Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 AM

16 posts, read 23,201 times

Advertisements

I know the commute, where to live, schools, gets asked a lot, but just want to see what people who know this area better think of this situation. I'm a single mom renting in Ashburn, VA and got a new job in northwest Rockville. The job hours are kind of odd, making the commute not too awful - 6:45am to 7:15pm - and only two days each week. However, I'm renting now so there's the option to move and rent closer to the job. Currently pay $1,750 for a T/H in Ashburn. Max price range is $2,100. Aside from the commute, reasons I would consider moving are that my daughter doesn't like the middle school here. We've only relocated to Ashburn a year ago and would not be giving up much in the way of a social network. She has one more year in middle school (8th grade), so I'm really looking at high schools in both locations. (Also not sure if it's better to finish middle school and then make a move, or be in place for the high school in last year of middle.) I would be open to farther out from from Rockville, or even closer in with a reverse commute, like an apartment in Bethesda. We used to live in nyc so we like seeing people walking out and about, a park where families go, bike trails, seeing people out with strollers. Any suggestions on places to live/schools would be great.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 09:50 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,109,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sottovoce View Post
I would be open to farther out from from Rockville, or even closer in with a reverse commute, like an apartment in Bethesda. We used to live in nyc so we like seeing people walking out and about, a park where families go, bike trails, seeing people out with strollers. Any suggestions on places to live/schools would be great.
I think you would enjoy Bethesda from what you say. I would find Ashburn a bit too suburban and bland. The high schools would be great, and you commute would be easy.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 AM

219 posts, read 595,718 times
I second Bethesda, I think you will really like it there and you should be able to find something decent in your price range in and around Downtown Bethesda.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Any suggestions on places to live/schools would be great.
Look at the discussion of BCC versus Walter Johnson High Schools here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ontgomery.html . Both schools are excellent and serve Bethesda addresses.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:36 PM

16 posts, read 23,201 times
Thank you for the replies. I have been reading those school threads! Does anyone know if apartments in Bethesda (or North Bethesda) have many families? Or are high-rises more for singles? In nyc, apartment living with the gym an elevator ride away was great, but that was also where everyone else with kids lived, too.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if apartments in Bethesda (or North Bethesda) have many families? Or are high-rises more for singles? In nyc, apartment living with the gym an elevator ride away was great, but that was also where everyone else with kids lived, too.
Well, Bethesda isn't NYC, and the typical families at BCC or Walter Johnson live in large single-family houses. The local myth is that apartments are for young singles. However, the original poster of the school thread is a single parent (dad?) with a high-school daughter who is also looking for an apartment. With the high price of housing, I suspect there will be some families with school-age kids in apartments, but I can't quote actual statistics.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 PM

460 posts, read 1,019,047 times
Are there any closer "better" locations still in in Virginia.. Just in case you haven't heard Maryland taxes are pretty steep.

As for "when" to change schools... I'd say a child would like better (generally speaking) to go into high school with some friends.. rather than completely alone.. so going in 8th grade would be better.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:03 PM

15,440 posts, read 25,862,569 times
Northwest Rockville? Look at the Kentlands, or Falls Grove, or some place in North Potomac. (West side of Gaithersburg). You'll find lots of families, good schools, and reasonable (compared to other areas) rent. I got two kids in Quince Orchard High and one in Ridgeview Middle School. We're very happy with that so far. Some parts of that area go to Wooton High School, which many here at CD, say is better. This area would be real close to where you work too.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 PM

764 posts, read 1,659,414 times
If your daughter doesn't like the school she's at, I would move now. No sense in putting her through another "not so fun year" if you are really considering a move. If you can afford it, I would think Bethesda would be great in your situation - very walkable, metro is right there to get in/out/around DC (yes, you can use it Rockville too, but it's just further out).

Old 05-14-2012, 06:32 PM

82 posts, read 186,996 times
Oh gosh, how am I so late to this thread?

We have a ton of families living in apartment homes in downtown Bethesda! And we come from all over the US and the world. We are educated, active, involved people who love our kids and also happen to enjoy a more urban-ish lifestyle. If you want to know about specific buildings or areas, pm me. We love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland