Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:09 AM

63 posts, read 244,612 times

Advertisements

There's a general rule when looking for a place in the DC area...stay west. I was wondering, what's the limit on how far east you can go while staying relatively safe? I found a place on 9th Street in the NE quad between H and I street and wanted to know if it was in a decently safe area (yes I've looked at a crime map)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 09:03 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times
The classic rule is not to go east of 16th Street NW (unless it's capitol hill)

Old 07-24-2010, 10:01 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
The emphasis on that statement should be "classic"--it's outdated by at least 20 years. Many of the DC neighborhoods that have seen the most growth in the last decade have all been east of 16th Street: Logan Circle, U Street/Shaw, Columbia Heights, H Street NE, etc.

A more accurate statement would be that there are no real "no-go" neighborhoods west of 16th Street, and increasingly many fine neighborhood east of it, although you are advised to be more selective about it.

As to your inquiry about the property on 9th Street NE between H and I--personally, I would have no problem living there. It's still a transitioning area, so it's not going to be as developed as, say, Dupont Circle. But there are a slew of restaurants, bars and shops going in along H Street, with much more development on the way. The streetcar tracks are being laid on H Street as we speak, which will take you right to Union Station (and the Red Line), and many of the homes around there are being renovated and look quite nice.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:37 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
I'm waiting for the day when the entire stretch between Capitol Hill and the National Shrine will be gentrified. Will it ever happen?

Old 07-24-2010, 03:09 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,580 times
Quote:
Have you been here in the last 10 years?

Old 07-24-2010, 04:45 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie86 View Post
There's a general rule when looking for a place in the DC area...stay west. I was wondering, what's the limit on how far east you can go while staying relatively safe?
Rule of 13s

if you're in NW north of downtown, you want to be on a street number higher than 13th, if you're in SE you want to be on a street lower than 13th

if you're in NE, you also want to be lower than 13th, but also south of Florida Ave

Old 07-24-2010, 04:52 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Quote:
been 1 homicide this year in the entire area of the city west of 16th and south of Mass Ave, but 7 between 9th and 16th NW

it's still a reasonable dividing line for people who don't want to be in transitional areas like Col Heights

biggest drop in crime east of 16th last few years has been in SE around Nats Park and Barracks Row, not in NW

Old 07-24-2010, 05:16 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
been 1 homicide this year in the entire area of the city west of 16th and south of Mass Ave, but 7 between 9th and 16th NW

it's still a reasonable dividing line for people who don't want to be in transitional areas like Col Heights

biggest drop in crime east of 16th last few years has been in SE around Nats Park and Barracks Row, not in NW

That's why I said "classic" in my post--if it's 13th street now, so be it.

You make a good point about the transitional area--not everyone wants feels okay being on the safe block when there is still violent crime going on 5 blocks east. Some people would rathter be 5 miles from that stuff. Remember, the criminals don't always say "oh, this this the gentrify line, we can't do crimes here" -- in the words of Donald Rumsfeld, "stuff happens."

Old 07-24-2010, 06:51 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm waiting for the day when the entire stretch between Capitol Hill and the National Shrine will be gentrified. Will it ever happen?
I drove by the basilica the other day and the area seemed alright. Not much there though.

Now, I wonder if the area on Benning Road will ever gentrify. Drove on it today, man that area looks really rough.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
ha ha. good one.

Quote:
That's why I said "classic" in my post--if it's 13th street now, so be it.
Yeah, stay west of 13th St NE/SE maybe. Have you even been to the District?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC