Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,716,145 times

Advertisements

People talk about going to all the destinations in the area, from Tysons to Annapolis, but I've never heard anyone ever say they're going to National Harbor. Is it popular? Is it nice? In most areas it seems like it would be a major attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 07:39 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,722,783 times
I went once, mainly because my parents got a good hotel deal and decided to check it out for a weekend. It's fine, but the restaurants were kind of "meh" and (the biggest issue, in my mind) parking is tight and expensive. Considering that it's a hassle, at best, to get there without a car, I think it's crazy that all the parking is either in a paid garage (which I believe was flat-rate for the entire day) or $2 per hour at a meter (i.e. the same price as in downtown DC). Just the parking alone is enough for me to say I'd rather go elsewhere.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:45 PM

195 posts, read 473,892 times
It's nice, but parking is expensive. I've taken my kids to the Children's Museum preview center there, and have parked there to walk across the Wilson Bridge (just for the view). The Peeps store is definitely unique. It's not the same sort of destination shopping center as Tysons is, nor is it as quaint as Annapolis is. But it is nice.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 15,864 times
Its just ok -- not anything amazing. The Cadillac Ranch is a fun little spot, with the mechanical bull & all. But, I agree, the parking is ridiculous. I have stayed in a suite at the Gaylord before and its a lovely hotel. And we have been to the ICE @ the National Harbor event twice at Christmas season. That was fun for our daughter. I live within 15 mins of the Natl Harbor, and just normally don't go down there. Kind of a hassle and inconvenient, all in all.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:13 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,917,101 times
I think one of the biggest things they could do to guarantee the success of the development, is to offer free parking--at least for a few hours, since public transit isn't really an option to get there. I don't consider the parking fares horribly outrageous, and I wouldn't mind paying them if there was more of a draw to go there. But they've got to do more to entice people out there. I've heard talk that they are going to add a outlet mall there?

I've gone twice, but for specific reasons. Not a place I think of when I'm considering where to go out on a Friday night or a weekend afternoon.

Last edited by kodaka; 06-08-2011 at 08:25 PM..

Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,004 times
Only time I went there was for dinner after seeing Cirque du Soleil. The dinner was at a restaurant inside the Gaylord. Seemed like a nice area but it's just a bit too far removed for me. It doesn't seem to have any restaurants that are truly destination dining (whereas I'd gladly drive up to Frederick to eat at Volt).

e: I'm sure if I lived close by I'd go more often. And of course I would need a car, since as others have pointed out it's a pain to get to by public transportation.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 PM

27,617 posts, read 28,714,640 times
I've been to National Harbor a few times. I was there during the July 4th fireworks last year. It was actually very good, the river view is amazing. A nice alterntaive to D.C.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-08-2011 at 10:33 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,997,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I think one of the biggest things they could do to guarantee the success of the development, is to offer free parking--at least for a few hours, since public transit isn't really an option to get there. I don't consider the parking fares horribly outrageous, and I wouldn't mind paying them if there was more of a draw to go there. But they've got to do more to entice people out there. I've heard talk that they are going to add a outlet mall there?

I've gone twice, but for specific reasons. Not a place I think of when I'm considering where to go out on a Friday night or a weekend afternoon.
I don't see that ever happening. They are trying their hardest not to attract certain crowds and so far it's working. They might reduce parking, but the moment they make it free is when that place will go downhill.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:23 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,084,880 times
All of you: there have already been several lengthy discussions about NH, here on the "Maryland suburbs" forum section.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 AM

27,617 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
All of you: there have already been several lengthy discussions about NH, here on the "Maryland suburbs" forum section.
That's true. However, it's interesting to get it from a "DC" perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC