Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 PM

7,282 posts, read 11,589,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I'm not sending any money your way because I live in D.C. But people in Montgomery County and Prince George's County are sending money that way. Why do people in Montgomery County, Prince George's County, Baltimore County, Howard County etc. need to support western Maryland again? How are they benefiting from their tax dollars going to the rural areas? Why should they have to support your region? See, it's thinking like that coming from you all that is the oxymoron here. You live in a subsidized area but you think you should not have to help pay for transit projects in the D.C. and Baltimore suburbs since you won't use it. Well the D.C. and Baltimore suburbs don't use any of the roads, sewers, or schools in western Maryland or the eastern shore yet you don't see them saying stop sending their money to the rural areas.
I have told you about 5 times now, I don't support our area being on state welfare. If it was up to me, the 'burbs could have all the cash back.

but.......

in exchange, I want regional laws and regulations for our regional problems which are MUCH different than the problems of metro Maryland.

Better yet, let us go and see if we can become part of West Virginia. When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them to another.................I am there man, I want out, you guys don't have enough in common with us anymore to make this marriage work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 AM

13,813 posts, read 15,990,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I have told you about 5 times now, I don't support our area being on state welfare. If it was up to me, the 'burbs could have all the cash back.

but.......

in exchange, I want regional laws and regulations for our regional problems which are MUCH different than the problems of metro Maryland.

Better yet, let us go and see if we can become part of West Virginia. When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them to another.................I am there man, I want out, you guys don't have enough in common with us anymore to make this marriage work.

Whether you support it or not, western Maryland is on state welfare and believe it or not, your region needs it. You can't sustain yourselves. You don't have the money too. In fact, there isn't a rural area anywhere in the country that isn't supported by the cities in that state. You need to stop biting the hand that feeds you. So, stop complaining about paying extra taxes for the cities because without them, you would be riding on dirt roads, have no indoor plumbing etc. etc. It was all built by the D.C. and Baltimore suburbs so it's actually pretty ironic to see the people in western Maryland or the eastern shore complain about more taxes.

Here is a better solution, pay back all the tax money that has gone into building and maintaining your community for the past 50 years from D.C. and Baltimore and your region doesn't have to pay a dime in extra taxes. In fact, you can stop paying them all together. That reimbursement money would build the purple line, red line, CCT, Circle Metro line connecting all the Maryland metro legs, capital bikeshare all over the region, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Deal?

Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,153,659 times
And, from the Eastern Shore, I may not speak for all of us, but I for one would rather be a part of Delaware, with their tax structure. It would be cheaper for me to be annexed than to have to sell, move and buy new when I retire in a few years.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
And, from the Eastern Shore, I may not speak for all of us, but I for one would rather be a part of Delaware, with their tax structure. It would be cheaper for me to be annexed than to have to sell move and buy new when I retire in a few years.

That could work too. Just pay back all the welfare that has been paid to build and maintain your community over the last 50 years as well. It's amazing all these places want to hightail it out of Maryland now after 100 years of collecting welfare from the cities to pave your roads, build and maintain your schools, connect your sewers, etc. etc. etc. And now, all of you want to leave after not contributing anything to the state. It's mind boggling really.....

Old 02-15-2013, 08:02 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,153,659 times
I liked your pictures of the bridge in Miinesota. It reminds me of how the ICC is being paid for in part by the tolls collected from the Bay Bridge. Most of which are paid for by people living on the Eastern Shore. I am hoping when you say "cities" you really mean the suburbs, because the City of Baltimore is taking more from outside it's boundaries than it takes in from it's own revenues. Cities like Rockville, Gaithersburg etc, are more like a suburb of DC than a city in their own right. More of their money is going to Baltimore , than it is to the Eastern Shore.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:41 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,784,082 times
In my belief MDAllstar is trolling.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 AM

3,308 posts, read 9,439,952 times
Quote:
It reminds me of how the ICC is being paid for in part by the tolls collected from the Bay Bridge. Most of which are paid for by people living on the Eastern Shore.
Really? I've never seen any stats on this but I have to believe the number of tourists from Central MD and NoVA using the Bay Bridge dwarfs the number of Eastern Shore people using the bridge. I would guess it would be mostly DC area people paying for the ICC (a DC area road).

I guess there are a sizable amount of commuters from the Eastern Shore who use the bridge every day to commute to the DC area, but that's still the same idea- people who work in, and are dependent on, the DC area are paying for the ICC.

Even if it were mostly Eastern Shorers on the bridge, I'd be curious to see how much money of theirs goes to to the ICC vs. how much money an average Montgomery County taxpayer pays to support the Eastern Shore.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 AM

3,308 posts, read 9,439,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Whether you support it or not, western Maryland is on state welfare and believe it or not, your region needs it. You can't sustain yourselves. You don't have the money too. In fact, there isn't a rural area anywhere in the country that isn't supported by the cities in that state. You need to stop biting the hand that feeds you. So, stop complaining about paying extra taxes for the cities because without them, you would be riding on dirt roads, have no indoor plumbing etc. etc. It was all built by the D.C. and Baltimore suburbs so it's actually pretty ironic to see the people in western Maryland or the eastern shore complain about more taxes.
Westsideboy isn't complaining about the taxes though. He's complaining about the regulations imposed by Annapolis. That's a fair point. The rural counties have very different priorities compared to the urban ones when it comes to what to regulate. Contrast MD to states like PA and VA where the rural legislators generally get what they want and it's the urban ones who are left complaining.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I liked your pictures of the bridge in Miinesota. It reminds me of how the ICC is being paid for in part by the tolls collected from the Bay Bridge. Most of which are paid for by people living on the Eastern Shore. I am hoping when you say "cities" you really mean the suburbs, because the City of Baltimore is taking more from outside it's boundaries than it takes in from it's own revenues. Cities like Rockville, Gaithersburg etc, are more like a suburb of DC than a city in their own right. More of their money is going to Baltimore , than it is to the Eastern Shore.
I actually think the ICC was a huge mistake. That money would have built the purple line and red line already. But some people in this state think highway building is the way to go. I never said Baltimore city if you go look at the posts and to be honest, the Baltimore region doesn't really support Maryland like the D.C. region does in the first place. D.C. is where the money is at.

I think the bay bridge tolls are wonderful though. Kind of like the bridges and tunnels into Manhattan. Tax the people trying to come into the city that don't live in it. If you want to benefit from the urban areas and their economies, pay the piper. The other option is staying on your side of the bay which would eliminate the entire conversation.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Westsideboy isn't complaining about the taxes though. He's complaining about the regulations imposed by Annapolis. That's a fair point. The rural counties have very different priorities compared to the urban ones when it comes to what to regulate. Contrast MD to states like PA and VA where the rural legislators generally get what they want and it's the urban ones who are left complaining.

Actually that is not true. There would be no rural counties without the urban area's paying for them. They wouldn't have any growth because they would not have the infrastructure in place to build anything. That money comes from D.C. and Baltimore. In fact, they are mad because PLAN MARYLAND does just that. Cuts off the revenue stream to build more infrastructure in the middle of no where and makes them use their own money if they want to build in the middle of no where. Here is an example, a developer is not going to come and build a development unless the town builds the roads to it and connects the sewer lines to it. The town can't do that without money. That money comes from the state. The state gets that money from D.C. and Baltimore suburbs. Does this make more sense now?

Without D.C. and Baltimore suburbs, the rural counties would not have any problems because they would not be there to begin with. No running water, no paved roads, no schools, etc. etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland