Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:19 AM

53 posts, read 118,936 times

Advertisements

Urban Dictionary: la plata high school

Quote:
La Plata High School
118 up, 52 down
Defined in articles as one of the best high schools in the US and the best public school in southern Maryland. But... what local teens know it as spoiled rotten, rich, druggie, sluts and oh yes, all the white people (sike we all knew that).

It is white people galore at La Plata and the only sports we can win are... you guessed right! White people sports! Golf, Tennis, Wrestling, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Ect.

But I digress, yeah... tons and tons and tons of drugs. Tons and tons and tons of STD's and lots and lots of of daddy's girls and boys running around in cars that cost more than all of St. Mary's County while putting their face in a coke bag and tokin a doobie.

Yessir that's La Plata. 6 out of 7 of the only black people in school come from the meadows and are known for their dirtiness and coming straight from DC and skipping the whole PG/Waldorf experience.

But if you ever think you see a La Plation... think to yourself. 1)Do they carry around too much money? 2)Do they wear excessive amounts of perfume/cologne 3)Do they drive a luxury vehicle worth more than your house? 4)Do they seem to be the only white people at parties in the Dorf? If you said yes to all of that, then you just might have one.
Andrea Rockefeller: OMG I am hella syced for this partay in the dorf tomorrow!!! Chill a sec... I gots to get ma dutch bag from the Beamer. Ugh like La Plata High School has so much drama. But atleast I have money!

Matthew Kennedy III: Sounds straight, hold up lemme crotch this **** before Kaylor gets at me again. My parents said I can't go to Aruba if I get caught 3 more times.

Andrea Rockefeller: Blowwwwnnn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 03:32 PM

409 posts, read 705,374 times
*snort*

I would take that with a grain of salt...

High schools in Charles county... Really, your biggest difference in the quality of schools in Charles County is going to be socioeconomic status of the parents. A lot of the staff rotates around the county from year to year - the Gale Bailey (elementary) VP was VP of a different school last year, and last year's VP moved on to another school. The county moves them around so they can gain different experiences in different schools. This goes for science teachers, gifted teachers, etc. as well.

I do know that some of the schools are a little better in theater vs. math and engineering vs. the other subjects, but the biggest factor in any of them is parental involvement with your kid's education. Gale Bailey was a middle of the road rated school - it's anywhere from a 4 to a 7 depending on the year on Great Schools - and I spent a significant time in the school. My kids were getting a good education and good attention from the teachers.

If you are looking closely at ratings, also compare the free and reduced lunch numbers at a given school. That's going to drag the schools Greatschools rating down, without meaning that the quality of education there is any lower.

There is also an engineering and tech magnet program up at North Point. So if you get a house in a different area of the county, your kid might end up wanting to go there anyway.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:48 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,911,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfloberg View Post
What are you 15 and your buddy posted that in UD?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 PM

409 posts, read 705,374 times
I had to run quickly, earlier, so I didn't have a chance to finish my comment...

There's also Lackey, which seems to have a bad reputation by the numbers (and by talking to some people), but when you talk to other people you get a different picture. Lackey has a good STEM program, and is a pretty good school for science and engineering minded kids - so long as they don't fall into the wrong crowd. But again, that's pretty much going to come down to parenting more than anything. I know some really nice kids who go and went to Lackey, did great, and got into good colleges.

I know you were mostly asking about La Plata and McDonough, but if you find a house in another part of the county that you like, I wouldn't discount it just because it's not in the top rated school district - rated by the numbers. Also consider that in different parts of the county you do get more for your money. The same house can be 100K cheaper over in the western part of the county because people get the impression from Great Schools and straight up number rankings that it's more desirable to be in one area or the other. So, yeah, you might not sell your house for as much, but you'll also spend less on it in the first place. Also check taxes - La Plata town taxes are pretty high.

If you have more specific questions about stuff, feel free to PM me. We're actually in the process of moving out of the county, so I'm not on this forum as much. Besides, every other thread seems like just kvetching about PG county - *yawn*!

Old 07-08-2013, 10:55 AM

53 posts, read 118,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
What are you 15 and your buddy posted that in UD?
A quick glance onto the previous page shows someone else referenced this post on UD and created some confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland