug game, conduct territorial graffiti tagging, instigate turf wars and skirmishes, plan group stick-ups, etc.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Crews (at least as far as the DC region is concerned) don't throw up signs, tend to guard several blocks (can be as small as 5 blocks or as big as 16 blocks) instead of entire neighborhoods or rather a series of neighborhoods, don't be sporting colors, aren't as tightly organized as gangs sometimes, etc. But like gangs, crews do invest in the drug game, conduct territorial graffiti tagging, instigate turf wars and skirmishes, plan group stick-ups, etc.
Thanks. From you description, it appears that gangs are better at marketing/ branding than crews. But, maybe crews would rather be more incognito. I think I see the difference now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC