Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:13 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovtWorker View Post
I work in DC, but I only have to go into the office two days a week, so the commute isn't really a factor.

I'm not really worried about a culture shock either. I've lived in the Waldorf area for a long time now and I just can't stand it anymore. Waldorf's issues have been mentioned in other threads in this forum, so I won't get into it too much, but I'm looking to get away from those issues. I'm looking to move my family away from the culture of Waldorf.
At the risk of beating a dead horse what are you issues with Waldorf? Have these issues been mentioned multiple times? Because if so I haven't seen them. I know the area is going through some demographic changes but I get the sense this isn't the only reason you want to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 07:11 AM

15 posts, read 32,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
At the risk of beating a dead horse what are you issues with Waldorf? Have these issues been mentioned multiple times? Because if so I haven't seen them. I know the area is going through some demographic changes but I get the sense this isn't the only reason you want to leave.
Some issues are mentioned in the "St. Charles - A Place for Millennial Families?" thread.

Waldorf is just not a place I want my family to be anymore. There is a lot of crime, the schools are terrible, and we just don't mix well with the current culture of the area. Waldorf has changed a lot in the past 10-15 years and in my opinion, it hasn't changed for the better.

There is no sense of community anymore, the kids in the neighborhoods are rude and inconsiderate and the parents aren't any better. I want to live in a community where people actually own the house instead of rent, where people actually care about their neighborhood and the upkeep/appearance of their own home. I'd like my kids to go to schools where the teachers and students actually care about being there and learning something.

I'm hoping to find something like this in either St. Mary's or Calvert.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:53 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GovtWorker View Post
Some issues are mentioned in the "St. Charles - A Place for Millennial Families?" thread.

Waldorf is just not a place I want my family to be anymore. There is a lot of crime, the schools are terrible, and we just don't mix well with the current culture of the area. Waldorf has changed a lot in the past 10-15 years and in my opinion, it hasn't changed for the better.

There is no sense of community anymore, the kids in the neighborhoods are rude and inconsiderate and the parents aren't any better. I want to live in a community where people actually own the house instead of rent, where people actually care about their neighborhood and the upkeep/appearance of their own home. I'd like my kids to go to schools where the teachers and students actually care about being there and learning something.

I'm hoping to find something like this in either St. Mary's or Calvert.

Then maybe you should consider leaving southern Maryland all together for the mid-west or deep south. I don't think your going to find any of that in Calvert or St. Mary's either.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Then maybe you should consider leaving southern Maryland all together for the mid-west or deep south. I don't think your going to find any of that in Calvert or St. Mary's either.
I wish I could leave the area, however, my job is tied to DC and will be for the foreseeable future. I know that no areas are 100% perfect, but I was hoping to find something a little better than Waldorf.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:07 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
He might find some of that in Frederick. I'll be honest though this is part of the argument I use whenever someone calls Maryland the south.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:20 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
Some areas of Calvert and St. Mary's are no better than Waldorf. Maybe less congested, however there are a lot of neighborhoods in both of these counties that have a lot of crime as well.
Namely, the White Sands community in Calvert Co...
and the Great Mills Road area in St. Mary's Co.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:56 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,139 times
I have to say that I am a former Air Force brat so I lived all over and close to many bases and after marrying the hubby. The same thing can be said of an area close to any base. (base housing, constant flow of military moving in or out, worn out areas) Some will tell you certain areas near the base are run down. Great Mills Road, Shangri-la area is in fact the older area. So no it is not upscale, nicer, fresh. Like I said, we've been here a year and when I first got here I was told to stay off Great Mills rd and St Mary's Square was a no no for any shopping. . Don't shop where Big Lots is located on Shangri-la. Have to say I've never encountered any problems but then I have only been out during the daylight for the most part. Am I afraid to go out at night no, but I would and do keep my wits about me and I'm aware of my surroundings. That goes for the day light hours and shopping in California, Hollywood, Leonardtown and across the river in Calvert County. There are some really nice areas south of Leonardtown so don't rule it out or in based on what we say. We live out Willows rd in one of the nice subdivisions. Takes hubby 5 minutes to get on base. I know when and where the heavy traffic flows. It's a trade off of one thing for another no mater where you end up. Decide what is more important. I wanted my hubby to be able to come home for lunch, not have to get up early just to be able to get to work on time. I wanted close the base and shopping but not be living beside a major shopping center.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:11 PM

17 posts, read 27,771 times
Chime on on Calvert County here - - this is going to sound cynical. I think Calvert County is the better choice of the two, but, as you know, living in the DC area is always going to be a compromise.

Bad

Sense of community is non-existent where we live because the houses are so far apart.

The leadership of Calvert is embarrassingly bad - - from the parks and rec, to the school board, commissioners and police. It's more rural Alabama than suburban DC. This is where the lack of community is evident IMO....seems like folks are not vested as they should be?

Many of my neighbors think the County being highlighted on Live PD on A&E is a "good thing" for our collective reputation as a community.

Shopping and dining are mostly in Annapolis or California. We drive a lot. The citizens and commissioners are divided on development, generally. We are getting a new Teeter, however. I am really excited for this! I just want a Lowes and some better options for happy hour.

We have a nuclear plant and a soon to be operative LNG export facility (OK with me as long as neither blow up)

Good

Affordable
Good schools
Space
We have a great farmers market on Friday nights. This is the premiere social event!
Safe. We are here because it is a good place to raise kids for people who work in DC......period.
Not Waldorf (kidding)
Nicks
We have a cool-ass flag.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlene1013 View Post
Chime on on Calvert County here - - this is going to sound cynical. I think Calvert County is the better choice of the two, but, as you know, living in the DC area is always going to be a compromise.

Bad

Sense of community is non-existent where we live because the houses are so far apart.

The leadership of Calvert is embarrassingly bad - - from the parks and rec, to the school board, commissioners and police. It's more rural Alabama than suburban DC. This is where the lack of community is evident IMO....seems like folks are not vested as they should be?

Many of my neighbors think the County being highlighted on Live PD on A&E is a "good thing" for our collective reputation as a community.

Shopping and dining are mostly in Annapolis or California. We drive a lot. The citizens and commissioners are divided on development, generally. We are getting a new Teeter, however. I am really excited for this! I just want a Lowes and some better options for happy hour.

We have a nuclear plant and a soon to be operative LNG export facility (OK with me as long as neither blow up)

Good

Affordable
Good schools
Space
We have a great farmers market on Friday nights. This is the premiere social event!
Safe. We are here because it is a good place to raise kids for people who work in DC......period.
Not Waldorf (kidding)
Nicks
We have a cool-ass flag.

That's one of the good things that I've noticed about St. Mary's- there are plenty of places to eat and grab a drink or two. Plus, there is a Lowe's, Walmart, Aldi, etc. close by.

The homes are a bit cheaper in St. Mary's and they seem to be a bit newer, although Calvert does have it's fair share of newer homes. The newer homes in the Huntingtown area are definitely more expensive than newer homes in Leonardtown.

Old 04-11-2022, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 318 times
Hello. I moved from Waldorf to St. Mary's Mechanicsville over 20 years ago. I really love it! It open, rural and so much less congested in terms of traffic and people on top of each other like Waldorf. Hence, the crime is not that prevalent although no place is completely safe anymore. But I feel very much safe living alone on a 2 acre property. There are shops in Charlotte Hall, which is a 15 minute drive, but the majority of stores are either 25 miles north to Waldorf or 25 miles south to California or Lexington Park. Sometimes I go about 20 miles to Prince Frederick, but there aren't as many shores there, just basically the Walmart. I love St. Mary's. I also commute to DC every day. I've gotten used to it. I feel Calvert is a little closer to DC but the commute on RT 2/4 is heavier than the Rt 5 route I take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland