Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 AM

26 posts, read 36,942 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am looking for a single adult membership in the area of Downtown Silver Spring, Takoma Park, or Upper NW DC, preferably east of the park.

- I need cardio and weight machines. Classes aren't on my radar, but that could be a bonus;
- Monthly shouldn't exceed ~$50/month, hopefully. I'm planning to move out of the area in about 6 months, so I also need a pay structure that doesn't kill me to end it in 6 months time;
- Workout windows are 5-7am and 8-10pm;
- Free and safe parking or immediate and safe access from the Red Line is a must;
- I need the motivation of a populated gym, but not CROWDED;
- I'll be going to work my way back to fitness (toning and weight loss), and I am not interested in anything on the super-social/pick-up end of the spectrum.

There's a Curves in Takoma Park - too bad it's minimal, poor-looking equipment. Are there any nicer apartment complexes with nice gyms that allow the community to join? I've read mixed reviews about the LA Fitness in Downtown SS, as well as Rock Creek Sports Club in Bethesda. I would expect Washington Sports Club in Downtown SS to be a very busy meat market, especially during the hours I can work out. SS YMCA doesn't give their pricing online but I would expect them to be a bit more expensive than my budget, and they are about as far out as I can travel (still doable if I am wrong on expense).

Thanks for any leads or additional information on the gyms I have mostly ruled out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 11:24 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,295,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13stars View Post
Hi. I am looking for a single adult membership in the area of Downtown Silver Spring, Takoma Park, or Upper NW DC, preferably east of the park.

- I need cardio and weight machines. Classes aren't on my radar, but that could be a bonus;
- Monthly shouldn't exceed ~$50/month, hopefully. I'm planning to move out of the area in about 6 months, so I also need a pay structure that doesn't kill me to end it in 6 months time;
- Free and safe parking or immediate and safe access from the Red Line is a must;
- I'll be going to work my way back to fitness (toning and weight loss), and I am not interested in anything on the super-social/pick-up end of the spectrum.

There's a Curves in Takoma Park - too bad it's minimal, poor-looking equipment. Are there any nicer apartment complexes with nice gyms that allow the community to join? I've read mixed reviews about the LA Fitness in Downtown SS, as well as Rock Creek Sports Club in Bethesda. I would expect Washington Sports Club in Downtown SS to be a very busy meat market, especially during the hours I can work out. SS YMCA doesn't give their pricing online but I would expect them to be a bit more expensive than my budget, and they are about as far out as I can travel (still doable if I am wrong on expense).

Thanks for any leads or additional information on the gyms I have mostly ruled out.
If you're looking for under $50 - you may want to rule Sports Club out which I believe is close to TWICE that. I have a passport membership with them through my job. Whenever I'm in town, I go to the one near Dupont Circle on Connecticut Av. While it's very good and you have access to all of their gyms in the cities they're in (Boston, NY, Philadelphia, DC) - it doesn't sound like it fits in with your needs.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,463,518 times
$50 seems pretty tough to find, but check your health insurance. I get my gym membership through Aetna, and a $100/mo gym costs me $68/mo.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:53 PM

Thanks. I have BCBS - haven;t heard of it helping with membership, but I will definitely look into it. I am not stuck on $50, but I think the Y is just over $70, so I'd probably go that route if I can't find anything reasonable in the $50ish range.

Any comments on LA Fitness? Yelp reviews are not awesome.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:55 PM

I had BCBS last year. They definitely do it. Here is the program.

https://member.carefirst.com/wps/por...fitnesscenters

Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,435,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13stars View Post

In the Dupont/Foggy Bottom areas, both the LA Fitness on L Street and the Golds Gym on 19th Street should both keep you just under the $50 range and both have a good selection of equipment and decent hours.. The Farrugut metro stations are fairly closeby to both, a few blocks away in a very safe area of NW DC..

Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 AM

Default Defunct program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
I had BCBS last year. They definitely do it. Here is the program.

https://member.carefirst.com/wps/por...fitnesscenters

Ooh - that looked so encouraging, but the links within that page aren't working for me. Defunct program? Anyone know?

Old 01-13-2014, 12:06 PM

Oops, the BCBS program is called "Healthways - Fitness Your Way" now. Looks like it's the same type of deal.

https://www.blue365deals.com/daily_deals/56509

Old 01-13-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Oops, the BCBS program is called "Healthways - Fitness Your Way" now. Looks like it's the same type of deal.

https://www.blue365deals.com/daily_deals/56509
Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: