Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 05:18 PM

71 posts, read 79,002 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will shortly be back in the DC area and plan on buying our first home. We'd like to use an exclusive buyers agent.

Can anyone talk about this intelligently? Is this a good idea? Does such a thing even exist? I understand they're as rare as hen's teeth. I've only looked around casually on citydata and not come across much in the way of advice, pro or con. Also I'm wondering what ties am EBA to honor this form of contract?

Love to hear from folks that have used them, hate them, or love them. Or perhaps you are an exclusive buyers agent.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 07:03 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Used one, it rocked. Ended up getting a house below market in our target neighborhood. She knew the neighborhoods...worked out great for us. Knew the local real estate rules like the back of her hand. I would HIGHLY recommend having one within DC.

I will PM you with a great one.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:05 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
I think you should always assume your real estate agent is playing both sides. That way you won't be vulnerable.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,046 times
I personally don't think it matters. RE agents are inherently conflicted in their incentives regardless of whether they're exclusively a buyers agent or not. Ultimately they get paid on finishing a transaction as quickly as possible for as much as possible. Certainly there are real incentives to put the interests of the client first because they want a good reputation, referrals and repeat customers.

Ultimately, it comes down to: is my agent a good, competent professional that is really putting my interests first over their own financial interests of closing a deal and getting paid?

I can definitely say my Agent team (husband and wife) were in my corner. They worked with me for a year without a contract, and I think they got me way more house than I thought I could get.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:39 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Ultimately, it comes down to: is my agent a good, competent professional that is really putting my interests first over their own financial interests of closing a deal and getting paid?
You are foolish to depend upon this. You are really unlikely to ever do business with that agent again and he/she really has no incentive to put your interest ahead of his own. Agents can be useful, but putting your finances in his/her hands is not smart. A house is probably the largest single financial commitment you will make. You should educate yourself on the neighborhoods, prices, etc and use a agent as a tool to accomplish your goal.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:53 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You are foolish to depend upon this. You are really unlikely to ever do business with that agent again and he/she really has no incentive to put your interest ahead of his own. Agents can be useful, but putting your finances in his/her hands is not smart. A house is probably the largest single financial commitment you will make. You should educate yourself on the neighborhoods, prices, etc and use a agent as a tool to accomplish your goal.
You are foolish if you drew a recommendation for blind dependency from my comments that "realtors are inherently conflicted". Doing your homework on a a major transaction like a home purchase is a given, and part of that homework is selecting a good agent.

I was addressing the OP's question about whether or not they are advantaged by using an exclusive buyer's agent. My point, which I thought was very clear, is that using an exclusive buyers agent is no more a guarantee of integrity, competency or lack of conflicts than any other kind of realtor. An agent's behavior and motivations absolutely comes down to the individual agent.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:23 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
You are foolish if you drew a recommendation for blind dependency from my comments that "realtors are inherently conflicted". Doing your homework on a a major transaction like a home purchase is a given, and part of that homework is selecting a good agent.

I was addressing the OP's question about whether or not they are advantaged by using an exclusive buyer's agent. My point, which I thought was very clear, is that using an exclusive buyers agent is no more a guarantee of integrity, competency or lack of conflicts than any other kind of realtor. An agent's behavior and motivations absolutely comes down to the individual agent.
We found the first buyers agents we contacted incompetent. The one we finally dealt with knew the area well and everything which can trip up the process.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:04 AM

712 posts, read 1,093,540 times
since we're speaking about real estate agents, what are people's thoughts of Redfin and do you see them threatening the traditional real estate model? Agents get paid a salary (with a bonus) instead of just commission and that is supposed to facilitate the image of them putting your interest ahead of their own.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:33 PM

71 posts, read 79,002 times
Thank you all for your responses. It gives us some food for thought. We also found NAEBA National Association of Exclusive Buyers Agents. Their site seems to pride themselves on ethical guidelines that favor the buyer. I look forward to this truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC