Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM

11,108 posts, read 24,031,658 times

Advertisements

It's finally looking like there is light at the end of the tunnel after many delays. I don't know if people have seen it lately, but it's looking pretty nice.

Next door, they have topped off a new apartment tower and a second tower is a few floors out of the ground.

Does anybody know if there are any solid plans to build the tower that is part of the transit center project? They are digging on that corner pretty deep now, but I don't think they are doing much other than working on utilities. It would be nice to see a tower go up there, hotel, condos whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 AM

13,394 posts, read 27,257,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I don't know if people have seen it lately, but it's looking pretty nice.
Could you tell us exactly where it is? Is that what would make the connection between MARC and Metro much easier? I would enjoy seeing any pictures anyone has.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:22 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,191,027 times
Silver Spring Transit Center cost rises again, by about $11 million - The Washington Post

New completion date August at earliest.

It will "unite" MARC and Metro riders, according to an earlier article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...d01Q_blog.html

Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 AM

11,108 posts, read 24,031,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Could you tell us exactly where it is? Is that what would make the connection between MARC and Metro much easier? I would enjoy seeing any pictures anyone has.
The connection between MARC and METRO is already easy, but I'm not even sure many people do that. When I lived in Germantown and took MARC, I don't recall anybody connecting, but there may be a few that do. I now use Metro often and don't see a lot of people connecting. (MARC needs to be more than just commuter service).

What it will do is make connecting to MetroBus, Commuters buses and Ride On buses much easier.

Also the new purple line light rail (from New Carleton to Bethesda) will pass through the station as well.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,736,709 times
How long has it been under construction? I'm pretty sure they got more done on the Freedom Tower in the same amount of time.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:03 PM

304 posts, read 716,448 times
I saw the Silver Spring Station (transit center) last week, as I often travel to Silver Spring for personal business. It didn't look all that impressive or make me think it will be done by this summer. I did see a glass roofing being put up, which suggests that the actual upward building is done, but the rest of the building looks really bare and unfinished. This is the most ridiculously long construction process, I think I've ever witnessed. It seems like they have been building this thing for about five or more years, now. And when you put how small the development is, in the grand scheme of things, it really gives some perspective on how badly managed this project was. But, hey, this project involves WMATA so I'm sure it's not surprise it's been mismanaged. I've heard of skyscrapers being constructed in less time. The Dulles Rail Project will be done before this transit center is.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:55 PM

23 posts, read 49,994 times
Some pictures are attached here:

Department of General Services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland