Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:59 AM

19 posts, read 27,449 times

Advertisements

I just read the thread about DC ghettos etc, and what started out as a somewhat interesting forum turned into a mud-slinging match between dudes from different cities saying whose city was the hardest. As dumb as that is in itself, what aggravated me the most was one poster who said DC has no culture, and all we got is people bragging about how hard it is here (that & a few monuments and politicians). Really?! As if that's our only attribute as citizens here.

How about these contributions:

Go-Go Music: Inventented here, never successfully replicated anywhere else, NE Groovers, Rare Essence, Backyard Band, etc.

DC Hardcore: Invented here, one of the first seminal HC punk music scenes ever in the US, Minor Threat, State of Alert, Government Issue, etc.

Straight Edge: Invented here, a Youth subculture against drugs, booz & illicit sex, DC clubs put X's on minors hands & Minor Threat started the movement.

U Street Corridor: Prominent jazz clubs for decades, Ben's Chili Bowl, Lincoln Theatre, etc.

The list could go on and on. DC ain't just about hard neighborhoods.

*And don't forget DC invented Mumbo Sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 08:14 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,708,766 times
What exactly is in mumbo sauce anyway? Do we wanna know?

Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,961,016 times
Tell em'!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:54 PM

Don't care about these things all you want. I'm just saying when people say DC has no culture, I lose my mind because this city is filled to the brim with culture and I'd think I'd be a damn shame if all we were known for was bad neighborhoods. *And if you don't know what mumbo sauce is, don't say yer from DC.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:09 PM

And yeah, for the whole "Mumbo Sauce" debate, it's some sort of hot suace, old bay, pepper sauce concoction that's been used at corner stores and take-out joints for years- used on wings, ribs, etc. Totally a DC staple.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:32 AM

Mumbo sauce or mambo sauce, I don't know the spelling to tell ya the truth, is awesome. Definetely a DC thing. I first got my fix on it on Georgia Avenue at Wings n' Things when I lived on Georgia & Ingraham NW. Rough area at the time. Don't know if that neighborhood has improved but I saw some crazy **** living there.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:20 PM

2,923 posts, read 2,589,158 times
Default Good for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitches77 View Post
I just read the thread about DC ghettos etc, and what started out as a somewhat interesting forum turned into a mud-slinging match between dudes from different cities saying whose city was the hardest. As dumb as that is in itself, what aggravated me the most was one poster who said DC has no culture, and all we got is people bragging about how hard it is here (that & a few monuments and politicians). Really?! As if that's our only attribute as citizens here.

Go-Go Music: Inventented here, never successfully replicated anywhere else, NE Groovers, Rare Essence, Backyard Band, etc.

DC Hardcore: Invented here, one of the first seminal HC punk music scenes ever in the US, Minor Threat, State of Alert, Government Issue, etc.

Straight Edge: Invented here, a Youth subculture against drugs, booz & illicit sex, DC clubs put X's on minors hands & Minor Threat started the movement.

U Street Corridor: Prominent jazz clubs for decades, Ben's Chili Bowl, Lincoln Theatre, etc.

Stitches,

good for you for bringing some positive information about DC to the forefront. Our culture has been conditioned to expect negative information and will even search for it if it's not forthcoming. It takes people like yourself, who see the positive, to enlighten those who don't know these positive things exist. Thanks a lot! Keeping doing it. Don't let the naysayers and negative people talk you out of it. And you were right, whomever the two men were who were arguing about how "hard" their city is just dumb. They are a part of the problem, not the solution. For those who may not know being the hardest city appears to be something to brag about to the poor ignorant person who has a ghetto mindet. In reality, hardest city is really translated to: most crime-ridden, half the males with criminal records/been to prison or jail, more deaths for Black males ages 15-35 due to violence, large fatherlessness population birth out-of-wedlock type, with over-burdened matriarchs community.

P.S- And just what is Mumbo sauce? Remember that people from all over the world read these posts, not just people who live in DC. They (we) have no idea what that is.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:34 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,803,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitches77 View Post

AWWW, no you didn't say "mumbo sauce"!

You went back IN the day.

The day of coming home late from the clubs. Stopping at the asian spot and ordering 2wings and fries...mumbo sauce, salt and pepper! My gf would get steak and cheese. We would share the greasey goodness!!

OMGosh, now those were the days.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,738,827 times
Back on topic people, please. No need to get personal.
Yac.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:22 AM

My original point of this thread has turned to a mambo sauce thread. I guess I have only myself to blame. It's great though, Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC