Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,986 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to MD in a few months and found a house that's 10 minutes from the Greenbelt metro, on Iroquois street. My primary concern is safety, and I should also add that I'll be a graduate student at UMCP and won't have a car, so I'll either bike or take the shuttle to campus.

Is this a good location? Are the routes bike-friendly? Is it safe during the day?

What are peoples thoughts on this area?

Sorry I'm out of state and I can't visit myself to make my own judgement. Also feel free to recommend areas for me that are closer to campus and safe, or any general comments.

Last edited by justjenkins; 06-12-2013 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:45 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,085,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjenkins View Post
Is this a good location? Are the routes bike-friendly? Is it safe during the day?
What are peoples thoughts on this area?
It's a typical low-budget neighborhood near campus. I would not be afraid to walk around during the day. I don't think there are significantly better areas within biking distance to campus.

There are no marked bike lanes or sidewalks, so I won't say it's bicycle friendly. If you bike to campus, be aware of potholes, dogs, unfriendly motorists, and heavy traffic on Rhode Island Ave and Route 1. Get a good chain and lock.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,986 times
Thanks for your comment - haven't committed anywhere yet. Also looking at an option in Berwyn Heights (Osaga Street). Any thoughts on that?

In general, could you suggest to me areas that I might want to look into that are close to campus and are themselves safe (and nice for a single grad student) neighborhoods?

Appreciate your help!

Old 06-13-2013, 03:55 AM

202 posts, read 347,646 times
The umcp campus is nice.....the area around the campus not so much.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldway View Post
Agreed. Osage Street looks slightly nicer. If the OP has the budget for a high-rise apartment and can take a Metro bus or shuttle to campus, that might result in some nicer housing. I was thinking of the Westchester Park Apartments. Also this one, which gets better ratiings: Parkside at College Park, 8125 48th Avenue, College Park, MD . Or this one: University View at 8204 Baltimore Ave,
College Park, MD . University View presents itself like a luxury apartment building, with a workout room, a pool and a billiard room.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-13-2013 at 06:35 AM..

Old 06-13-2013, 06:08 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,847,172 times
From the first street, there is a bike path that starts where Rhode Island Ave ends, across the street from the 7-11. It gets you close to campus. The Osaga st address is in a much better area. If you follow Berwyn road to the end, there is a pedestrian bridge over the Metro tracks. Once over that, it's just a few blocks to the same path mentioned previously. The Iroquois one isn't far from a path to the Greenbelt Metro, but usually you have to go around the long way to get there.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:49 AM

7,084 posts, read 9,585,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldway View Post

Please, when you say the area around campus is not so "nice", PLEASE be specific. Does that include the Knox Boxes or does that include Hyattsville, Adelphi, Riversdale, and Greenbelt? This person is from out of town and has no clue what the statement "around campus" means according to you.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 AM

7,084 posts, read 9,585,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjenkins View Post
Thanks for your comment - haven't committed anywhere yet. Also looking at an option in Berwyn Heights (Osaga Street). Any thoughts on that?

In general, could you suggest to me areas that I might want to look into that are close to campus and are themselves safe (and nice for a single grad student) neighborhoods?

Appreciate your help!

First let me say that I'm someone that lives and eats in the area around campus. Some people like to make statements without much elaboration instead of making themselves clear. Personally, I wouldn't agree that the area around campus is not nice or is unsafe. Around ANY large university campus a single female has to be vigilant. Should you fear for your life? No. If I had a daughter, I would have no problem with her living in the areas around campus. Some people make things out to be more dangerous than they really are. No, College Park is not shiny, neat, and new like suburbia, but it has some charm of its own. God knows it could use a LOT more. The city, when not getting in its own way, is on the right path to making the town a top college town.

There is a nice neighborhood to the west of golf course which has a few rentals called Cool Spring Terrace. Also, to the east of Rt. 1 in College Park there is Hollywood. Berwyn Heights is a nice neighborhood with a popular restaurant called Fishnet. There is also Riversdale Park.

Some would have you live so far from campus that you'd have to catch a bus and I don't think that's fair to you or the people of College Park. You are more than welcome to call up any of the neighborhoods I provided links for to ask them question about their respective neighborhoods. I'm sure they can provide answers to some questions you may have regarding rentals, etc.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
If I had a daughter, I would have no problem with her living in the areas around campus.
Do you have information for the OP on the amount of bicycle theft? I had the feeling that a bike would not last long if she were using it daily, and that's why I suggested places on bus lines instead.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,847,172 times
I want to add to my earlier post that the College Park Metro might be easier to get to than to the Greenbelt Metro.

As for safety, the Lakeland section of CP is generally safe, but when I lived there it didn't "look" safe. I did see students using the path to get to Campus every morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland