Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,875 times

Advertisements

EDIT! I meant NE, not ME

I'm a grad student and I'm currently looking for apartment in city proper. Being a grad student there's only so much I can afford, so I've pretty much narrowed it down to two places:

15th and. Penn Near Potomac Ave Metro (Between Penn Ave and K)
and
Webster St. at Brookland/CUA

I want something near metro and grocery, where i don't have to drive or go far.

The plus I'm thinking with potomac ave is that it's a 5-10 minute walk to the subway and near eastern market.

The plus I'm thinking with Webster and Brookland is that it's near my uni. (catholic u).

Sometimes my best friend visits from nc and she has a 7month old, and I'm just trying to figure out which place would be safer for her. I have class at night so if she has to go out, I'd rather her be able to go to the grocery store if she needs to.

I really like eastern market but I'm unsure of the safety of the potomac ave area, I know to use street smarts, but let's face it, you usually stand out more if you don't fit a demeographic of an area, so it's tough to call.

Potomac ave seems to be gettin gmore gentrified and Brookland really doesn't have anything around it.

please let me know your thoughts on safety and generally more things to do.
[mod]fixed it for you. Yac[/mod]

Last edited by Yac; 01-17-2011 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: TYPO IN THE TITLE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:42 PM

423 posts, read 645,928 times
Webster Street is more so in Michigan Park or New Town than Brookland. Its a lot more quieter than Potomac Ave and safer. Its mostly middle-upper middle class families in that area. You'd have to catch a bus to the metro station though.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:25 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
I'd pick Potomac Ave., mainly because you're right on the Metro and you're so much closer to places you'll actually want to be (in addition to development near the Potomac Ave. metro station, which includes a Harris Teeter grocery store). Brookland/Michigan Park can be very isolated--there's very little nearby, and it can be very quiet. Michigan Park also doesn't have a Metro station within close proximity.

There are some safety concerns around Potomac Avenue, largely related to a couple of public housing developments nearby. But the area is considerably better than it was 10-15 years ago, and is situated much more closely to areas like Barrack's Row/Eastern Market, which are great places to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC