Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 11,232 times

Advertisements

Relocating and unfamiliar with DC and surrounding area. I have had suggestions for Bethesda, Silver Springs, Takoma Park and Chevy Chase.

I am looking for a safe neighborhood with great options for children under 5years....accessibility to natural markets. Culturally diverse is also great. I will be working in DC so I need to get to DC relatively quickly either by car or public transport.

Also, would like preschool suggestions and daycare.

Thanks!
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 06:17 AM

5 posts, read 10,943 times
I am wondering why you choose to move from Ill to DC? I love chicago, its like a millin times better than DC to me, sure thats not everyones mindset though. Just curious

Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelgado View Post
I am wondering why you choose to move from Ill to DC? I love chicago, its like a millin times better than DC to me, sure thats not everyones mindset though. Just curious
I beg to differ, I am a Chicago native and have also lived in the DMV area and I prefer the DMV to Chicago a 100 times over. Chicago is experiencing the worst times in political corruption, financial deficit, high unemployment rates and violent crimes. Unfortunately, the crime is highly segragated to the south side of Chicago, but other areas and surburbs are not without. I too am relocating back to the DMV area as soon as I can!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:23 PM

Chicago can be nice and I think mostly tourists come here and really enjoy. The downtown is geared to attract and there are many great events to attend. However, living here for some is not as picturesque as the tourist scene.

Personally, I am relocating for a job and welcome the opportunity for a change from Chicago. And I quite agree with Windy Kitty.

So, any suggestions on great areas to live in the DMV area? Schools?

Thanks

Old 07-30-2010, 01:35 PM

13 posts, read 50,444 times
It really depends on your level of income, Chevy Chase & Bethesda are more high-end developments. Chevy Chase homes/apt. prices are very high. Bethesda can get pricey too and is a little more congested. Silver Spring covers a lot of terriorty, some sections that are better than others. Takoma Park is quaint but small and borders the N.E. DC line and is the least safest of the four areas (IMO). All are easily accessible to metro/bus lines. Silver Spring & Takoma Park are more culturally diverse.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 AM

Thanks MissM10. Appreciate the feedback.

Is downtown Silver Spring one of the better areas in Silver Spring?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 23,502 times
DowThere are areas around Chevy Chase like Kensington that are nice and cheap areas. Downtown SS is one of the "better" areas as in there is the most stuff to do as far as restaurants and movie theaters etc, but I wouldn't rule out more suburban areas like Forest Glen, about a mile or so outside of downtown.

And to the person above who said Takoma is the least safest of the four areas doesn't know what they're talking about. I lived in Takoma Park for a year and loved it. Never felt threatened once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland