Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:58 PM

399 posts, read 582,540 times

Advertisements

iNCREDIBLY diverse area with a lot of people (my age) who are capable of being down to earth, funny, open minded, out-side the box. I love that a lot of them don't live in a bubble, that they're willing to open up and branch out and get to know others. They're not overly social or overly conservative and I love that middle ground. I like it that a lot of the people here are so much more open and willing to interact with others who don't look like them, act like them, think like them and in my experience, great public schools, lots to do, so much to get involved in (I did lacrosse, field hockey, track, tennis, green school's club, study circles for diversity, latin student union, kayaking, canoeing, volunteering cleaning up lakes, participating in blood drives, etc etc etc). So I always appreciated the opportunity to have stuff to do here outside of that incredibly boring go to bars and get drunk, party, and go clubbing scene (though that is available if you're interested in that too).

Snooty people are everywhere. I understand what you mean that Moco can seem like a snooty atmosphere but the individuals I've met here who are from here are pretty cool. *shrugs*

Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 PM

202 posts, read 347,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
Q: When do you know that you have an overly developed sense of entitlement and have no idea what it's like to live in a country where people's liberties are actually limited?

A: When you consider a $0.05 bag tax and a red-light camera an erosion of your "liberties."
I know you are so right. Overly sense of entitlement sums me up. Keep paying your taxes open up your wallet and just give Ike all your money now. Stop the slow bleed because you know well and good the elected officials know how to spend your money better than you do.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:18 PM

202 posts, read 347,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
With that many people on the roads, it probably just maintains a bit of civility. Besides, once you get in the habit of not speeding, not trying to get around cars illegally, and not regularly running yellow lights with full throttle...

Than it's not really all that much of an issue...
It's not regularly running lights. The question is why are their all these cameras in moco? Why not in Baltimore city? Surely there are more crowded cross walks in the city. Again is it a safety issue or the fact that moco residents can afford to pay the fines whiles others cannot. What are the stats between the number of red light cameras in moco compared to PG? I can assure you moco has more even though pg is a very crowded county as well. It all comes down to who can afford to pay and who can't.

Enjoy your taxes as it appears that a lot of people actually do.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:56 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,889,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldway View Post
It's not regularly running lights. The question is why are their all these cameras in moco? Why not in Baltimore city? Surely there are more crowded cross walks in the city. Again is it a safety issue or the fact that moco residents can afford to pay the fines whiles others cannot. What are the stats between the number of red light cameras in moco compared to PG? I can assure you moco has more even though pg is a very crowded county as well. It all comes down to who can afford to pay and who can't.

As for the crowds and traffic, I will agree that this is a problem. But it is a problem that hasn't been something that has directly affected me. There hasn't been anything else that will drive me away from the area except the odd, abysmal weather and annoying house prices.

I'm not for taxes but I can certainly say that I've seen a lot less bags being littered around the street than usual ever since the new year began. You tell me if that is a good thing or not.

As for speed cameras and red light tickets, I'm not a fan of them either and I don't normally travel through the roads that have them for the most part. They are a bit dangerous to have when the cars in front of you have to brake but then again Americans don't really know how to drive. However, a lot of them seem to be on school zones and if they are used to catch speeders during the regular school days, then that's fine with me. I don't want to see no fart-can Honda blasting through the school zone and the next thing I hear is that someone gets hurt.

As long as there is a sidewalk, I'll walk on it. I have felt safe walking around most areas in the county and it has drastically made my legs stronger and have saved $$$ on gas since I don't really need to drive around as much. I once went on a band trip to Orlando, FL which was a nice place but I've also found out that it was a dangerous place to walk around because everything was so spread out. Now granted that place has lots of other things going for it like nicer winters and whatnot but I will never live in a place where the car is the only way of getting around. Apparently, Florida is not pedestrian-friendly and that's quite ironic that a state warmer than the rest of the NE US won't give you the option of walking unless your in Naples or some other beach town. I like having options of getting around w/o a car like I do now and I'm not shying away with that. In fact if gas prices were to shoot past $5 a gal, I could care less and continue my journey by walking/bus/rail. Will still use a car but not highly necessary and I plan to keep it that way.

Last edited by rsh56; 04-06-2012 at 09:24 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,029,292 times
your reasons make me want to go there.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:17 PM

11,394 posts, read 9,316,239 times
Quote:
Like I said to each their own. I am married with 3 kids. Sorry but a basement apartment just won't work for my situation. I did that when I was 22 not now that I am 40. I guess I think I should have something a little nicer after all the crap I put up with at work, but like I said to each their own.

I know the bag tax is petty don't you think? Sad that I brought it up. I guess that's why you like living in moco then. Why should the county tax you on a bag that seems pretty petty to me. The reason is its easy money a little here a little there.... Don't worry the lemmings in the county won't complain about it because it's so......petty. If it so petty, why not push it out to the rest of the state? Oh that's right moco is the sugar daddy and everyone there makes a million or more so they can pay for the rest of MD citizens.

And just what are statistics around the red light cameras anyway? I know they bring a ton of cash in for the state....funny again how these red light and speed cameras show up in moco? Why is that? Are the citizens of moco more important than the people of carroll or Washington county? Or could it do with the amount of money that is moco? I wonder.....

It really is sad when people really careless about giving up their liberties and bend over for the government just to take more money of their pockets. But then again that seems to be the mentality of a lot of people who live there based on the crooks they keep voting into office.
The obvious point I was making is there is affordable housing here if you want it.

An example is you can find a good large townhouse in Montgomery Village for 150,000. Or one could rent a house for about 1700 per month.

Spending a half million on a home here like you mentioned is absurd.

As far as the bag tax - it was already in DC and it's my understanding it is coming to PG County later this year.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:54 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,826,811 times
Quote:
Nobody enjoys taxes. People accept taxes and move on with their lives because they recognize that you have to make sacrifices to live in a society with other human beings. Your objections to Moco are that, apparently, you cannot afford to live in Bethesda, which is an extremely sought-after community, and you don't like the bag tax, and you don't like the speed camera. Fair enough, but I think most people can find three things that they don't like about their community that are far more serious than these issues. It is when you suggested that everyone who likes moco is a tax-loving lemming that you came across as someone who is bitter and has entitlement issues. My family doesn't have a ton of money, but we scrimp and save and try to enjoy this area for what it is, and when we do move somewhere else, I think I'm going to have good memories of moco.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:32 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,265,994 times
The 'bag tax' isn't unique to MoCo either. That's become a more common in many places. I think I remember it even as long as 15 years ago in Oregon...

Basically people just 'recycle' their bags...put them in the trunk of your car, bring them into the stores, and keep re-using them.

Half of the garbage that we throw away, is basically just 'wrappings' like paper bags and plastic bags and packaging. Instead of throwing them in the trash, just throw them back in the trunk of your car. Not that big of a deal.

I'm not sure if MoCo do that with their bags...but people in Oregon seem to understand the law to have been created with that kind of purpose in mind.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:56 PM

15,446 posts, read 25,878,448 times
Quote:

Who cares about the cameras? You can go up to 11 miles an hour above the speed limit and not get your photo snapped. Those going faster than that deserve what they get.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM

5 posts, read 7,541 times
I got one red light camera ticket in moco for simply going over the intersection line a little bit. I went to court on it and got it reduced, but had to pay court costs. So it cost me $47 rather than $75.

The problem I have with these cameras is they are more about revenue than public safety. Private companies run most of them so there is a real profit motive, especially among ones that get per-ticket fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland