Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:45 PM

148 posts, read 370,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Wow... kind of like saying I don't know much about rugby - but let me tell you how to play! That's awesome.
Sure... why not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 09:48 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Wow... kind of like saying I don't know much about rugby - but let me tell you how to play! That's awesome.

lol - my thoughts exactly...............

Old 01-16-2011, 10:05 PM

139 posts, read 239,519 times
Shut up anders, you're just jealous that Richmond is more better than your suckish suburban resort center.... but I gotta give u guys props for the beach..... I wish we had one of those......*sigh*....*sob*

Old 01-26-2015, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 5,641 times
VB is 3 times bigger than Richmond(population wise)! If you wanna be technical, the Oceanfront is the size of Downtown Richmond, more money in VB also, Town Center/Pembroke area is growing! The tallest skyscraper in VA is in VB which is the Wessin, also their are proposals for The Tide Light Rail to expand to the Oceanfront,(even though it should have started from down there) also The Hampton Roads area has a Cosmopolitan that Richmond laics, only 7 independent cities with-in the Metro woth a population of about 2 million people, more endorsed by major national attention (pro sports teams, military, businesses, ect.) the only LEGIT thing Richmond has over VB honestly is Richmonds the capitol of the state, soooo for ANYONE to claim Richmond is "bigger" than VB or "more urban" or "better" is fcking nuts, VB is kind of a metro in a city, from urban to suburban, to rural in Pungo(shall i say NC technically) Richmond isnt as diverse as VB

Old 01-27-2015, 09:33 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,561 times
Richmond is the more professional metro of the two. It is the more cultural and better educated of the two. The public and private schools are better in Richmond too (not that educating kids is an issue for the OP now).

The two metros are very different. I can certainly see why people like to live in Tidewater. The living is easy and there are some really beautiful places there (Mathews, False Cape State Park, Yorktown, Smithfield, Ghent...). I personally don't want to live there (I grew up in Newport News and spent all of my free time in high school in Richmond).
I can understand why people that are attracted to Tidewater don't care for Richmond.

Richmond is "cool", aloof, formal, competitive, cultural and political. Tidewater is fun, breezy, folksy and friendly,

Both are in Virginia so you know they are going to be better than just about anywhere

I believe that Tidewater is home to more large commercial construction companies/ developers...but all of their work is in Richmond. Richmond is growing at a faster rate and better quality stuff is being built here (higher wages = better housing). You'll make more money in Richmond too,

Old 01-27-2015, 09:48 AM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cpjrva...08232/sizes/l/

if you're talking about comparing just the city of VA Beach with the City of Richmond (which I doubt the OP is) then VA Beach is only twice the size of Richmond with regards to population. Virginia Beach is also 497 square miles. Richmond is 62 square miles.

I've posted the above photo for a reality check. Richmond is the most legit city in Virginia. If you're looking for a city lifestyle, Richmond is the better option. The suburbs of Richmond out perform those of Virginia Beach (Tidewater) in every category. The Richmond metro population is thinner, healthier, smarter, wealthier and past peak employment (Tidewater still isn't at peak).

That's not to call Tidewater backwards at all! Just splitting hairs here. The demographics and amenities in Tidewater are very good too!

Old 01-27-2015, 12:14 PM

867 posts, read 1,398,291 times
Really, spencer...we goin through this again? Yall fall for it everytime. Dude got every bit of ONE post and you jump right on it. And then you have the nerve to say "Richmond is the most legit city in Virginia"? No its not.SMH. Yall dudes never learn boy I tell ya. And you continue to go on to say that "metro Richmond is more healthier, wealthier, smarter more cultural" etc. ...what a bunch of bullsheet...after the whole dmn Commonwealth had to go to bat for Richmond vs Raleigh, really?

Not only is the thread two years old, but the OP was looking to rent a townhouse and work in construction for commercial/homebuilder...VA Beach is FLOODED with townhomes and houses are being thrown up from Pungo to Isle of Wight. SMH. And then you try to turn this into a metro thing...
"Better quality stuff being built in Richmond...growing at a faster rate"?... come on dude...all our work is in Richmond?...please stop, lol! If anything Richmond is playing catchup in the Commonwealth and VA Beach is retrofitting its assets. Virginia Beach's suburbs? What are they, Lago Mar, Sandbridge, Ashville Park? Did you ever come thru the tube to the Southside when you stayed down this way? SMH. I understand the mysterious one posting poster may have gotten under your skin, but lets not play the who can top who game all willy nilly.

Im tellin ya boy ya cant say nothing nice about you folks before ya goin ruin it. SMHLOL. "Richmond is cool but HR is folksy" hahahaaha. I must be takin that wrong.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 5,641 times
Spencer Newport News and Hampton, are NOTHING like the Southside and those two cities are smaller than Richmond land wise and still just as populated lmao your nuts if you think Richmond is better than VB/Norfolk, i mean wth is 'Metro' about Richmond for real, theres only country ass Petersburg and Henrico Co. Other than that, we are the prime of VA, nobody goes to Richmond when they come to VA lol! If its not the HR then its NOVA/DC, Richmond's built more so a local metro feel, where so VB is more on a national scheme, and i dislike both cities honestly overall but VB area is more urban, better trans., more efficient than Richmond, for u to say school is better in Richmond is nuts, VB has a reputation for one of the best educated cities! Our school systems are better, and more money in Richmond hahaaaaa, their are more millionares in VB than probably the whole metro of Richmond and the city, theres hoods everywhere but overall we are a better city, you must never have been to VB/Norfolk, and RICHMOND is soo behind HR its not even funny so where is Richmond rapidly growing? Its cheaper in Richmond i'd give you that but make more money there ionno bout that one! But then again the pay is balanced

Old 01-27-2015, 02:48 PM

867 posts, read 1,398,291 times
^^^^ you sound like a troll yo. ^^^^

Old 01-27-2015, 04:54 PM

You guys are welcome to peruse the databases of the census bureau, department of health and that of labor statistics.
You can check the rankings of public and private schools. It is all very easy and all evidence supports the claim that Richmond out performs Tidewater in every category that I mentioned. You can give subjective reasons or you can follow the money and graduating college students. Both are choosing Richmond over Tidewater.

Individual income is higher in Richmond. Household income is higher in Richmond. Home prices are higher in Richmond. Unemployment is lower in Richmond. The growth rate is nearly twice as high for metro Richmond (with the city enjoying the highest rate) than that of Tidewater...

I've spent the last five months working in Norfolk and VA Beach (at the TCC campuses). I have lived and have been spending time there for 45 years. I probably know the area better than most of you. I've had the pleasure of having lived in NoVa, Tidewater and Richmond. My observations are the result of experience, not feelings.

Last edited by spencer114; 01-27-2015 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia