Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,724,920 times

Advertisements

scrapper105: Well, Univ. Park is different and from what I hear doesn't have much crime and is very livable. PG Plaza and the new development there is actually nice as well, but it does have it's fair share of crime due mostly to surrounding communities such as some parts of Hyattsville. Last year IIRC there was a shooting in front of the Target there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 04:30 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,847,172 times
University Park is right next to PG Plaza. I've always wondered how they keep the crime from University Park?

Old 06-13-2009, 10:07 AM

Univ. Park is a slightly isolated "enclave" like Berwyn Heights or Ft Washington, although the former is suurounded by decent areas. I read about a incident in Univ. Park about a month or two ago and residents were quoted saying how low the crime rate was and how happy they were with it.

Here's the article: Student Robbed at Gunpoint in University Park (http://media.www.diamondbackonline.com/media/storage/paper873/news/2009/01/26/News/Student.Robbed.At.Gunpoint.In.Univ.Park-3596847.shtml - broken link)

Don't really like how they dragged College Park's name through the mud though...

Old 06-18-2009, 10:34 AM

20 posts, read 78,543 times
All of the choices you mentioned have "nice area" mixed with "rundown". It really depends on where in those areas you choose to live. You have to do your homework in all of these areas. I like your idea of renting first so you can see for yourself.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,389 times
I'm puzzled by the oft-stated preferences for Takoma Park over College Park.

I fell for this when I moved to the DC area a year ago and now live in Takoma Park. The taxes are high, neighbors are inconsiderate with barking dogs, and many storefronts are empty. People who earn average wages cannot afford the housing prices.

I'm seriously thinking about moving to the more affordable and vibrant College Park area.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimpO View Post

I fell for this when I moved to the DC area a year ago and now live in Takoma Park. The taxes are high, neighbors are inconsiderate with barking dogs, and many storefronts are empty. People who earn average wages cannot afford the housing prices.

I'm seriously thinking about moving to the more affordable and vibrant College Park area.
Haha, I wouldn't call College Park "vibrant," although it is affordable (if you know where to look). It's decent, and not really new or exciting, but it's not run down or crime infested either. From I've been going there, the area hasn't really changed much (for good or bad). Some businesses such as WaWa's and an antique bookstore have closed, but they replace them with different ones. The only thing new in College Park is the M Square UMD research park near the Metro station, and hopefully the East Campus development will be built in the future.

I've been to Takoma Park numerous times and I prefer it (the Silver Spring side, not the Langley Park side). There's a reason why it costs more to live there...

Old 08-19-2009, 10:14 AM

2,293 posts, read 3,947,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimpO View Post

The taxes are high because you live in a nuclear-free zone. The Star Wars technology is costly to maintain.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,389 times
Thank you - these posts are VERY helpful.

I'm looking to purchase a home and I need something to justify high property taxes (in excess of $9000 on homes that cost less than $500,000), which must be paid year after year after year.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:28 AM

810 posts, read 2,164,290 times
another consideration for you may be purple line access which is slated to have 2 or 3 stations in cp and go through greenbelt. it's not a go yet but hopefully it'll be done in 6-8 yrs. I believe 2016 is slated if started in 2013?
I believe university pk right by hyattsville is safe. pretty small only 4 thousand some people. has it's own police station. high median income.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:52 AM

810 posts, read 2,164,290 times
this one has very high ratings in hyattsville about a mile fromthe metro
Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland