Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2023, 12:16 PM

37,208 posts, read 39,488,121 times

Advertisements

https://cleantechnica.com/2023/06/14...y-the-numbers/

New EV crossover from Volvo in the subcompact segment. It's sort of like an updated luxury Bolt EUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 12:33 PM

21,877 posts, read 25,195,050 times
Maybe not so luxury, although at $35,000 starting that's to be expected, and that's AFTER the 25% China tariffs.

RWD base is nice. Range is not bad as the base model here is extended range RWD ~265 miles. So about the same. AWD is probably $3,500 going off Polestar numbers or so more which would be the one to get imo as, well, that's the beauty of EVs. You're already paying the EV tax to get in the door so might as well enjoy the benefits. Options is really where they'll get you. Chevy or Hyundai you can kit the car out for a lot less than you will with Volvo. Charging should be better. I'd say all in all it's basically Bolt 2.0 on Ultium from Volvo.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:32 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULWyrYv_H_Y

The comparison to a Model Y is odd given that it's one segment down in size, but I guess the Model Y is likely the EV that the largest number of people are familiar with and it probably helps with getting clicks. I do think there's a decent chance it'll do fairly well in sales since a lot of markets like more compact vehicles for various reasons and the price does go substantially down along with the size being smaller. As mentioned in the video, it's odd that the vehicle accelerates faster than the Polestar 2 which is a segment higher in size and costs and Polestar is supposed to be a performance line. I do wonder if there will be a sibling Polestar vehicle based on the same platform.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-20-2023 at 12:41 PM..

Old 06-20-2023, 12:38 PM

An actual walkaround video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DhfvedR0CQ

Does have a small frunk compartment apparently. Also has a 0-60 mph of about 3.4 seconds in the dual motor, AWD version so it gets pretty quick.

Old 07-29-2023, 04:46 AM

12,519 posts, read 9,595,585 times
I think it's nice looking with those clean lines, and it's small-er, but it doesn't look unsafe/cramped small, and Volvo is known for very solid construction, so I imagine the IIHS crash test scores will be outstanding. 275mi of range is respectable, it should be quick even in the base trim, and for an upscale vehicle, sounds attractively priced. This could be a winner.

Volvo has a page for it on their website now, said to be released in the US in summer 2024.
https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/ex30-electric/

Old 11-07-2023, 03:33 PM

Now some hands-on driving reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnkD9YfCJ44

Apparently there's a lot to like! It's about the size of the Chevy Bolt and with surprisingly sporty performance.

I'm glad there are smaller vehicles coming out that are making their way stateside. I think I would have liked something more wagon-y, but this still seems pretty nice. The center console seems particularly well thought-out. The big screen in the middle with very few buttons isn't my favorite trend. I like that at least the climate control vents are simple hand adjustable ones. I'm hoping there's some after market devices that can tap into the vehicle system though so you can mount some hard buttons and dials or a headsup display. It'd certainly be a fun hack to try.

US pricing was previously released here: https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/e...025-volvo-ex30

In some ways it seems like a premium badge Chevy Bolt EUV with more powerful motors, a small frunk, and faster DC charging rate (175 kW) where it's sort of a crossover/SUV, but more like a tall hatchback in terms of practicality and good packaging. I think these will sell well if there are good leasing deals including the $7,500 federal tax credit.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-07-2023 at 03:59 PM..

Old 11-08-2023, 09:01 AM

16,554 posts, read 19,730,512 times
I can't get past the interior. or the exterior honestly. I think it's so unattractive. I get the excitement over it though.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:49 AM

39 posts, read 20,507 times
Volvo EX30 IMO

Plus - Nice exterior design.
Plus - Good visibility all around.

Minus - interior surfaces IKEA sparse look/feel.
Minus - Prefer switches and buttons to tablets for some functions.
Minus - All that glass up top, worries about chips, etc. glass replacements higher cost.
Minus - No tax incentives.

Opinion - A flood of somewhat similar EV's have been produced by China's automotive industry.

Unknown - Buying EX30 made in Belgium rather than China. Possible in US market?

I've fond memories of our two 240DL's (one wagon, one sedan),
High mileage out of both. Built like a tank. Comfortable and pretty quiet inside on road.
Downside with 240DL's was replacement parts. If you needed something like alternator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo