Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times

Advertisements

On separate days next week I have to go:
1) from Bowie (Rt 50) to Landmark Mall in Alexandria (Duke Street/236 and Van Dorn)

2) from Bowie to Fairfax County (Fairfax County Parkway and Franklin Farm)
--------------------------
RE:1)
-- What's traffic like through the Van Dorn area at 9.a.?? How bad is that Eisenhower construction at that time, or say around 10a.

Sometimes I go around on the beltway, down to Van Vorn and come up -- other times I go into DC and take the 395 tunnel under and down through town to 395 in VA.? Which would you recommend? I know NEITHER is really ideal, or a time saver. But would like some other takes on it, (How people commute to VA every day in rush hour I'll never know)

RE: 2) Going that far out in Fairfax I always go around the beltway, (to get to Rt 66) But I USUALLY go the Woodrow Wilson way -- NOT the Silver Spring direction. I've never really gotten hung up going through construction in the Van Dorn/Eisenhower area -- but I also haven't done it at 9.a. either.

At 9-10a would you go the Woodrow Wilson direction or the Silver Spring direction. EITHER way I have to go HALFWAY around. Is one shorter/better than the other??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
1) Go up to BW Parkway on 495 (too congested on 50 imo) and then go down towards DC, go through DC, take 395. Should be relatively easy.

2)Go up to BW Parkway on 495 and then go down towards DC, go through DC, take 395, take VA-110, and then get on 66. 66 is usually light going away from the city in the morning. The hardest part of that commute will probably be BW Parkway but once you get pass Eastern Avenue it is usually light going south. Once you get out to 66, take Route 50 towards Winchester and then take the 7100 exit towards Reston. That is much quicker than going 66 to 7100.

And if you absolutely have to take I-495 go towards the Wilson Bridge. Going through Silver Spring will get you nowhere.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:33 PM

uh, thanks, I think (Just kidding)

A couple of things, maybe it's a mental block or unfamiliarity -- but I have NEVER (not that I've tried) been able to get the hang of getting from 295 in DC over to 395. The one time I tried it I missed the exit, or couldn't find the right exit. On the map it doesn't look like it's easy to do. how WELL is it marked with signs to follow.

(The one time I tried it coming INTO MD I ended up in Anacostia some place you wouldn't want to stop in the daytime let alone at night. Also tried crossinginto DC and ended up is some projects up against the freeway. ScaREEE)

A friend of mine uses this for her commute to Vienna, but I'm hesitant.

As for 295, 395, 110 past the Pentagon to 66...never thought of it. I'm still digesting that suggestion.

EXACTLY which bridge gets you over to DC on 295? NEITHER MAPQUEST nor GOOGLE MAPS show WESTboand PA ave exit -- only EAST (the wrong way for me), and the 295 south lanes after that that merge with 295 from DC don't show a WESTboard exit either.

Last edited by selhars; 07-06-2011 at 12:42 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 02:06 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
uh, thanks, I think (Just kidding)

A couple of things, maybe it's a mental block or unfamiliarity -- but I have NEVER (not that I've tried) been able to get the hang of getting from 295 in DC over to 395. The one time I tried it I missed the exit, or couldn't find the right exit. On the map it doesn't look like it's easy to do. how WELL is it marked with signs to follow.

(The one time I tried it coming INTO MD I ended up in Anacostia some place you wouldn't want to stop in the daytime let alone at night. Also tried crossinginto DC and ended up is some projects up against the freeway. ScaREEE)

A friend of mine uses this for her commute to Vienna, but I'm hesitant.

As for 295, 395, 110 past the Pentagon to 66...never thought of it. I'm still digesting that suggestion.

EXACTLY which bridge gets you over to DC on 295? NEITHER MAPQUEST nor GOOGLE MAPS show WESTboand PA ave exit -- only EAST (the wrong way for me), and the 295 south lanes after that that merge with 295 from DC don't show a WESTboard exit either.
The situation with the 295 and 395 connection is being fixed by the new 11th street bridge construction. When done, there will be ramps for each direction. For now:

295 south to exit for Howard Rd. Left at the light. Left again at first light. Back on 295 North (BUT STAY RIGHT) take the first exit right after you get backi on 295 and follow signs to 395 Virginia.

The other way: 395 North to SE/SW Freeway (Do not take the 395 exit for the tunnel / just keep going straight on the freeway (395 becomes SE/SE Freeway). Exit at Pennsylvania Ave. Right at light (no left allowed anyways) GET IN THE FAR LEFT LANE IMMEDIATELY and cross the bridge. Take the very first left turn onto 295 north. If you miss the left you will end up in SE DC. In that case, you make a U turn and come back to make a right onto 295 north.

There are alternate options but the above is easiest.

For 110 in Virginia - use the first direction above to get to 395 in Virginia. Keep right (careful because far right lane will end before you get to exit 8B) and use exit 8B to 110 and then follow 110 to 66 west.

Coming back on 66 through Arlington take the exit for 110 south to 395 north.

It's easier than it seems, at least to me it is, but the first time is tricky.

If all that is too much then may I suggest the simple way? take 50 to 295 (Wilson Bridge) to Van Dorn st.

Even simpler: 50 to 95/495 south to Van Dorn st.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
295 south to exit for Howard Rd. Left at the light. Left again at first light. Back on 295 North (BUT STAY RIGHT) take the first exit right after you get backi on 295 and follow signs to 395 Virginia.
Oh, heck no. I'm not going through all of that.

Anyone know how bad the construction on the VA side on the beltway is at the Eisenhower connector?

To get to Landmark, I used to take the beltway around to Van Dorn, but the last two times -- I went into DC, and took the 395 tunnel and came down.

Oe the one hand the beltway seems like such a long way around...on the other....the 395 way usually isn't THAT bad. I REALLY I am not in the mood to get stuck if the Eisenhower construction is bad -- but it MAY NOT BE. That's I'm hoping to still get some info on.

As for going to Fairfax, coworkers who need to CROSS the beltway -- meaning they come all the way into town on on 66 -- say the construction and the beltway and 66 is ridiculous, with exit closures etc. But if I get on 66 at the beltway GOING away from DC, I'm thinking I MIGHT avoid some of that. Any info on that?

Both trips -- Fairfax on Monday and Landmark on Tuesday -- I'l be going between 9 and 10 a, -- and coming back say around 8 and 9 p.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:47 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
That is the easiest way, but suit yourself.

Quote:

Anyone know how bad the construction on the VA side on the beltway is at the Eisenhower connector?

To get to Landmark, I used to take the beltway around to Van Dorn, but the last two times -- I went into DC, and took the 395 tunnel and came down.

Oe the one hand the beltway seems like such a long way around...on the other....the 395 way usually isn't THAT bad. I REALLY I am not in the mood to get stuck if the Eisenhower construction is bad -- but it MAY NOT BE. That's I'm hoping to still get some info on.

Without construction, 295 all the way down to 495 is a good option. 295 to 395 is also good, but does have traffic in DC. I gave directions for both. You decide which is best.

Quote:
As for going to Fairfax, coworkers who need to CROSS the beltway -- meaning they come all the way into town on on 66 -- say the construction and the beltway and 66 is ridiculous, with exit closures etc. But if I get on 66 at the beltway GOING away from DC, I'm thinking I MIGHT avoid some of that. Any info on that?

Both trips -- Fairfax on Monday and Landmark on Tuesday -- I'l be going between 9 and 10 a, -- and coming back say around 8 and 9 p.

In the evenings, 66 can be a pain, but that's usually 66 Westbound (inside the Beltway). Inside the beltway going towards DC should be fine. I don't have info about outside the beltway though. At night, work usually starts at 9:30 pm according to the signs. I'm on 66 west often between 8:30 and 9:30 pm.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 AM

195 posts, read 473,557 times
Quote:

I commute between Hyattsville and just off Edsall Road everyday. Going 295 to 495 and over the Wilson Bridge is fine in the morning. The construction around Eisenhower Ave. Connector usually is fine on the Inner Loop, nothing more than a little slowdown; the way home in the afternoon there is a backup caused by the lanes narrowing on the Outer Loop, often starting at Van Dorn, but as late as you'd be heading back that shouldn't be a problem ... unless it's one of those days where they have a lane closure or something. Those should be noted on wilsonbridge.com -- Update: Capital Beltway and Telegraph Road Closures July 6-10

Old 07-07-2011, 12:30 PM

OK, OK I'll try the Howard Road left, left odyssey (idiocy). Would you say that way is FASTER than staying on NY Ave to the 395 tunnel at 5th street?

It may not be an issue when I'm traveling -- but doesn't that come-off-the-highway, left, left to get back on -- cause major headaches for the morning rush. Those left turns aren't backed up like crazy at 7:30 a.m.? How has it possibly been all these years that people have been doing that nonsense.

When is the eastbound bridge access due to be finished??

Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
OK, OK I'll try the Howard Road left, left odyssey (idiocy). Would you say that way is FASTER than staying on NY Ave to the 395 tunnel at 5th street?
YES!!!! You would have to be nuts to take New York Avenue just to get to I-395. That is not happening. Once you get on Howard Road, it connects with South Capitol Street and then you just cross the bridge go through the Riverfront area and you're on I-395. It's really not that bad.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:48 PM

195 posts, read 473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
YES!!!! You would have to be nuts to take New York Avenue just to get to I-395. That is not happening. Once you get on Howard Road, it connects with South Capitol Street and then you just cross the bridge go through the Riverfront area and you're on I-395. It's really not that bad.
For the trip to Landmark, just take I-295 S all the way to the Wilson Bridge. In the morning, once you're past the back up to do the Howard Road turn around, you're done with the worst of it. I-395 N from the Beltway to Duke Street has mostly cleared up by 9 a.m., unless there's been an accident or something; or you can take Van Dorn to avoid I-395 entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland