Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 AM

74 posts, read 134,994 times

Advertisements

There is all kinds of stories about white professionals moving into traditionally black communities to save money on rent. (Like in Harlem in NYC, in in parts of SE DC). I wonder how common this is in the suburbs of PG County. There are some really nice neighborhoods in PG County with relatively low crime and a nice middle class professional feel. The home prices in these communities are about half of a similar home in Alexandria or Fairfax County. The difference is the neighborhoods are in Southern PG County and are 99% African American.

As a White or Asian professional, would you move to a neighborhood in PG County that appeared to be middle class but was basically all African American? Do you feel that you would face the same type of discrimination from your black neighbors that they might experience moving into an all white community?

Any white or Asians living in basically all black neighborhoods in PG County and have any observations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 01:10 PM

169 posts, read 299,767 times
I live in an older neighbor hood in Camp Springs that is probably over 90% black. I was here 25 years ago when the neighborhood was more diverse. I haven't had any problems with my immediate neighbors though there is this white guy down the street who grates me and others on the block. It is as though he is a hall monitor and wants to keep everyone in check. My black neighbors are more conservative than one might think as they have to work to keep their middle class homes. When people have such responsibilities they prioritize. I see kids running around like I would over in NOVA. Everyone has large lots so most have sheds to house the riding mowers that keep the grass cut. I see Asian, Hispanic and white families moving in from time to time and hope it continues so that the area becomes a bit more diverse. Did I mention we are 8 miles from the White House?

Old 09-13-2012, 01:30 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Yes, I would, and I did. Not only in PG County either. There are plenty of white folks living in PG County.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:50 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
There is all kinds of stories about white professionals moving into traditionally black communities to save money on rent. (Like in Harlem in NYC, in in parts of SE DC). I wonder how common this is in the suburbs of PG County. There are some really nice neighborhoods in PG County with relatively low crime and a nice middle class professional feel. The home prices in these communities are about half of a similar home in Alexandria or Fairfax County. The difference is the neighborhoods are in Southern PG County and are 99% African American.

As a White or Asian professional, would you move to a neighborhood in PG County that appeared to be middle class but was basically all African American? Do you feel that you would face the same type of discrimination from your black neighbors that they might experience moving into an all white community?

Any white or Asians living in basically all black neighborhoods in PG County and have any observations?
First of all, there's more diversity in Prince George's County than you might realize. The county is about 65% African American. I doubt that any of the middle class neighborhoods you're talking about are anywhere near 99% populated by any single race.

I am not an African American, and I love living in my home which happens to be in a predominantly African American neighborhood. The middle class, professional African Americans in my neighborhood are pretty much like middle class professionals anywhere else in America. I try to be a good neighbor and to treat people with courtesy and respect and I find that I usually get similar treatment in return.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 PM

169 posts, read 299,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
First of all, there's more diversity in Prince George's County than you might realize. The county is about 65% African American. I doubt that any of the middle class neighborhoods you're talking about are anywhere near 99% populated by any single race.

I am not an African American, and I love living in my home which happens to be in a predominantly African American neighborhood. The middle class, professional African Americans in my neighborhood are pretty much like middle class professionals anywhere else in America. I try to be a good neighbor and to treat people with courtesy and respect and I find that I usually get similar treatment in return.

My point exactly. It takes good neighbors, no regard to pigmentation, to have a good neighborhood and most people catch on real quick. I try to be the best I can.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:00 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,187 times
My neighbors are white and we have a few other white families that live in our neighborhood as well. The church down the street from us mostly has white congregants.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
My neighbors are white and we have a few other white families that live in our neighborhood as well. The church down the street from us mostly has white congregants.
So where do you live? Laurel, Bowie, Beltsville, Hyattsville, Greenbelt, College Park, Upper Marlboro? There is a share of towns in PG County that have lots of white people. My post had to do specifically with those towns in Southern PG County inside the Beltway that seem pleasant enough and have some really low cost housing for the DC area but are 90% Black. I was just interested in White people's experiences living there because they would be a nice easy commute to my job in Alexandria at half the cost.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:03 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,187 times
Quote:
So where do you live? Laurel, Bowie, Beltsville, Hyattsville, Greenbelt, College Park, Upper Marlboro? There is a share of towns in PG County that have lots of white people. My post had to do specifically with those towns in Southern PG County inside the Beltway that seem pleasant enough and have some really low cost housing for the DC area but are 90% Black. I was just interested in White people's experiences living there because they would be a nice easy commute to my job in Alexandria at half the cost.
I live in Southern PG. Some good options for you may be Ft. Washington, Clinton, or Accokeek. I especially see a lot of white people in Accokeek and Ft. Washington. There is also a sizable Filipino population in southern PG also.

One of my white co-workers lives in Bowie and is always going on about how I need to move over there too. She's in her 60s and has lived in Bowie since she was in her 20s.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
I have a friend who lives in District Heights. I haven't seen any white people living there, but the area seems really nice.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I have a friend who lives in District Heights. I haven't seen any white people living there, but the area seems really nice.
Those Black Dominated towns like Oxon Hill, District Heights, Marlow Heights, etc. are the towns I am talking about. Middle Class and very inexpensive. But would a white man be accepted, that is my question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland