Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 03:58 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times

Advertisements

Beltsville because northern PG is a bit better than central PG in general...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:15 AM

58 posts, read 85,693 times
Default Quality of construction

Can someone living at Brickyard Townhomes provide feedback on the build quality of the homes here?

My friend in Atlanta only had bad things to say about Ryland homes in Atlanta - she sold the house over 3 years ago. Was wondering if this company has improved now?

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2015, 11:52 PM

22 posts, read 29,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaFirstTimer View Post
Can someone living at Brickyard Townhomes provide feedback on the build quality of the homes here?

My friend in Atlanta only had bad things to say about Ryland homes in Atlanta - she sold the house over 3 years ago. Was wondering if this company has improved now?

Thanks!

The homes produced by Ryland Homes are on the lower end compared to some of the luxury builders out there. As I posted earlier, make sure you do your research on the site and request a environmental impact report from your sales person so your informed about what your buying. I'd recommend looking at the Greenbelt station development instead.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:21 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaFirstTimer View Post

Thanks!
You'll be lucky to get someone already living there to respond, since there are I think relatively few of the TH's yet occupied, and it's not in the interest of a new buyer to start dishing dirt on their biggest purchase immediately. Better to sell up and then dish, if there is anything to dish, and I don't know.

I've lived near there for 15 years, and the area is safe, but don't base your decision on anything to do with Konterra, good or bad, because it looks as if that's not happening anytime soon.

We looked at the models, only out of curiosity, and the finish seemed OK to us, but 16 feet wide, isn't wide at all, there are 20, and maybe 24, and we're of an age where stairs are not our friend, plus we didn't like being overlooked due the proximity of neighbors, but I guess that goes with the territory.

On the plus side, I notice that the club house is built, pool to follow shortly I expect.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:06 PM

57 posts, read 60,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artnature82 View Post
As I posted earlier, make sure you do your research on the site and request a environmental impact report from your sales person so your informed about what your buying.
Yep, this for sure. You might want to check out this blog post about the nature of Brickyard Station's environmental problems.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:37 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lntrullin View Post
Yep, this for sure. You might want to check out this blog post about the nature of Brickyard Station's environmental problems.
Please note that the writer was never specific about what chemicals were in the soil, and never provided proof that they case cancer. It notes that contaminated soil was removed (but not all) and covered by 2 feet of new soil.

If you are concerned, you might look up the process for making bricks.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:08 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lntrullin View Post

That's nothing. If you only knew what the wealthy people in NW DC are living on top of. lol.

Quote:
During World War I Spring Valley was an undeveloped area on the main campus of American University that the Army was allowed to use for testing chemical weapons, such as mustard gas, therefore also known as the "American University Experimental Station" or Camp American University and Camp Leach. In 1993, during excavations of a utility trench, construction workers found unexploded ordnance, and scientists found high levels of arsenic in the soil. This touched off a cleanup effort by the Environmental Protection Agency and Army who call it the "Spring Valley Formerly Used Defense Site". Cleanup lasted merely two years at first. A decade later, in 2003 many more dangerous sites in the area were uncovered, including perchlorate in groundwater and three burial pits on grounds of the South Korean ambassador’s residence. In 2005 ATSDR issued a "Health Consultation", and 2 years later Johns Hopkins University was contracted for a health study, and reported in 2007. A review of all site data and previous health studies was supposed to be completed by 2013. As of 2014, the work is still ongoing with tons of earth being replaced and at least one house being scheduled for demolition.[3] [4] A Restoration Advisory Board is in place. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) is the lead agency in clean up.[5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_...ashington,_D.C.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:56 PM

57 posts, read 60,594 times
@Adelphi -- I had no idea! Wow.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:19 AM

22 posts, read 29,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Please note that the writer was never specific about what chemicals were in the soil, and never provided proof that they case cancer. It notes that contaminated soil was removed (but not all) and covered by 2 feet of new soil.

If you are concerned, you might look up the process for making bricks.
It's really up to the individual with what they feel comfortable living around. The state considers the site to be safe enough I just didn't think it was worth the risk. If anyone is really interested in reading the report, PM me and I'll be happy to email you a copy.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:43 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,186 times
Its nothing different than areas having homes built on marsh or swamp land. The State didnt deem it unsuitable and environmental studies were done Im sure back in late 90s before the Great Recession hit to begin construction.

That's like saying dont buy near Andrews, Ft. Meade, or Bowling due to whatever is going on at those labs..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland