Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:29 PM

27 posts, read 97,297 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to Maryland,ideally to gaithersburg, rockville, germantown area. I am having a hard time pinpointing apartment complexes that are safe, within a good school district and where I will not get ripped off. Looking for a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment with washer and dryer, thats my minimum..I have read several reviews at apartment ratings and they all seem messed up. Someone suggested me a place call The crossings at washingtonian center..... but i dont want to go higher than 1,400 per month. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 11:00 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,947 times
Having recently moved to G'burg, I understand your problem. It is tough to sort it out.
There is MAJOR construction right across the street from The Crossings...I'd stay away for a year or two.
Where will you be working?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:35 AM

146 posts, read 374,970 times
I would recommend the Washingtonian Center, The Alaire near twinbrook station, or near rockville town square

Old 05-24-2011, 07:36 AM

I still dont have a job there, although I am applying. I recently graduated from Ohio State university (thats where i am now) with a masters in molecular biology. I have been in rockville-bethesda before since I worked at NIH during summer some yrs ago. For my field, MD seems like the right place to be, compare to columbus, OH where there is no Biotech/ research -develoopment, or pharma going on at all. I dont even have a job here either, since the jobmarket for my field here is very narrow, almost none, and they would hardly pay me $12per hour if i am to settle down for a job that doesnt require MS experience. I have noticed that the fact that i am still in OH is a drawback for recruiters and companies hiring in MD. So i am thinking to relocate even without the job and make it work on money i have on a CD. Maybe plan to live in a hotel for 2months, but at the end i dont know if this will be more expensive than renting somewhere temporarily for 6 months.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 AM

64 posts, read 195,606 times
I'm not very familiar with the apartment complexes around here, but you probably run less of a risk of getting in an unsafe neighborhood up in Germantown. In Rockville and Gaitherburg (esp. Gaithersburg), I think you have to pick your neighborhood more carefully although there are some really nice places.

About 10 years ago, I was hunting for a Gaithersburg/Germantown apartment. I really liked the Seneca Club in Germantown (but ended up buying a townhouse). I think that will fall under your max rent. I think the Milestone Apartments in Germantown are at a good location for shopping and pretty convenient to I-270.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:41 PM

Thank you all for the feedback. I started looking and calling the suggested places. I liked Seneca club and Milestone although this last goes over my budget. I also looked and call to The Fields. They seem to have several locations, germantown and gaithersburg are tax credit communities, i liked germantown and gaithersburg made me wonder if is a good place since all the utilities are included for about 1200 something. I also checked The Gables at Waters Landing....liked it but dont know about the area. I think I am anyways doomed by the fact that I still dont have a job there and they will require me to have at least 2 paystubs for sigining a lease. I was planning to use some savings I have, nut it seems they would not consider that. I am getting so frustrated with this cycle. Any more suggestions are welcomed.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:06 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriamia2 View Post
Thank you all for the feedback. I started looking and calling the suggested places. I liked Seneca club and Milestone although this last goes over my budget. I also looked and call to The Fields. They seem to have several locations, germantown and gaithersburg are tax credit communities, i liked germantown and gaithersburg made me wonder if is a good place since all the utilities are included for about 1200 something. I also checked The Gables at Waters Landing....liked it but dont know about the area. I think I am anyways doomed by the fact that I still dont have a job there and they will require me to have at least 2 paystubs for sigining a lease. I was planning to use some savings I have, nut it seems they would not consider that. I am getting so frustrated with this cycle. Any more suggestions are welcomed.
The Fields of Gaithersburg is fine. It's in 20878 which means good schools. It's not a bad place at all. I doubt you can get in there without a job, though.

I think if you stay in the homestead suites, nearby, and do job hunting from there. When you find a job it will be easier to find a place.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:47 PM

Well I am estimating it can take me up to 3 months to land a job, though am already in contact with recruiters there and hope i can leave OH with a job offer. If that is the case the homestead option would be quite expensive (2,400 per month). I am considering renting a basement on a month to month basis or 3 months. Job market is so tough these days is unbelievable. I just want to get out of columbus cause here for sure I have no chance to land a job in my field.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:00 PM

...still i need to make sure that even the basement I rent is within a safe area and a good school district.......so any more comments are welcome

Old 05-24-2011, 05:04 PM

does anyonw know anything about Grove Park Apartments in Gaithersburg??? they are in 750 clopper road and is within 20878.... i just keep reading in other threads that gaithersburg is not as safe...some clarity on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland