Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,493 times

Advertisements

What are the best options for buying within a reasonable (<30 min) commuting distance to Bethesda/DC downtown if you want to buy a NEW 2/3 BR-townhome/SF home in the $300K-$400K range in western part of MoCo/along 270?

Feel like this is asking for the moon!

Only options I could see were new homes being built in Clarksburg, and some in the north of Germantown.

The commute via 270/355 will be long, even coming to SG Metro, so by no means it'll be less than an hour to DC.

Any advice? Any better options? Is Howard county (commuting via US29 via car or commuter bus) worth considering, though prices for new homes are perhaps even higher for new homes in the Fulton/Laurel area?

What would tilt the scales for alternatively considering buying an OLD (resale) condo in the $300k-$400K range in the Rockville/Gaithersburg areas (vis-a-vis new TH/SFH somewhere further north)?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by innolipa; 06-19-2015 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 01:12 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innolipa View Post
What would tilt the scales for alternatively considering buying an OLD (resale) condo in the $300k-$400K range in the Rockville/Gaithersburg areas (vis-a-vis new TH/SFH somewhere further north)?
It is a personal preference. I would certainly prefer to be closer to work in an "old" townhouse or condo compared to commuting on I-270!! One can always refurbish the older condo, but one can't escape traffic.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,493 times
Thanks for responding. Yes, sure, but other than the extra cost of the refurbishing its also the smaller space!! Most 'old' condos/THs are much smaller (~1200 sqft) in size in that $300-$400k price range--whereas you get 1800-2000 sq ft even in the smallest of the new THs up north on 270. But I suppose you can't have everything!

Old 06-19-2015, 01:28 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
Likely not in your budget considering the proximity you are looking for. Sorry. If you were open to something used, you may get lucky. I can speak from experience, do not look new/used, look for something that meets your size criteria, or at least comes close. There are places from the 1980s that are in the 2000 SQ/FT+ size range for a townhouse. Insisting on something new may pull you far away from a reasonable commute. I have seen really nice townhomes for example in Takoma Park and Takoma DC go for around $400k, that were 2,000 SQ/FT+, but they were usually 20 to 30 years old.

In montgomery county, most new houses go for north of $500k. The point being is you really have to know what to prioritize, a new house is not necessarily a better house in terms of construction, and there are plenty of houses built within the last 35 years which meet your size criteria and in your budget, but also closer in.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
The point being is you really have to know what to prioritize, a new house is not necessarily a better house in terms of construction, and there are plenty of houses built within the last 35 years which meet your size criteria and in your budget, but also closer in.
I agree completely, and you have explained the issue much better. New is not neccesarily better, and you have to compute the time wasted in commuting as part of your quality of life.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:01 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,736 times
Quote:
What are the best options for buying within a reasonable (<30 min) commuting distance to Bethesda/DC downtown if you want to buy a NEW 2/3 BR-townhome/SF home in the $300K-$400K range in western part of MoCo/along 270?
I can't imagine that such a property exists.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:

I believe you will have to accept one or more compromises. Part of the problem is the ambiguous target; downtown DC is a lot further commute that Bethesda. If your commute is actually to Bethesda, there are some options in Germantown under $400,000 for a townhouse. Search on Realtor, and the are several new construction houses on Longford Glen Drive. Commute time to Bethesda is 25-40 minutes depending on traffic. If you want a new home, that is reasonable to me.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:37 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:

Only options I could see were new homes being built in Clarksburg, and some in the north of Germantown.

The commute via 270/355 will be long, even coming to SG Metro, so by no means it'll be less than an hour to DC.

Any advice? Any better options? Is Howard county (commuting via US29 via car or commuter bus) worth considering, though prices for new homes are perhaps even higher for new homes in the Fulton/Laurel area?

Thanks in advance!
Shady Grove to Bethesda is not a bad commute on Metro. Getting to Shady Grove from Gaithersburg is very easy. Not only is there 370 to get there, but quite a few buses. To DC, obviously it will be longer, but on the Metro it's not so bad. There are also MARC trains to DC. There are many options if you don't want to drive it.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:11 AM

If the OP really has to be a 30 minute commute from downtown DC, he should widen his search a bit. For example, the Brickyard Station townhomes in Beltsville might work for him. There one listed at $319,990 for about 1900 square feet.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:03 PM

100 posts, read 154,678 times
There's a new townhome development called "Boland Farm" that's in a good location in Germantown (right off 355, close to a 270 exit and very close to Milestone shopping). I can't say it's an easy commute to Bethesda or DC though.

If you want to stay in the $400s price range and have a reasonable commute to DC, I'd recommend looking in the older neighborhoods in Rockville, such as Twinbrook. These are mostly 1950's homes, but the location near Metro and 355 is what you need if you want a quick commute south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland