Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:51 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,851 times

Advertisements

I'm seeking information about these areas with regard to housing types (mostly SFHs, townhomes, garages, etc). Rural or semi-rural? Commute time and ease to DC? Generally safe? Crime ridden?

I'm trying to get an idea for places that may have some new homes as well as established neighborhoods. Future growth potential?

What are the amenities for these areas? Any info is welcome. Thanks!

PS - if there are areas that I've left out that I may want to look at too, please list them as well.

Add'l Info: Hubby and I are mid 30s and 40; no children yet. We enjoy movies, shopping, farmers markets, live music, local fairs, art shows, etc. We are native Californians, currently living in Phoenix, AZ (we hate AZ). We need a two-car garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 05:56 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I'm seeking information about these areas with regard to housing types (mostly SFHs, townhomes, garages, etc). Rural or semi-rural? Commute time and ease to DC? Generally safe? Crime ridden?

I'm trying to get an idea for places that may have some new homes as well as established neighborhoods. Future growth potential?

What are the amenities for these areas? Any info is welcome. Thanks!

PS - if there are areas that I've left out that I may want to look at too, please list them as well.

Add'l Info: Hubby and I are mid 30s and 40; no children yet. We enjoy movies, shopping, farmers markets, live music, local fairs, art shows, etc. We are native Californians, currently living in Phoenix, AZ (we hate AZ). We need a two-car garage.
While there is a lot of wealth in the area, it is becoming very crime ridden. The commute to DC is not bad (45 min to an hour in rush hour). If you are relocating to work in DC, I would look into VA - Fairfax, Loundon, Alexandria - these areas would have the fairs, art festivals, always something going on...

Old 04-27-2008, 07:45 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,593 times
All 4 areas you listed are not crime ritten. The areas you listed are all nice,safe communities. Three of the areas are semi-rural except for Clinton.

You might want to check out Upper Marlboro as well.
Fort Washington is getting develope. Fort Washinton have the Nationa Harbor.

Brandywine is also gettting develope as well. There is a new shopping center comng to the area. You have plenty of farms in all 4 areas. I do go to the farm in Clinton but there is a farmer market in Upper Marlboro which is close to all 4 areas you mention.

The areas you mention are very very low in crime.

I live in Upper Marlboro before moving to Upper Marlboro I was looking in Fort Washington. The area I was lookign at was ckose to the National Harbor. The communities are very nice,quiet and safe. When you hear on the news about crime in PG County. Its never in the areas you mention.

Here is a link to the National Harbor which is in Fort Washignton:
National Harbor Home Page

Old 04-27-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
While there is a lot of wealth in the area, it is becoming very crime ridden. The commute to DC is not bad (45 min to an hour in rush hour). If you are relocating to work in DC, I would look into VA - Fairfax, Loundon, Alexandria - these areas would have the fairs, art festivals, always something going on...
Thanks fjennell, but I don't think we will be looking at VA. My research shows it to be quite a bit pricier - needing a two-car garage and all - and I've read that the commute from VA to DC is worse than from MD to DC...I could be wrong.

Another reason is that hubby is in federal law enforcement, and the areas that would appeal to us in VA, in our price range for what we would need in a home, have problems with MS-13 gang members...so I've read and he's confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
All 4 areas you listed are not crime ritten. The areas you listed are all nice,safe communities. Three of the areas are semi-rural except for Clinton.

You might want to check out Upper Marlboro as well.
Fort Washington is getting develope. Fort Washinton have the Nationa Harbor.

Brandywine is also gettting develope as well. There is a new shopping center comng to the area. You have plenty of farms in all 4 areas. I do go to the farm in Clinton but there is a farmer market in Upper Marlboro which is close to all 4 areas you mention.

The areas you mention are very very low in crime.

I live in Upper Marlboro before moving to Upper Marlboro I was looking in Fort Washington. The area I was lookign at was ckose to the National Harbor. The communities are very nice,quiet and safe. When you hear on the news about crime in PG County. Its never in the areas you mention.

Here is a link to the National Harbor which is in Fort Washignton:
National Harbor Home Page
Thanks for the link! I have thought about Upper Marlboro, I will continue to research that area as well.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:57 PM

9 posts, read 63,595 times
Arlington is nice and expensive but you are so close to everything. Plus you'll be inside the beltway so you would most likely be going against traffic.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:06 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,321 times
Cars are stolen from Ft. Washington all the time (my friends was the other day and he lives 5 min. from the harbor...I live right near Accokeek and the crime is getting out of hand. I think some people don't see it because they are used to it here. I am from VA and MD has been a big shock. VA is NOT more expensive when you really add up everything... the car insurance in MD is almost triple than in VA because so many cars are stolen. The gas is higher, the property taxes are higher. There are areas in VA to avoid maybe but I still would feel safer there than in some of these parts of MD you mentioned due to the crime on the rise. Plus MD has other gangs. I moved here for the commute because it was better from MD than VA but its really not worth it now that I have had my purse stolen, car broken into, friends car stolen all in the past month. The traffic is also getting bad here because of the amount of people moving here. Good luck deciding, but I would suggest really looking heavily into the crime reports and statistics and school systems also say a lot about an area too.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:04 PM

629 posts, read 946,123 times
I wouldn't say there is no gang activity in Maryland.

The commute into DC may be easier because you don't have to go over the bridges like you do from Va.

I grew up in Clinton and it was a nice area then (24 years ago!), but kind of a backwater. Do the civil war re-enactors still come to the Surratt House? Is there still a 4th of July parade with all the boys and girls club teams marching?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 PM

Default Please explain...sorry.

Quote:
Cars are stolen from Ft. Washington all the time (my friends was the other day and he lives 5 min. from the harbor...I live right near Accokeek and the crime is getting out of hand. I think some people don't see it because they are used to it here. I am from VA and MD has been a big shock. VA is NOT more expensive when you really add up everything... the car insurance in MD is almost triple than in VA because so many cars are stolen. The gas is higher, the property taxes are higher. There are areas in VA to avoid maybe but I still would feel safer there than in some of these parts of MD you mentioned due to the crime on the rise. Plus MD has other gangs. I moved here for the commute because it was better from MD than VA but its really not worth it now that I have had my purse stolen, car broken into, friends car stolen all in the past month. The traffic is also getting bad here because of the amount of people moving here. Good luck deciding, but I would suggest really looking heavily into the crime reports and statistics and school systems also say a lot about an area too.
Where did you live in VA? Where was your car broken into? Was your friend's car stolen from outside of your home? Wow! What city do you live in? You can PM me if you don't want to post it for all to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I wouldn't say there is no gang activity in Maryland.

The commute into DC may be easier because you don't have to go over the bridges like you do from Va.

I grew up in Clinton and it was a nice area then (24 years ago!), but kind of a backwater. Do the civil war re-enactors still come to the Surratt House? Is there still a 4th of July parade with all the boys and girls club teams marching?
When you say "was" do you mean that you just haven't gone back to Clinton in 24 years? Also, I'm sure that there are gangs in MD, but we specifically know about MS-13s in NOVA and they are no joke.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 PM

692 posts, read 1,731,986 times
Quote:
I am just giving my opinion and where I live now compared with where I lived in VA. I actually lived there so I know the gas IS cheaper, the cost of living IS cheaper and property taxes are cheaper in the area I LIVED IN. Have you ever lived there to give facts or are you so narrow minded and stuck on ghetto PG county that you don't know anything else?
Wow "ghetto PG". The county is like everywhere else. There are great, good, fair, and lousy places to live. When you generalize an entire county, you weaken your entire argument. I live in a quiet neighborhood in Fort Washington and enjoy it. Children play outside. People go for walks and bike rides. We're not barricaded in our homes fearing for our safety. I don't know any one who has had a car stolen or a home broken into. But, I don't doubt that it happens.
Gas is higher here. But, gas is always higher the closer you get to DC.

My advice for the original poster is that you speak with a realtor or realtors that work in the areas you're interested in. Tell them what you're looking for and take a look at the areas they recommend. You can even rent a single family home or town home before deciding to buy.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 AM

293 posts, read 570,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
Wow "ghetto PG". The county is like everywhere else. There are great, good, fair, and lousy places to live. When you generalize an entire county, you weaken your entire argument. I live in a quiet neighborhood in Fort Washington and enjoy it. Children play outside. People go for walks and bike rides. We're not barricaded in our homes fearing for our safety. I don't know any one who has had a car stolen or a home broken into. But, I don't doubt that it happens.
Gas is higher here. But, gas is always higher the closer you get to DC.

My advice for the original poster is that you speak with a realtor or realtors that work in the areas you're interested in. Tell them what you're looking for and take a look at the areas they recommend. You can even rent a single family home or town home before deciding to buy.
...the true self came out with the "ghetto" statement....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland