Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:13 PM

786 posts, read 4,733,123 times

Advertisements

I suspect that 99% of suburban residents have never drove to the so called bad side of DC. I am talking about the high crime areas where there is an edge to the air. What I enjoy about visiting the bad side of town is seeing the human experience in full glory. I see so many people hanging out and bored and miserable looking. It seems like so many of them have alot of time on their hands and are really struggling with what life has given them so far.

Most people on this board I suspect will only live in or visit NW DC which is very upper middle class and safe. It does not have the edge to it that is common in lower income neighborhoods.

Would you visit the low income section of your hometown?

Old 08-21-2007, 03:33 PM

13 posts, read 70,253 times
Do you live in one of these areas?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 PM

70 posts, read 294,220 times
I used to drive through Anacostia on my way to Deale MD. If the light was red, I ran it.

There is no way you would find me (at least alive) in the projects of New Orleans. It's just not a wise move, even for residents of other housing projects since they are all into turf protection..

Old 08-21-2007, 10:17 PM

4 posts, read 18,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I suspect that 99% of suburban residents have never drove to the so called bad side of DC. I am talking about the high crime areas where there is an edge to the air. What I enjoy about visiting the bad side of town is seeing the human experience in full glory. I see so many people hanging out and bored and miserable looking. It seems like so many of them have alot of time on their hands and are really struggling with what life has given them so far.

Most people on this board I suspect will only live in or visit NW DC which is very upper middle class and safe. It does not have the edge to it that is common in lower income neighborhoods.

Would you visit the low income section of your hometown?
Ya,Guy asked me if i wanted weed.I recommended don't go there thats Gang territory Moderator cut: Insulting/offensive

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-15-2007 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-22-2007, 02:03 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
Its not bad, just dumb young knucklehead killing each other over drugs/money...Bad would be Darfur

Old 08-22-2007, 07:10 PM

415 posts, read 1,961,051 times
Yes, I used to go through some rough parts of SE on the ambulance. Even being a white male, I never felt threatened. I just used some common sense. Example- showing the ambulance to some kids who were interested (kids are always interested in emergency vehicles!), the mother came out to thank us, no spouting off of the horrible white man (not that I expected any, but many on the forum seem to think that's what will happen). Everyone notices acts of kindness.
Of course, we just kept driving when the 6 guys were beating the snot out of the guy on Valley Ave SE with a baseball bat (yes, we did call the cops). There are some things I don't tempt fate on!
NE always seemed nicer to me than SE did. I remember the first time I went into SW, I was expecting a war zone for some reason! It was pretty decent. Then of course there's the money in NW...

Old 08-22-2007, 07:19 PM

68 posts, read 110,084 times
I was doing odd jobs one summer as a University student. My job was to clean up a row house located at 407 Q. St, NW. Dirty diapers and dirty needles in the same shovel full of debris. That was 1986; my friend had paid 40K. There was also a lot of TVs in the area. I would bet the only difference now is that it is 13 times more expensive.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:29 AM

82 posts, read 267,942 times
I travel thought SE every time i go to DC.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
I've had the bad luck to have to drive through SE a few times. Scared me to death. Couldn't pay me to live there.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:31 AM

263 posts, read 1,097,506 times
To be honest, you should be "on guard" wherever you are in DC. Crime and criminals are EVERYWHERE - especially in NW where all the "high class" people are! You're probably just as likely to be robbed in NW than in SE because guess what...the criminals know that's where the money is and people are not as on guard because they think they're in a "safe" area. There's no such thing as a safe area anymore. Yes, some areas are safer, but stuff goes down in Georgetown just like it does on Benning Road...its just not reported on the nightly news as much.

My advice be on guard at all times. Just my $.02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: