Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 04:36 AM

4 posts, read 34,745 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am about to go through pilot training for the Air Force and will be stationed at Andrews AFB in Camp Springs. Right now I live in Colorado, so I was wondering if someone could help me out with nice and safe places to live within a 30-40 minute commute to the base. I am an avid cyclist, so it would be nice to have rural country roads accessible to ride on that doesn't have a lot of traffic, but is still near a downtown area. My wife and I are relatively young and we enjoy going out for a nice meal or a few drinks every once and awhile.

So far, I was thinking about looking into Columbia, Fort Washington and Waldorf. Are these places worth looking into any farther?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:00 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,715 times
Clinton is nice and very close to AAFB so is Upper MArlboro. I live in Upper MArlboro and I am 10 minutes driving distant away from AAFB.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:10 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,220,300 times
sir I highly recommend Upper Marlboro because of proximity...You have to see and experience the traffic inorder to understand the importance of living next to your job. Traffic will be like nothing you ever seen before, unless you lived in chicago or LA.....Columbia is just to far. I know people who made the commute to andrews from columbia and they got up real early....

Old 07-17-2008, 02:31 PM

5 posts, read 35,414 times
My employees say Upper Marlboro is best.

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-17-2008 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: Sorry but this is a relocation forum.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 PM

512 posts, read 1,635,613 times
Upper Marlboro, Fort Washington, Clinton, Brandywine and Waldorf are all good options. Columbia is way too far. Depends on your budget and if school is an issue. We have a lot of military folks down in Waldorf.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 9,986 times
I would definitely recommend the columbia area (howard county) over any of the other areas listed. There are areas on the outskirts of columbia that are definitely more rural. Also you are afforded many great parks with trails to ride. Columbia has many great restaurants, malls, cultural activities. It was rated one of the best places to live in america. Also, if you plan to have kids down the road, it also has terrific schools. Good luck.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:41 AM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,025 times
My opinion is to look in Southern Anne Arundel or Northern Calvert County. Deale or North Beach, Chesapeake Beach areas. PG is not the greatest place to live IMO....but if I did have to live there it would probably be in Upper Marlboro.

I did grow up in PG and my father worked 41 years total service at Bolling and Andrews AFB's. Work is bringing our family back to Maryland in August as well (wife is Navy) and is being sent to Bethesda Naval Hospital. We're going to miss San Diego and not for the obvious reasons (Weather) but the people here are great and for a BIG suburban area its the safest place "crime wise" I've ever lived.

The first two counties could put you in rural areas and your not to far from Annapolis for entertainment. But like others have said the traffic is going to be a problem anywhere you live, except if you live in Clinton or Camp Springs. One look is worth a thousand words as they say though.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:03 PM

331 posts, read 1,197,804 times
Race is an issue. I don't know why people don't just come right out and say it.

I would recommend Clinton. I teach in Clinton. I consider Clinton, Upper Marlboro, Fort Washington, Brandywine (all places that other posters have mentioned) to be excellent choices for you to live considering what you like to do. You like to cycle on country roads and have a night out on the town every now and then. The National Harbor in Fort Washington/Oxon Hill has just been built. That's a good place to hang out without commuting into downtown DC.

But the above communities are predominantly black. Some people of other races don't feel comfortable with that.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:40 AM

646 posts, read 2,667,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprints View Post
Hello,

I am about to go through pilot training for the Air Force and will be stationed at Andrews AFB in Camp Springs. Right now I live in Colorado, so I was wondering if someone could help me out with nice and safe places to live within a 30-40 minute commute to the base. I am an avid cyclist, so it would be nice to have rural country roads accessible to ride on that doesn't have a lot of traffic, but is still near a downtown area. My wife and I are relatively young and we enjoy going out for a nice meal or a few drinks every once and awhile.

So far, I was thinking about looking into Columbia, Fort Washington and Waldorf. Are these places worth looking into any farther?

Thanks in advance for your help!

VA. is just across the New Wilson Bridge and there is a great bike /hiking path that goes from Mt Vernon to Reagan National also you have great night life in Alexandria and Old Town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland