Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:26 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I think that article was posted in this forum a few years ago. But yes, I agree with everything you've said. It's interesting that when my wife and I went to a restaurant one evening, we saw a family with to kids. They were both playing a math game with each other. At another table a kid had a huge ipad with headphones watching a movie.

With my wife being a teacher, education will certainly be top priority. I believe in conversing with children and engaging with them instead of letting them zone out in front of electronic devices. The faster you get a child to read, which is the doorway to learning, the faster they'll be able to grasp other concepts by reading for themselves.
All true. But electronic devices can be your child's friend. For instance, my son has a Kindle. So he will read electronic books in addition to watching videos or playing games. But he has always loved to read, like his parents. My daughter also has a Kindle, but she prefers hard copies of books. I have to push her to read more, because she doesn't like it as much. But the devices are multi-purpose. The movies and even games can be educational. My son uses his for homework.

It's not what you have, it's how it is used. And it's also how well the child is doing overall in school and in extra-curricular activities. I think parents are so busy working for that dollar to pay for that house, they are tired when it is time to stay on their kids about school. Plus, they think that once they move to the burbs, they can rest easier, and they are saving their kids. NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 04:13 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
All true. But electronic devices can be your child's friend. For instance, my son has a Kindle. So he will read electronic books in addition to watching videos or playing games. But he has always loved to read, like his parents. My daughter also has a Kindle, but she prefers hard copies of books. I have to push her to read more, because she doesn't like it as much. But the devices are multi-purpose. The movies and even games can be educational. My son uses his for homework.

It's not what you have, it's how it is used. And it's also how well the child is doing overall in school and in extra-curricular activities. I think parents are so busy working for that dollar to pay for that house, they are tired when it is time to stay on their kids about school. Plus, they think that once they move to the burbs, they can rest easier, and they are saving their kids. NOT.

Oh I agree. I didn't mean to say that electronics have no place. My view is they are used way to often and not in a way that supplements learning.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:34 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
I think that article was posted in this forum a few years ago. But yes, I agree with everything you've said. It's interesting that when my wife and I went to a restaurant one evening, we saw a family with to kids. They were both playing a math game with each other. At another table a kid had a huge ipad with headphones watching a movie.

With my wife being a teacher, education will certainly be top priority. I believe in conversing with children and engaging with them instead of letting them zone out in front of electronic devices. The faster you get a child to read, which is the doorway to learning, the faster they'll be able to grasp other concepts by reading for themselves.
I've linked the article often.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:34 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Blacks kids use the media at higher rates than any other group. I also know quite a few middle class Black parents who make sure their kids have the latest sneakers. A few of them are more rabid about it then their kids.

Kids Spend 7.5 Hours Per Day on
Quote:
The study found that kids who are heavy media users get lower grades. There was no cause and effect stated, but Kaiser found that 47 percent of heavy media users "say they usually get fair or poor grades (mostly Cs or lower)," compared with 23 percent of light users.
It also found that black and Hispanic youth spend far more time with media than white youth. Black and Hispanic children consume nearly 4½ hours more media daily (13 hours, compared with 8 advertisement hours, 36 minutes for whites). TV viewing accounts for a lot of the difference. Black children spend nearly 6 hours and Hispanics just under 5½ hours watching TV, compared with roughly 3½ hours a day for white youths, the report said.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Blacks kids use the media at higher rates than any other group. I also know quite a few middle class Black parents who make sure their kids have the latest sneakers. A few of them are more rabid about it then their kids.

Kids Spend 7.5 Hours Per Day on

Quote:
Social networking and interaction with peers have lots of positive implications as well. We should compare this with how kids earlier spent time in malls, cafes and bowling alleys, and talking on landlines. Kids hang out online just as they used to hang out in these other venues. True, using a computer to access Facebook is a type of media consumption, but it's really social interaction. Besides, it's not just consumption. Kids are also producing media in the form of posts, photos and videos.
I disagree with this. Yes, social media is a type of socializing, but it in now way compares to face to face interactions in places like malls, etc. I think face-to-face interactions teach more about being honest, trustworthy, and learning how to read emotion and facial expressions in others while talking. You lose all of that when trying to socialize online. So much miscommunication happens online, misread comments, misunderstandings. Also, it is just more healthy to get out into the open fresh air and move around than sitting in a dark room in front of a computer, game system, or TV.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:17 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times
Quote:
I disagree with this. Yes, social media is a type of socializing, but it in now way compares to face to face interactions in places like malls, etc. I think face-to-face interactions teach more about being honest, trustworthy, and learning how to read emotion and facial expressions in others while talking. You lose all of that when trying to socialize online. So much miscommunication happens online, misread comments, misunderstandings. Also, it is just more healthy to get out into the open fresh air and move around than sitting in a dark room in front of a computer, game system, or TV.
You are right on the money. But we can't deny that the progression to this type of social media has been long in the making. Those telephones, for instance. Remember the party and chat lines, and the two-way and three-way phone calls? At least it was verbal communication, but often with strangers. The telephone in general has long competed with the face-to-face interactions. When I was in junior and high school, I stayed on the phone and had my own number at one time. The social media is today's manifestation of non-face-to-face interactions. The problem is that it is more dangerous and gives anonymous cowards a safe haven. But not all of it is bad, of course (not that you said it was). This forum is a form of social media, after all.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
This forum is a form of social media, after all.

True, but imagine how the conversations in this forum would change if we were all in a conference room! I'd imagine responses would be more calculated, there wouldn't be much name calling if at all. There would be less misunderstanding because people could use hand gestures and facial expressions to help get their points across. Local friendships may form faster where people go out for drinks, etc.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:29 PM

411 posts, read 901,185 times
As a white kid who grew up in PG county, I learned this.....

Never run from a fight unless you are out numbered. However, you will always be out numbered so try to work on being a fast runner. Still, you aren't going to out run those guys for very long. So, make sure you are very very close to your house and have your front door key ready and if you think you can make it then go for it. Now, if you aren't near your house you just have to take your beating like a man. It's Ok, you'll be fully healed for a good 3 or 4 months on average before it happens again.....

wait...let me try this again...

rule number 1.- Do not leave the house.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:04 AM

712 posts, read 1,092,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post

Never run from a fight unless you are out numbered. However, you will always be out numbered so try to work on being a fast runner. Still, you aren't going to out run those guys for very long. So, make sure you are very very close to your house and have your front door key ready and if you think you can make it then go for it. Now, if you aren't near your house you just have to take your beating like a man. It's Ok, you'll be fully healed for a good 3 or 4 months on average before it happens again.....

right, because this is what all white people have to worry about in PG county

Old 03-04-2014, 12:16 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post

So all the white Kids in Bowie and Laurel dont leave the house huh??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland