Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:05 AM

27,683 posts, read 28,791,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
I recommend a masters or owning your own company.
Actually yes, a graduate or doctorate degree may be preferable. But I wasn't trying to sound too scary. Owning your own company might work out if you can play your cards right. But it's going to be a lot of work.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-28-2010 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 06:48 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,159,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaskar002r View Post
What went wrong is that this city actually became liveable and started to attract good jobs. And started attracting the best and the brightest. Much like NYC was a cr@phole in the 70's.
Actually when the city got expensive enough that some of the riffraff got priced out of the market, things started to improve significantly. You're spot on sbhaskar002r, what attracts educated people is other educated people. The city started it's upward spiral in the mid 80s. U Street, Columbia Heights, H Street are all the result of an influx of high achievers into the District.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,259,612 times
I don't have kids but I think it is. Now I've always said that if I were to ever settle down with a family I'd never live in the city. Honestly I'm having too much fun to think about that right now but I'd be lying if I didn't say it wasn't in the back of my head.

Overall I think this is a great place to live. You just have to find the right neighborhood that fits you. I love Arlington. sometimes I think Arlington or Alexandria is a little too city for kids but love Oakton/Vienna where I used to stay for raising a family.

With that said, I have noticed more families in Capitol Hill which is becoming one of my fav neighborhoods in the city. Of course how many of those families have tons of money and send their kids to fancy NW private schools?

But going to the original question of it being worth it? Yes of course we have some of the best schools in the country. Arlington is the most educated city in the country. This place is so diverse. There are so many cultural amenities and opportunities here. Its totally worth it.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,269,320 times
This is interesting, I guess DC has a different viewpoint to this than NYC.

I use to live in NYC, and having kids and continuing to live in NYC just seemed impossible, as most likely you'd end up in NJ...which is basically nothing like NYC (in my opinion).

Whereas, it seems that in DC, people end up in pleasant NOVA...which isn't exactly the worst situation that could happen by any means.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This is interesting, I guess DC has a different viewpoint to this than NYC.

I use to live in NYC, and having kids and continuing to live in NYC just seemed impossible, as most likely you'd end up in NJ...which is basically nothing like NYC (in my opinion).

Whereas, it seems that in DC, people end up in pleasant NOVA...which isn't exactly the worst situation that could happen by any means.
A large percentage of the homes in Cleveland Park, AU Park, Chevy Chase, Tenleytown, Crestwood, Colonial Village and Shepherds Park are occupied by families with children.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
A large percentage of the homes in Cleveland Park, AU Park, Chevy Chase, Tenleytown, Crestwood, Colonial Village and Shepherds Park are occupied by families with children.
I wonder about 2 things: What is the average household income of these families? What do they tend to do when their children reach high school age?

BTW, I knew someone who owned a large sfh on Brandywine Street. He was a partner at a big law firm and made $700K/yr, not counting bonuses.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I wonder about 2 things: What is the average household income of these families? What do they tend to do when their children reach high school age?

BTW, I knew someone who owned a large sfh on Brandywine Street. He was a partner at a big law firm and made $700K/yr, not counting bonuses.
OK..... and your point is?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
OK..... and your point is?
That, unless you're in the extreme elite in terms of household income, being married with kids in the city limits of DC doesn't seem practical/safe. And even then, you'll probably get much more bang for your buck (on balance) if you move out of the city.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 AM

Homes in Shepherd Park sell for about $500 thousand.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:16 PM

13,680 posts, read 20,822,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That, unless you're in the extreme elite in terms of household income, being married with kids in the city limits of DC doesn't seem practical/safe. And even then, you'll probably get much more bang for your buck (on balance) if you move out of the city.
You are correct. I grew up in DC and went through the public school system.

I would love to live in upper NW again. However, I cannot afford a house there and have no intention of sending my kid to school there past grade school. Thus, I have been forced to that den of snobbery known as MoCo.

DC proper wins big on aethestics and culture, no doubt. But the situation you describe can make things difficult. If I had the big, big bucks, I would be back there in a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC