Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:52 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,264,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I think spreading jobs around would be good too. Obviously that's not as easy (hell, none of these ideas are) but having a ton of employment centers in NoVA and MoCo and relatively fewer elsewhere (cough cough, PG) definitely doesn't do us any favors for congestion.
There are employment centers in PG county just not enough to sustain the 900K working adults and their children that live there. Also who work in the DC suburbs have a tendency to live far from their jobs. No one at my job in Herndon actually lives in Herndon or even Chantilly. I've had coworkers that lived in Glen Burnie (he obviously works home), Frederick (yes used to drive in everyday obscenely early), Winchester, Manassas, Springfield (me), Lorton, and Fredericksburg to name a few.

At my old job in Fairfax it was the same story. Even a gal coming in everyday from Bowie (she didn't last). The gal in Bowie could've gotten a house for the same price in Manassas I'm sure but actually chose Bowie AFTER getting transferred out to Fairfax. Bless her heart. Having lots of black middle class neighbors must be nice I'm sure but at the cost of one's commute (and sanity)?

So yes we have to take some responsibility for choices made. Bowie to Fairfax??? Craziness. Then you've got the Winchester and Frederick commuters. Oh brother crazy people out there. As George Clinton once told us "God bless Chocolate City and her vanilla suburbs".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC