Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 02:25 PM

175 posts, read 651,737 times

Advertisements

Hello i know someone who wants to move out of bethesda because they think people there are incredibly rude, and i have to not argue wid them. I go down to potomac, bethesda or chevy chase etc. And some people there think they own the world. No offense to anyone living there. Anyway, how is living up in olney, sandy spring ashton, etc.? They say they like being away from the beltway etc., but don't know enough about the area. Is being farther away from dc make people a little less.. Well.. Stressed out? I am not a agent or anything, but am actually interested in knowing too. They also want to know how safe the area is, the races, and etc.

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 03:27 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayayards View Post
Hello i know someone who wants to move out of bethesda because they think people there are incredibly rude, and i have to not argue wid them. I go down to potomac, bethesda or chevy chase etc. And some people there think they own the world. No offense to anyone living there. Anyway, how is living up in olney, sandy spring ashton, etc.? They say they like being away from the beltway etc., but don't know enough about the area. Is being farther away from dc make people a little less.. Well.. Stressed out? I am not a agent or anything, but am actually interested in knowing too. They also want to know how safe the area is, the races, and etc.

Thanks for any info!
I think the appeal of Olney is its distinction from inside the beltway communities. If you can afford Bethesda/Chevy Chase then certainly Olney is affordable but it can be quite expensive. Olney seems to be mostly single-family homes, many of them in pretty contemporary subdivisions. There are some fairly nice townhouse communities just north of Glenmont that I'm sure has some rentals. The closer toward Wheaton the more "dicier" it becomes but no where around is particularly cheap.

Olney is a very low-density family friendly area. No shopping malls or anything like that, you have to go into Wheaton, Bethesda (yeah I know), or Gaithersburg for anything beyond strip mall type shopping. But those types of shopping are good; there is a really nice Safeway over on New Hampshire Avenue IMO. But traffic is much better by virtue of the low-density style development. Although traffic can get a little thick on Georgia Avenue and Norwood Road, a lot that could be contributed to neighboring areas. Although the Inter County Connector is controversial, it can potentially drop you off (well you in your car anyway) directly onto Georgia Avenue or New Hampshire Avenue (which is more Sandy Spring and Spencerville) and avoid much of the surface street traffic.

Although mostly "white", the area is still quite diverse and has representatives from every ethnicity that you can think of. The public schools are also diverse and very high performing. Our Lady of Good Counsel is a private school that is located up there as well. So the area is not particularly entertaining or bustling, but it is not exclusively rural either. This is my take on Olney so just assume this is one person's perspective. Others may differ and not like the area due to its lack of panache in comparison to a Bethesda. But people in the area strike me as fairly nice, perhaps not in a "down home" kind of way but certainly not pretentious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland