Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,419 times

Advertisements

With the new construction homes popping up in St. Charles, MD, what do you all think of the area?

Are the majority of homes and retail in St. Charles kept up in terms of appearance/curb appeal?

Is the perception of St. Charles a positive one?

Do people in St. Charles/La Plata/Waldorf commute into DC via the Suitland Metro station or do you recommend driving into the city?

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 08:05 AM

16,566 posts, read 10,672,468 times
There are a number of commuter buses from Waldorf to Washington. I don't know where in Southeast you're looking for, but if you mean below the Southeast-Southwest Freeway, there are two that serve that area.

Route 630 (serves NRL and Bolling)
https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defau...pril1-2017.pdf

Route 735 (serves several stops along M St. S.E. and S.W.)
https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defau...il1-2017_0.pdf

More info here:
https://mta.maryland.gov/commuter-bus

Commuter routes that start with the number 6 are the ones that go from Charles County to Washington. The ones that start with the number 7 come up from St. Mary's County, but some of them also stop in Charles County on the way up.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:07 PM

8 posts, read 9,103 times
Pros:
Nice homes at affordable prices--my $500k house here would easily be $1M in Arlington.
Lots of outdoor space--Lots of parks, recreation areas, 40 mins south is solomons and other beach like areas
Commute is not awful to SE DC--buses, many people carpool, work different hours, SE DC is a pretty decent trip, many neighbors do this.
Neighbors: Generally the people living here are nice, but, people are busy and have long commutes, so you don't have the same feeling of community I've seen in other locations (this could also just be me...)
Schools-better than PG

Cons:
Infrastructure has not caught up with growth-What used to be a sleepy rural area is rapidly becoming a suburb of DC. There needs to be additional shopping, roads, schools, etc. They're trying though. The money is here. Many dual income families in our neighborhood. Last weekend I was at the crappy mall and many women I spoke with were complaining how they were having to drive to Arlington or Annapolis to buy work clothes. Need to keep this money here, supporting this county--need more high end stores, especially grocery stores.

Neighbors/Crime-I see very little crime in my immediate area. I do see the police patrolling a lot and enforcing laws, but also just out and about talking. There are some parts of Waldorf we don't go at night but, that's just like other areas of metro DC. Some neighbors take no care as to the appearance of their house etc. This is everywhere, but the HOAs need to enforce regulations re grass cutting, appearance of your house.

Schools--Much like the infrastructure problem, the school system is trying to catch up with demands from better educated, higher income parents who demand schools similar to Montgomery, Fairfax and Arlington counties. They're working hard, but have some issues. A new elem school is slated to be open in 2019 and that will alleviate some overcrowding. Parents need to keep on the schools. Several HS have neat programs, such as STEM based ones or arts and humanities.

Overall, it is not a bad place to live and going into SE DC from here is easy and fine. Is it a place I want to stay forever: No, but, it works for now.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:09 PM

789 posts, read 1,098,709 times
If you like good and improving schools, suburban life circa 1995, areas close to large parks and forests, and aren't racist and can handle a commute, it is hard to find a more affordable place in the DC metro.

Yes, many people from Camp Springs all the way south to St. Mary's drive to the Suitland Metro station, but inbound traffic throughout SE is heavy so idk.

DCWriterGirl makes a decent summary. This topic has also been discussed many times times so you may find the search feature useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland