Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 05:24 PM

15 posts, read 34,628 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of relocating to the WDC area for work and will be working at the WDC VA Medical Center on 50 Irving St NW. We are looking to live in either of the following places:

Arlington
Alexandria
Falls Church
Tyson's Corner
Reston

Wondering what the commute would be like for these places. As of I now I am likely looking at a 330 pm to Midnight shift so hoping to avoid major traffic congestion, but having never driven in the area I have no idea what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 09:42 PM

28 posts, read 67,612 times
For the most part, you will be going against traffic. Your worst part will definitely be your trip along the SE/SW Freeway and Interstate 395 North (3rd Street Tunnel).

When you get settled in, just do a couple of test runs. Then you will know how much time to give yourself when leaving your residence for VA Hospital.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:22 PM

37 posts, read 90,467 times
I currently work at the VAMC(I'm one of your union reps, just in case you ever need us, btw) and out of the locations on your list, I would have to recommend Reston or Tyson's Corner/McLean for the following reasons:

1. Arlington, Falls Church, and pretty much anything along the I-66 corridor is a terrible commute no matter the time of day, whereas you should be fine coming around the Beltway heading East.

2. From McLean, you can avoid the Beltway altogether by coming across Chain Bridge Rd and taking a cross town shortcut behind the National Zoo.(I can post the exact directions if you need them)

I used to work a part time job in McLean after my tour at the VAMC and would make the drive during the week. McLean is by far your best choice. It has exceptional schools, low crime, and contrary to some people's perceptions, some affordable housing choices as well.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiedelJ View Post
I currently work at the VAMC(I'm one of your union reps, just in case you ever need us, btw) and out of the locations on your list, I would have to recommend Reston or Tyson's Corner/McLean for the following reasons:

1. Arlington, Falls Church, and pretty much anything along the I-66 corridor is a terrible commute no matter the time of day, whereas you should be fine coming around the Beltway heading East.

2. From McLean, you can avoid the Beltway altogether by coming across Chain Bridge Rd and taking a cross town shortcut behind the National Zoo.(I can post the exact directions if you need them)

I used to work a part time job in McLean after my tour at the VAMC and would make the drive during the week. McLean is by far your best choice. It has exceptional schools, low crime, and contrary to some people's perceptions, some affordable housing choices as well.

Thanks for the heads up and nice to connect with a fellow VA employee! I will try to focus on the McLean/Tyson's Corner area! One more question....is there easy public transportation from this area to the VA? From my research, it doesn't look like public transportation would be a good option, but just thought I would check.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citypatrol610 View Post
For the most part, you will be going against traffic. Your worst part will definitely be your trip along the SE/SW Freeway and Interstate 395 North (3rd Street Tunnel).

When you get settled in, just do a couple of test runs. Then you will know how much time to give yourself when leaving your residence for VA Hospital.

I will definitely be doing a few test runs . My commute for the last 2 1/2 years has been 5 minutes! I am very spoiled right now and I am sure it will take some adjustment time to get used to having to deal with traffic again!

Old 07-14-2010, 04:24 PM

37 posts, read 90,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu16 View Post
Thanks for the heads up and nice to connect with a fellow VA employee! I will try to focus on the McLean/Tyson's Corner area! One more question....is there easy public transportation from this area to the VA? From my research, it doesn't look like public transportation would be a good option, but just thought I would check.
From Tyson/McLean, the answer is not right now. It's sort of a trade-off. The other areas you mentioned are better for public transportation, but much worse for traffic. There is public transportation in McLean, it's just not as extensive as the other areas. It just happens to be a much nicer area to live, IMO.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiedelJ View Post
From Tyson/McLean, the answer is not right now. It's sort of a trade-off. The other areas you mentioned are better for public transportation, but much worse for traffic. There is public transportation in McLean, it's just not as extensive as the other areas. It just happens to be a much nicer area to live, IMO.
My husband is currently in the area staying with family in Centreville and I am sending him on a mission of checking out all the areas so when I secure a transfer we will have it narrowed down to a few places. Thanks for your suggestions thus far.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,715 times
Looking to commute from Martinsburg, WV to VAMC at 50 Irving St DC. Anyone have ideas on possible commute options?
Commuter Buses? Metro? ????

Old 12-12-2014, 09:08 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,963,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1getpd View Post
Looking to commute from Martinsburg, WV to VAMC at 50 Irving St DC. Anyone have ideas on possible commute options?
Not live in West Virginia. You have one option, and that is to drive a horrible commute.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:08 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,579,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1getpd View Post
Start your own new thread. This thread is four years old. A lot of people are going to miss your question because it's at the bottom.

To try to answer your question, the MARC train will probably be your best option. Martinsburg is many many miles too far out for the Metro.

Last edited by stateofnature; 12-12-2014 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: