Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 11:16 AM

57 posts, read 49,962 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Prince Georges County, MD from TN this coming summer. I am an elementary school teacher and will be teaching in Princes Georges County public schools. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the dating situation is like for a white woman in this area?...I'm widowed/no kids.

Personally I'm open to all kinds of men (read no preferences) as long as they are quality men; however, I'm concerned that the men in this area are not open to dating white women. Do you think I will have to look outside of Prince Georges County for dates/a relationship...if so, which areas would be best? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 02:33 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,685,312 times
Where in PG are you moving? Race might be an issue, depending on the area, but mostly I think the problem you'll run into is finding eligible "quality" men. Most single people in the region live in mixed-use/urbanized areas, which is still a pretty rare beast in PG. DC proper or "inside the beltway" urbanized areas (Bethesda, Silver Spring, Arlington) are where you'll find most similarly available young people. In PG your best bets will be Hyattsville or College Park, though the former is still predominantly families and teens while the latter predominantly families and undergrads.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:43 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,564,472 times
I have a funny feeling about this thread. Odd concern coming from an educator. But I'd like to know where the concern comes from. And if there is truly "no preference" why the concern anyway? In addition, the DC area is part of the North Eastern Megalopolis, not the Tennessee Valley. The sheer number of people and the extensive transportation network increase the odds from the start. A quick glance at google maps and one can see how expansive the DC metro area is and all the demographics involved and available for dating.

I would be more concerned if I was moving from the DC area to Tennessee.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:30 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,564,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Where in PG are you moving? Race might be an issue, depending on the area, but mostly I think the problem you'll run into is finding eligible "quality" men. Most single people in the region live in mixed-use/urbanized areas, which is still a pretty rare beast in PG. DC proper or "inside the beltway" urbanized areas (Bethesda, Silver Spring, Arlington) are where you'll find most similarly available young people. In PG your best bets will be Hyattsville or College Park, though the former is still predominantly families and teens while the latter predominantly families and undergrads.
Wait. lol

Are we really going to quantify whether someone has a greater chance of finding a mate in a specific location if 1) we don't know the person and 2) we don't know exactly what they need or want, and 3) we don't know the dating habits of individuals in the areas you mentioned or didn't mention?

Are we really going to try to go down that road? lol This thread was dead on arrival. If the OP truly has "no preference" and knows she's moving to a densely populated metro area with over 6 million people, why the concern? Ochophobia?

A brief google search on " DC interracial dating" will give the OP more than she will ever find out on this website.

I found this in less than 5 seconds.

Interracial Dating Meetups in Washington

Best advice is to go out and meet people. There are tons of things to do in the DC metro area. Go from there.

Things To Do DC

Old 12-12-2015, 05:53 PM

912 posts, read 914,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Wait. lol

Are we really going to quantify whether someone has a greater chance of finding a mate in a specific location if 1) we don't know the person and 2) we don't know exactly what they need or want, and 3) we don't know the dating habits of individuals in the areas you mentioned or didn't mention?

Are we really going to try to go down that road? lol This thread was dead on arrival. If the OP truly has "no preference" and knows she's moving to a densely populated metro area with over 6 million people, why the concern? Ochophobia?

A brief google search on " DC interracial dating" will give the OP more than she will ever find out on this website.

I found this in less than 5 seconds.

Interracial Dating Meetups in Washington

Best advice is to go out and meet people. There are tons of things to do in the DC metro area. Go from there.

Things To Do DC
You and I know the DC area, but it doesn't sound like the OP does. I think it's a fair question. I asked the same questions to myself when I was considering moves around the country (FYI, NC has literally 85% families, no joke lol). I can see someone from TN asking the same questions.

OP, as someone said above, join some social groups, hit a few dating sites, maybe you'll meet someone at work. DC has a large population, and men are willing to travel for the right lady. I think you'll do just fine.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:54 PM

469 posts, read 549,524 times
finding a mate should not be an issue. Prince Georges County is right next to Washington, DC. There will be a lot of options for you to choose from. You dont have to be stuck inside a suburb. Most professionals in Prince Georges County will be black males. Most lounges, bars, etc will be black professionals. You have DC and Moco county right next door if you need more diversity. Where are you going to live in the area?

Old 12-12-2015, 07:59 PM

57 posts, read 49,962 times
I will be placed at a school in Bowie or Fort Washington. Ideally I would like to live in the community that I teach, so I'm looking at moving to one of those two areas. I understand this area is a large metropolitan area that encompasses DC, Maryland and Virginia which usually means a high number of singles, however, from what I understand traffic is horrible in this area so is it really feasible to look for partners in DC or Virginia when I'm living in the MD suburbs?....are men in DC/VA really going to want to come all the way out to Bowie or Fort Washington? I figured it would be easier to date a man within a reasonable distance/time from where I am located.

My plan all along was to join social groups once I got myself settled but it would be nice to know which areas I would have the most luck. Why would I waste my time attending social events in Prince Georges County if men in this area are not interested/attracted to white women? Just b/c I have no preference doesn't mean others don't. I'm very cognizant to the fact that men have preferences/"types"...that's my concern...whether I'm their type. It's cool if I'm not...at least I'll know they are not my target audience and move on else where.

And to address some other comments made by PPs, just b/c I'm an educator doesn't mean I don't have a life outside of teaching. I love what I do for a living and take it very seriously BUT my career is not my entire life. I have other passions and hobbies...that I'm hopeful that I can find someone to share those things with. So yes, dating (esp in a new area) is a concern for me. I don't understand why dating would be an odd concern b/c I'm an educator?

Oh, can someone elaborate on the issue of finding "quality" men in Prince Georges County? What's the problem with men in this area?

Old 12-12-2015, 08:49 PM

912 posts, read 914,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katespinner2007 View Post
I will be placed at a school in Bowie or Fort Washington. Ideally I would like to live in the community that I teach, so I'm looking at moving to one of those two areas. I understand this area is a large metropolitan area that encompasses DC, Maryland and Virginia which usually means a high number of singles, however, from what I understand traffic is horrible in this area so is it really feasible to look for partners in DC or Virginia when I'm living in the MD suburbs?....are men in DC/VA really going to want to come all the way out to Bowie or Fort Washington? I figured it would be easier to date a man within a reasonable distance/time from where I am located.

My plan all along was to join social groups once I got myself settled but it would be nice to know which areas I would have the most luck. Why would I waste my time attending social events in Prince Georges County if men in this area are not interested/attracted to white women? Just b/c I have no preference doesn't mean others don't. I'm very cognizant to the fact that men have preferences/"types"...that's my concern...whether I'm their type. It's cool if I'm not...at least I'll know they are not my target audience and move on else where.

And to address some other comments made by PPs, just b/c I'm an educator doesn't mean I don't have a life outside of teaching. I love what I do for a living and take it very seriously BUT my career is not my entire life. I have other passions and hobbies...that I'm hopeful that I can find someone to share those things with. So yes, dating (esp in a new area) is a concern for me. I don't understand why dating would be an odd concern b/c I'm an educator?

Oh, can someone elaborate on the issue of finding "quality" men in Prince Georges County? What's the problem with men in this area?
Yes. I've dated and known men that have dated much further in the DC region (as well as other states). You're in Bowie, which is equidistant from Balto. and DC. If you were in Frostburg, I'd say you might have some dating challenges, but I know many happily married couples who were DC / Balto. daters that tied the knot, and they drove twice as far as someone would need to drive to get to you in centralized Bowie. My ex-hb also made a much longer trek each week to visit me in OC from SD when I lived in CA (twice as far as DC or Balto is to Bowie, and that's not accounting for horrific and constant CA traffic). We later married. Love doesn't let miles get in the way, and certainly not for a place as central as Bowie. You'll be fine.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:11 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,685,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katespinner2007 View Post
What I was noting was the the number of eligible quality men in PG won't be particularly high as it's primarily a suburban/family-oriented county. So i guess you could say the "problem" is they already have a ring on their finger. Most singles live in DC proper or in urbanized clusters in the suburban counties. If you're actively social, you'll be fine as there are also a gazillion single people in the region, but you'll likely find yourself going out to DC, Baltimore, or Annapolis to meet said singles.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:32 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,401 times
I have spent some time in PG although haven’t lived there. Geography and traffic are both huge considerations for anything you want to do around DC. I suggest to start with where you will be working and find a place to live that’s a good commute at rush hour. You don’t need the stress of a bad commute daily added on to learning a new job and new area. You are right about looking for “quality”—consider doing background checks.

Our area overall is VERY diverse, but if you just want to date within your race, you can do that. Many single people live and work in the DC burbs and don’t go into DC much at all. You are right that geography will often play a part in willingness to date. Overall our area does get criticized for various things, e.g., the hectic lifestyle = little time + traffic hassles to meet people/date--and not as friendly as you may be used to. Try the usual things like a finding a church (if you’re interested in that), a gym, and online dating. I liked Bowie, which has a lot of family-oriented neighborhoods, probably not ideal for a single unless you want to share a house. Upscale apartments (expensive but do attract professionals and singles) have been going up everywhere and probably in Bowie/New Carrollton as well. The area is not close to DC, but you can drive to the Metro station to go into DC, probably most feasible to do on a weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland