Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 07:17 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autiger92 View Post

Quoting myself for context.

Any thoughts on their agent?
The housing market has cooled a bit and prices have stabilized or even dropped a bit in most of the area. A house on the market for three months, even in the winter, either has something wrong with it or is priced too high.

It may also very well be that the owners is doing like people did 15 years ago, refusing to recognize that heir house isn't really worth what they think.

You asked how military, specifically officers, can afford the area. The answer for all rates/ranks is BAH, Basic Allowance for Housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 07:57 PM

156 posts, read 304,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The housing market has cooled a bit and prices have stabilized or even dropped a bit in most of the area. A house on the market for three months, even in the winter, either has something wrong with it or is priced too high.

It may also very well be that the owners is doing like people did 15 years ago, refusing to recognize that heir house isn't really worth what they think.

You asked how military, specifically officers, can afford the area. The answer for all rates/ranks is BAH, Basic Allowance for Housing.
But they ((can't)) afford housing. I know what he's getting for BAH. I know his rank. You know as well as I do that just because the bank approves you for x amount doesn't mean it's wise to spend that much. Maybe you are referring to rent. Yes to that. I do think rent is within reach for them. Thanks for the information on the market.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:38 PM

67 posts, read 64,235 times
What’s their budget? I can message you my brother in laws IG if you feel they need a different realtor. Market is still somewhat competitive.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:15 PM

156 posts, read 304,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Jones View Post
What’s their budget? I can message you my brother in laws IG if you feel they need a different realtor. Market is still somewhat competitive.
Feel free to message me. I appreciate that. I'm not sure exactly what their number is, but I would say 400k tops. I have told them to assume property taxes of 5-6k because the current assessed value of these homes is likely going to go up with the sale.

edit to add: their number is 425.

I have told dd that they are going to have to be less picky. They aren't going to get everything on their list--like a garage. They really don't like the cape cods in Bowie because of the master bath being so cramped/sloped roof. I told her how we old folks managed that. Wife uses bigger downstairs bath and husband uses the tiny upstairs bath. That shouldn't be a deal breaker!

Last edited by autiger92; 01-24-2023 at 09:38 PM..

Old 01-25-2023, 02:03 AM

67 posts, read 64,235 times
Quote:
Feel free to message me. I appreciate that. I'm not sure exactly what their number is, but I would say 400k tops. I have told them to assume property taxes of 5-6k because the current assessed value of these homes is likely going to go up with the sale.

edit to add: their number is 425.

I have told dd that they are going to have to be less picky. They aren't going to get everything on their list--like a garage. They really don't like the cape cods in Bowie because of the master bath being so cramped/sloped roof. I told her how we old folks managed that. Wife uses bigger downstairs bath and husband uses the tiny upstairs bath. That shouldn't be a deal breaker!
As long as they temper their expectations a little bit they should be able to find something. I PM’d you.

Old 01-25-2023, 03:47 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
This isn't true..
Maybe you didn't see the term 'responsible' describing certain LL's.
OP? You listening? THIS is the dividing line. Beware of the irresponsible sort of LL. Dogs or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I I was stunned that they charge more based on these breeds along with GS, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM_A4Skusro

Last edited by MrRational; 01-25-2023 at 03:55 AM..

Old 01-31-2023, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 426 times
Check with PG animal management to see if a breed assessment is needed for the half pit. The dog may be allowed if it is less than 51 percent pit bull.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:39 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Just curious but how is this bully bread law enforceable? Most of the ones I meet are sweet as can be.

Old 01-31-2023, 01:41 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Just curious but how is this bully bread law enforceable?
Which law?
The property owners and other liability INSURANCE carriers are the influence.
Just as the Electrical Code (and NFPA) is the creation of Insurance companies.

Old 01-31-2023, 01:48 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Just as a note, many Maryland jurisdictions have gotten away from breed specific restrictions and gone to a "dangerous dog" model.

That encompasses all breeds and are handled on a case by case basis. A Chihuahua that nips someone and is reported likely won't have to be quarantined (but will probably have to be muzzled) while a Doberman or Pit will likely be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland