Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I don't understand how you can form an opinion about a place that you've never lived, that's all. I mean it's one thing to have a preference for MD, that's your right, but then you stated VA is "blah" like you really have a real opinion. What makes your opinion anymore valuable than someone that has only lived in CA forming an opinion about NoVA? Overall this thread is full of people who have no have spent little to no time in either place forming opinions about the place that they don't live in. Very few people in this thread even seems qualified to have an informed opinion. I personally don't think one place is better than the other (and I would know because I have lived and worked in both places), but it irritates me that people come on here and talk about a place that they have never lived in. It's just plain stupid.
That is ignorant.

Ive never been to North Korea but I can form a pretty good opinion about it. Anyone who has visited NOVA can tell it is blah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
That is ignorant.

Ive never been to North Korea but I can form a pretty good opinion about it. Anyone who has visited NOVA can tell it is blah.
Well if you say that this point is ignorant then it must be so because judging from your other posts in this thread you seem to be an expert on ignorant post.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Well if you say that this point is ignorant then it must be so because judging from your other posts in this thread you seem to be an expert on ignorant post.
Im glad we both agree your post was ignorant. Judging from your ALL your post you would know. BTW, while I have your attention could you post your evidence of the widespread voter fraud you mentioned earlier? You never got back to me on that.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
I don't understand how you can form an opinion about a place that you've never lived, that's all. I mean it's one thing to have a preference for MD, that's your right, but then you stated VA is "blah" like you really have a real opinion. What makes your opinion anymore valuable than someone that has only lived in CA forming an opinion about NoVA? Overall this thread is full of people who have no have spent little to no time in either place forming opinions about the place that they don't live in. Very few people in this thread even seems qualified to have an informed opinion. I personally don't think one place is better than the other (and I would know because I have lived and worked in both places), but it irritates me that people come on here and talk about a place that they have never lived in. It's just plain stupid.
First off, my opinion is just that. An opinion. I stated I have nothing against VA. I actually thoroughly scoured the area when initially looking for a place to live as my wife is a teacher and was looking for a job in both MD and VA. It just so happens she ended up getting a job in northern Anne Arundel County and so that’s the direction we went.

Even though we live in Annapolis, we go to NOVA quite often because we like to explore the entire region and I have worked out there some.

I don’t think one is better than the other. I think MD and VA are equally sprawly and I really like some parts of NoVA like Alexandria etc.

But MD has dense center city type areas in further out suburban areas like Silver Spring, Bethesda and Rockville where NoVA has places more like Tysons Corner. Tysons Corner is just traffic and office parks. There are a 1000 places just like it all across the country. I know VA is trying to build up Tysons into something more dense, walkable and transit oriented, but that’s decades from reality.

The other thing I like about MD is it’s closer to the bay, the ocean and Baltimore. I like being so close to both DC and Baltimore as we go to ball games etc in both all the time and we like being near Downtown Annapolis and ten minutes from the Bay Bridge. We can be across the bay before most people in VA can get to the beltway and fight a lot of traffic just to get to Annapolis. We like all the water and inlets and bridges and sail boats that are everywhere out here. The topography and water culture is what makes this part of MD different from NoVA and other suburbs.

That’s why we like MD. We not only feel like we left the Midwest, but we actually feel like we live on the east coast. Not some suburb 2 hours (in traffic) from the water.

What I don’t like about this area is it’s a bit redneck in parts. It’s quite blue collar and there is not a lot of new or modern high quality housing developments. AA county is sparsely developed and very spread out and you are always driving on crowded un-improved country type roads that connect suburban areas together. But I guess that’s the trade off for living closer to the water.

Overall, it’s a great area. For the DC area, it seems quite a bit cheaper and there is much less traffic. I can get to Silver Spring faster from Annapolis than I could from Germantown most days, even though it’s twice as far and that’s with the beltway congestion in College Park.

I will say that I’m scared to drive in NoVA. It seems like they are ready to throw you in jail and take away your drivers license for even minor offences. And with the roads out there being so congested and slow, driving out there every day would be brutal in my opinion.

I’m sure it’s a nice area. We just like this area. NoVA seriously reminds me of North Dallas or Houston Galleria or maybe south Denver more than any of the other big Northeast metro areas.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Im glad we both agree your post was ignorant. Judging from your ALL your post you would know. BTW, while I have your attention could you post your evidence of the widespread voter fraud you mentioned earlier? You never got back to me on that.
It's called sarcasm...

As far as voter fraud, send me a PM and I will send you my address. Mail me a copy of your voter registration card and let's see if you will get to vote this year After all with no ID no one will ever know that I am not you, right? It won't matter if I try because somehow someone will magically make the connection that I'm not who I say I am through the power of osmosis, right?

And it's funny that you talk about evidence because this entire thread has been lacking in such from you. You even went on to express your OPINION about the air being dirtier in the state of VA but then when someone brought out FACTS, you started retracting your point. Well if PG wasn't............well if if was a fifth then I guess you would be drunk wouldn't you? There were no ifs about it, you were wrong and you were proven wrong and yet you have the nerve to question someone else about presenting facts? Continue on with your nonsense.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
First off, my opinion is just that. An opinion. I stated I have nothing against VA. I actually thoroughly scoured the area when initially looking for a place to live as my wife is a teacher and was looking for a job in both MD and VA. It just so happens she ended up getting a job in northern Anne Arundel County and so that’s the direction we went.

Even though we live in Annapolis, we go to NOVA quite often because we like to explore the entire region and I have worked out there some.

I don’t think one is better than the other. I think MD and VA are equally sprawly and I really like some parts of NoVA like Alexandria etc.

But MD has dense center city type areas in further out suburban areas like Silver Spring, Bethesda and Rockville where NoVA has places more like Tysons Corner. Tysons Corner is just traffic and office parks. There are a 1000 places just like it all across the country. I know VA is trying to build up Tysons into something more dense, walkable and transit oriented, but that’s decades from reality.

The other thing I like about MD is it’s closer to the bay, the ocean and Baltimore. I like being so close to both DC and Baltimore as we go to ball games etc in both all the time and we like being near Downtown Annapolis and ten minutes from the Bay Bridge. We can be across the bay before most people in VA can get to the beltway and fight a lot of traffic just to get to Annapolis. We like all the water and inlets and bridges and sail boats that are everywhere out here. The topography and water culture is what makes this part of MD different from NoVA and other suburbs.

That’s why we like MD. We not only feel like we left the Midwest, but we actually feel like we live on the east coast. Not some suburb 2 hours (in traffic) from the water.

What I don’t like about this area is it’s a bit redneck in parts. It’s quite blue collar and there is not a lot of new or modern high quality housing developments. AA county is sparsely developed and very spread out and you are always driving on crowded un-improved country type roads that connect suburban areas together. But I guess that’s the trade off for living closer to the water.

Overall, it’s a great area. For the DC area, it seems quite a bit cheaper and there is much less traffic. I can get to Silver Spring faster from Annapolis than I could from Germantown most days, even though it’s twice as far and that’s with the beltway congestion in College Park.

I will say that I’m scared to drive in NoVA. It seems like they are ready to throw you in jail and take away your drivers license for even minor offences. And with the roads out there being so congested and slow, driving out there every day would be brutal in my opinion.

I’m sure it’s a nice area. We just like this area. NoVA seriously reminds me of North Dallas or Houston Galleria or maybe south Denver more than any of the other big Northeast metro areas.
I can respect this and please don't take offense to me questioning earlier, but when someone comes on here and makes a general statement about NoVA it just feeds the troll, er...the OP to continue on with his pointless ideas of what the difference between the areas are. I agree with your assessment from the outside looking in, there isn't much of a difference between the two places. It's really just a matter of preference.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
It's called sarcasm...

As far as voter fraud, send me a PM and I will send you my address. Mail me a copy of your voter registration card and let's see if you will get to vote this year After all with no ID no one will ever know that I am not you, right? It won't matter if I try because somehow someone will magically make the connection that I'm not who I say I am through the power of osmosis, right?

And it's funny that you talk about evidence because this entire thread has been lacking in such from you. You even went on to express your OPINION about the air being dirtier in the state of VA but then when someone brought out FACTS, you started retracting your point. Well if PG wasn't............well if if was a fifth then I guess you would be drunk wouldn't you? There were no ifs about it, you were wrong and you were proven wrong and yet you have the nerve to question someone else about presenting facts? Continue on with your nonsense.
It was proven a long time ago. Facts and the truth have never persuaded you before and I doubt they will know.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Stop trying to turn this troll thread into an intelligent discussion.

These are some solid points. MD's best asset is the Chesapeake Bay. It's the thing that differentiates the state from its neighbors and a foundation of a unique culture- you won't see nearly as much boating and crab cakes in NoVA. If I were to ever move from NoVA to MD, it would be to be near the bay. On the other hand, I live in NoVA and I can be at the bay faster than most Montgomery County residents can.

I don't agree that MD has more dense suburbs "further out". Bethesda and Silver Spring are close to the DC border- they're comparable to Arlington and Alexandria. Rockville doesn't have the density of those 4 and isn't really comparable. NoVA has Reston as a further out dense suburb, but for the most part, both VA and MD's outer suburbs are sprawl-y. NoVA has more people in its outer suburbs, and so is, of course, more sprawl-y, while MD's outer suburbs are less developed.

As far as driving, I don't really get the fuss about the VA police. Drive sober and less than 80 and being thrown in jail won't be a worry. It seems like even the drivers who do get a Reckless Driving citation end up getting out of it.

As far as other northeastern metro areas, you have to remember that all cities have tons of sprawl-y suburbs. You probably just don't see them when you visit those other areas because there's nothing that draws you to them. Trust me, I grew up in sprawl around Philadelphia and now live in NoVa- there's little that differentiates the sprawl here from the sprawl there. The biggest difference I notice is that NoVa sprawl tends to be denser.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Stop trying to turn this troll thread into an intelligent discussion.

These are some solid points. MD's best asset is the Chesapeake Bay. It's the thing that differentiates the state from its neighbors and a foundation of a unique culture- you won't see nearly as much boating and crab cakes in NoVA. If I were to ever move from NoVA to MD, it would be to be near the bay. On the other hand, I live in NoVA and I can be at the bay faster than most Montgomery County residents can.

I don't agree that MD has more dense suburbs "further out". Bethesda and Silver Spring are close to the DC border- they're comparable to Arlington and Alexandria. Rockville doesn't have the density of those 4 and isn't really comparable. NoVA has Reston as a further out dense suburb, but for the most part, both VA and MD's outer suburbs are sprawl-y. NoVA has more people in its outer suburbs, and so is, of course, more sprawl-y, while MD's outer suburbs are less developed.

As far as driving, I don't really get the fuss about the VA police. Drive sober and less than 80 and being thrown in jail won't be a worry. It seems like even the drivers who do get a Reckless Driving citation end up getting out of it.

As far as other northeastern metro areas, you have to remember that all cities have tons of sprawl-y suburbs. You probably just don't see them when you visit those other areas because there's nothing that draws you to them. Trust me, I grew up in sprawl around Philadelphia and now live in NoVa- there's little that differentiates the sprawl here from the sprawl there. The biggest difference I notice is that NoVa sprawl tends to be denser.
All good points. Very true about Philly having sprawl too, NoVA just seems to be flatter (at least along the beltway) and with as wide as the beltway is it reminds me of cities out west. Philly doesn't have those types of freeways. Like I said, we visit VA all the time. I'm not the kind of person that stays on our side of town. Heck, we drove to Alexadria last weekend just to see a movie. We really enjoy living in such a large metroplex of two major cities, the bay, Annapolis etc. I do not miss the midwest even a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland