Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 08:57 AM

193 posts, read 156,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's kind of funny. My next door neighbor, an investor where the house is empty most of the time due to it being a vacation rental, has opted out of the program. So the spray truck comes up the street, stops the sprayer in front of her house, drives 50 feet and then restarts the sprayer in front of my house.

I opted out of it, too. (I'm in Anne Arundel County.) My property backs up to an environmentally-sensitive bog (the largest in the county, I believe) and includes the stream that becomes a creek that feeds into the Magothy River. I have a huge variety of animal, bird, and insect wildlife in my backyard, and in the further-back, wooded/boggy parts of my property. Some of that wildlife (bats, dragonflies, frogs/toads, certain bird species) helps to keep mosquitos in check (admittedly, they will never do as good a job as will the spraying of mosquito poison.) Otherwise, if necessary, I just spray myself and my clothing.

(I don't use any fertilizers or other chemical treatments on my "lawn," either. That's why I have to put "lawn" in quotes. .)

This year did not seem too bad for mosquitos at my place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 10:24 AM

98 posts, read 291,905 times
Thank you everyone for your posts. It seems that it is something that needs to be considered when house hunting. A little disappointing, I like to be outdoors, but I am a magnet for mosquitos. Also concerned about ticks, as I like to get out with my dog. I hear they are especially bad in Maryland. I'm sure the warming climate isn't helping. On the upside...if we have a lot big enough - we'll put up lots of bat houses. Haven't been able to do it in our current home because we don't have the kind of location that is required.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:56 AM

45,536 posts, read 60,771,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmmcubed View Post
I opted out of it, too. (I'm in Anne Arundel County.) My property backs up to an environmentally-sensitive bog (the largest in the county, I believe) and includes the stream that becomes a creek that feeds into the Magothy River. I have a huge variety of animal, bird, and insect wildlife in my backyard, and in the further-back, wooded/boggy parts of my property. Some of that wildlife (bats, dragonflies, frogs/toads, certain bird species) helps to keep mosquitos in check (admittedly, they will never do as good a job as will the spraying of mosquito poison.) Otherwise, if necessary, I just spray myself and my clothing.

(I don't use any fertilizers or other chemical treatments on my "lawn," either. That's why I have to put "lawn" in quotes. .)

This year did not seem too bad for mosquitos at my place.
The neighbor who opts out then does nothing but ***** and moan about mosquitoes and file complaints about my yard. The yard that's both in the Maryland Wild Acres urban gardening and the federal Backyaed Wildlife programs. So the street spraying doesn't seem to impact my local wildlife.

Currently her hot list includes my small pond, my firewood stacks (because, after all, no one in her gated waterfront townhouse development has a fireplace or woodstove {which is bull****, I've been in some of those townhouses}), and also wants me to cut down my trees because I don't have enough lawn.

The last two times we went around the Code Enforcement guy came out (yes, even though I was in office at the time I still had to follow the rules) and I got zero citations while she was cited for 27 different ones, including a rusty chain link fence which she thought was mine. She was wrong.

Then there was time someone tried to torch the house and she tried to blame me and my oldest son, who was the one who called it in and then tried to put it out. She told the Fire Marshal and the Fire Department's Assistant Chief who her suspects were and they both laughed at her.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:54 PM

193 posts, read 156,337 times
Wow, North Beach Person, that sounds like an epic Neighbor From Heck! :0 Sorry you have to deal with that. I am definitely blessed with nice neighbors, and we're all nice to one another.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:42 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,116,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetobe View Post
Thank you everyone for your posts. It seems that it is something that needs to be considered when house hunting. A little disappointing, I like to be outdoors, but I am a magnet for mosquitos. Also concerned about ticks, as I like to get out with my dog. I hear they are especially bad in Maryland. I'm sure the warming climate isn't helping. On the upside...if we have a lot big enough - we'll put up lots of bat houses. Haven't been able to do it in our current home because we don't have the kind of location that is required.

Ticks for dogs are easy. Use a monthly flea and tick treatment. You also need to have him tested for heartworm and put him on a preventative for that.

Mosquitos can be handled. there are modern repellents you can use around yourself (I can't remember the new one that I hang on my belt). I am also a mosquito magnet. There are tricks like the color clothes you wear (dark colors attract them). Honestly they just go along with the 'Land of Pleasant Living'

Old 12-05-2019, 03:49 PM

45,536 posts, read 60,771,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Ticks for dogs are easy. Use a monthly flea and tick treatment. You also need to have him tested for heartworm and put him on a preventative for that.

Mosquitos can be handled. there are modern repellents you can use around yourself (I can't remember the new one that I hang on my belt). I am also a mosquito magnet. There are tricks like the color clothes you wear (dark colors attract them). Honestly they just go along with the 'Land of Pleasant Living'
I can't speak to ticks because even Sawyer's repellent doesn't keep them off me in Spring Turkey season (one reason I don't hunt Spring Turkey any longer) but it does work for me on mosquitoes.

Of course you have to make sure it dries on your clothing (the recommendation is 48 hours) before you get dressed since it does cause seizures if you get the wet spray on you. But that's merely a side effect and, overall, a small sacrifice.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:41 PM

62 posts, read 189,404 times
Yes, it's buggy in Maryland. Especially with gnats which in particular I can't stand just as much as mosquitos. I am a mosquito magnetic too and I just can't take it anymore. And once you're bit....it's with you...that itch that can last for days. I basically don't spend time outside during the summer. It's that irritating to me to have the gnats swirling around my face and getting into my eyes and food. Just disgusting in the summer. Others may tolerate it much better. If you like being outdoors in the summer but don't like the bugs, definitely have a screened in porch.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:02 PM

98 posts, read 291,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Burg Native View Post
Yes, it's buggy in Maryland. Especially with gnats which in particular I can't stand just as much as mosquitos. I am a mosquito magnetic too and I just can't take it anymore. And once you're bit....it's with you...that itch that can last for days. I basically don't spend time outside during the summer. It's that irritating to me to have the gnats swirling around my face and getting into my eyes and food. Just disgusting in the summer. Others may tolerate it much better. If you like being outdoors in the summer but don't like the bugs, definitely have a screened in porch.
Do you think certain areas are more or less buggy? I've visited DC on several occasions, including in the summer, and didn't notice it when I was there, however, they were just brief visits, so not much to go on.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:55 AM

13,378 posts, read 27,105,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetobe View Post
Do you think certain areas are more or less buggy? I've visited DC on several occasions, including in the summer, and didn't notice it when I was there, however, they were just brief visits, so not much to go on.
The District may be less buggy because there is more pavement and because they spray for bugs. The Montgomery County suburbs did spray for mosquitoes, but there were enough left to warrant a screened porch if you like to sit outside. You could grill something outside without being bothered too much by bugs. IDK about Prince Georges County.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:07 AM

52,750 posts, read 34,654,049 times
it all depends on where you are. my property - heavily forested and grass - attracts mosquitoes like crazy. i have slapped 4 skeeters in one swat on occasion.
but go 5 minutes away, and - no mosquitoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland