Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 5,406 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I currently reside in Atlanta, Ga but I'm relocating to the DC area the first of August (or sooner if I find a place to live!). Not to give too much unnecessary info, but here's my situation:

I am recently separated with 4 children; 1 in highschool, 2 in elementary and our youngest is 3 months old. I was a shm and will be re-entering the work-force for the first time in a few years. We lived in Maryland several years ago in the Lanham area and moved back to Atl in 2003. I've chosen to move back to the DC metro area because I enjoyed the living experience from before. All that said, I and my children visited briefly (5 days) so that I could get a better idea of where to move to. After extensive web research I collected data from tons of sources and many places I visited were quite the opposite of what I expected.

My main concerns are safety and schools. I understand that crime exists everywhere, however I dont want to be in a neighborhood where you're afraid to leave the house lol! I've been told by friends who live in the city that PG schools (generally speaking) are terrible; which is disheartening because when we lived in MD, my oldest, who is now in highschool, went to a great elem school in PG county...anywho, We visited Baltimore, and there were definitely some nice "pockets", but virtually every post I read and some friends suggest that I should avoid B'more like it's the plague!

In a nutshell, I'm looking for a decent area not terribly far from the excitement of the city, but not in the country either....I dont do country lol! I am a fan of public transportation (keep the earth green and keep my sanity all at once), so I dont mind having to take a bus or the train to get to work. We love doing family activities and experiencing the arts is one of our favorite past times. My intentions are to rent for a while. And because of the current situation, my budget is a little low...I dont want to spend too much more than 1800. I dont mind a 2bd, although 3 would be ideal. Does ANYONE have any suggestions of which areas would best suit me and my family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 10:45 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,234,023 times
silver spring, takoma park, largo....

Old 06-28-2008, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 5,406 times
Thanks a lot for your reply!

Old 06-28-2008, 01:40 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,313,799 times
Bowie,Upper marlboro,SIlver spring,Laurel,Greenbelt.

Greenbelt has one of the best rated High school in maryland.
So you might want to look in to Greenbelt.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:32 PM

471 posts, read 1,834,205 times
I agree with all of the above except greenbelt. In my opinion it's too congested, the other areas are nicer.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 695 times
I hear Bowie and Crofton are nice areas to live. I dont know much about the school system there.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:13 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,820,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine61177 View Post
I hear Bowie and Crofton are nice areas to live. I dont know much about the school system there.
Schools are not bad there

Old 07-23-2019, 07:59 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,987,904 times
Do people ever check the date on these threads? This woman could be surfing in Maui right now.......

Old 07-23-2019, 03:35 PM

7,085 posts, read 9,623,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Do people ever check the date on these threads? This woman could be surfing in Maui right now.......
Good one!

Old 07-26-2019, 07:43 AM

833 posts, read 524,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger 68 View Post
do people ever check the date on these threads? This woman could be surfing in maui right now.......
lmao!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland