Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,540 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking at homes outside of Washington DC and like the Olney/Brookeville area. We have looked at Tanterra and Olney Mill does anybody know anything about those communities. We have two Middle School children who enjoy swimming in the summer so an active pool is important. We are moving from overseas this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 04:38 PM

106 posts, read 442,206 times
I know Olney Mills has a swim club. It is part of the Montgomery County Swim league so I assume it is pretty active. There is also a neighborhood in Olney call Norbeck Grove. They also have a swim team. When will you be moving here? The swim teams usually start mid-may and finish up end of July. If your kids are interested in year round swimming there are a few leagues they can be part of. If you want more info PM me.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,917 times
I grew up in Olney and went to Rosa Parks middle school which is where your kids will go if you live in Olney Mill. Overall Olney is a nice town and Rosa Parks is a very good school. They have a homework hotline and have activity buses so your kids can stay after school and still take the bus home.

Also the Olney indoor pool is not too far and it is huge and a lot of fun for younger kids. I haven't been there in years but it was pretty cool when I was there.

The only problems with Olney is that it is extremely crowded (relative to years ago), expensive and some of the gang bangers and crime are migrating from DC to Silver Spring to Aspen Hill/Wheaton and now into Olney...

My Dad still lives there and really likes it but I prefer a slightly less crowded area...

Old 03-16-2009, 08:42 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
My uncle lived in Tanterra for years back in the 70s and 80s. While it looks quite nondescript on the outside, I loved the inside of his house- a latter Mid Century aethestic. He also had a huge lot. The neighbors were all seemingly normal. The pool was outdoors and quite nice.

I drove through again a couple of years ago when I was house hunting and everything looked the same.

Olney was much more rural back then and Tanterra was the newest construction. Now Tanterra almost qualifies as a historic district, relatively speaking. There are more developments now, but nothing beyond the norm.

Brookeville still retains a somewhat rural ambience on the county line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland