Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:44 AM

146 posts, read 343,890 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We are back from a harrowing weekend in the big W.
It was unfortunately not what I expected and from the sounds of your posts above it won't be anytime soon. We chose Winchester for the growth possibilities. At the moment it is just like what I want to leave. Maybe slightly bigger. I am amazed that there is such opposition to growth. Why?
It was a bit too sleepy for us. At 7:00 on Saturday night everything in the pedestrian walking mall was closed except a few restaurants. We were glad we stayed at the George Washington hotel but never will again. It was uncomfortable and teenagers were running up and down the hall yelling until 4 AM.
We did like one or two areas outside of the city. Namely Apple Pie Ridge RD. and out to the west but we did not have enough time to explore them fully.
I liked Purcellville but it may be too expensive for us to buy a 4 BR there.
Remains to be seen.
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 AM

4,900 posts, read 7,460,673 times
I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you.

I can understand the stores on the walking mall being closed; it is January. The downtowns of most small cities close earlier during the winter and the economy has smacked Winchester, just like so many.

I'm surprised by the GW though. Teenagers running wild? Wow, was there a sports team or something staying there? Did you complain to the management? I sure would have. We had a similar situation once where a college baseball team were obviously coming in from a big win! It took one call to the front desk and, within minutes, we could hear the coach settling things down very quickly!

If you're looking at Purcellville, it's a lot more like Northern Virginia. You'll still have to head to Leesburg and Lansdowne/Ashburn area to find much going on after 7 p.m.

Best of luck.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:30 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,307,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chy View Post
Hi,
Could you offer me infromation. I am possibly moving to Winchester for a job at The valley Hospital. I have a son , 12 and am looking for a great safe neighborhood. A catholic church. Could you tell me what there is to do there. From the pictures it looks really nice. We are moving from Charlotte NC.
If you would like to email me please do so at ford080barn773@yahoo.
Thank you so much.
Well, there are TWO Catholic churches I'm aware of. One in Winchester and one in Front Royal..... Been tough on that front. Especially since we don't really like the one in Winchester...

Old 01-18-2010, 08:32 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,307,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmadhel View Post
Hi All,
We are back from a harrowing weekend in the big W.
It was unfortunately not what I expected and from the sounds of your posts above it won't be anytime soon. We chose Winchester for the growth possibilities. At the moment it is just like what I want to leave. Maybe slightly bigger. I am amazed that there is such opposition to growth. Why?
It was a bit too sleepy for us. At 7:00 on Saturday night everything in the pedestrian walking mall was closed except a few restaurants. We were glad we stayed at the George Washington hotel but never will again. It was uncomfortable and teenagers were running up and down the hall yelling until 4 AM.
We did like one or two areas outside of the city. Namely Apple Pie Ridge RD. and out to the west but we did not have enough time to explore them fully.
I liked Purcellville but it may be too expensive for us to buy a 4 BR there.
Remains to be seen.
K
Not sure where you went that you'd like Purcellville and not Winchester. Purcellville really isn't any larger (in fact I think it's smaller...). But yeah, it's definately more of a growth area. I think this thread has been pretty clear that Winchester's charm lies in the fact that it is trying to limit the massive growth of NoVA, so if you misunderstood that somehow, sorry...

Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 AM

146 posts, read 343,890 times
I guess my last post was contradictory. I liked P'ville because it is close to Leesburg but not in it. I suppose I want the best of both worlds. I like the small town feel very close to a big town. We have not totally ruled out Winchester it was just a bit of a let down compared to what I expected. Its just like here and we want to leave because this area is shrinking and raising taxes with no hope of catching up fiscally.

And yes, I had to call the front desk twice and yell at the brats myself.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:28 PM

229 posts, read 879,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Not sure where you went that you'd like Purcellville and not Winchester. Purcellville really isn't any larger (in fact I think it's smaller...). But yeah, it's definately more of a growth area. I think this thread has been pretty clear that Winchester's charm lies in the fact that it is trying to limit the massive growth of NoVA, so if you misunderstood that somehow, sorry...
Purcellville has around 4,000 people while the city of Winchester is about to touch 27,000..yeah Winchester is a bit more bigger by about 23,000 people.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I guess my last post was contradictory. I liked P'ville because it is close to Leesburg but not in it. I suppose I want the best of both worlds. I like the small town feel very close to a big town. We have not totally ruled out Winchester it was just a bit of a let down compared to what I expected. Its just like here and we want to leave because this area is shrinking and raising taxes with no hope of catching up fiscally.

And yes, I had to call the front desk twice and yell at the brats myself.
Purcellville is definitely more NoVa. The prices and taxes reflect it, too. An average 4 bedroom house on 1/4 acre runs about $400-440k and about $5300 for taxes (per Zillow). Values have gone down a good bit but the taxes haven't.

But, anyway, best of luck.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:59 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,100,415 times
Quote:
. . .it was just a bit of a let down compared to what I expected.
Sorry you didn't enjoy your visit. Yeah, Saturday night would've been pretty dead because it's wintertime plus college students were on Winter Break. I heard that there's more of a social atmosphere at the restaurants and bars on Friday and Sat nights during Spring and Summer.

I lived in NoVA for the last 20 years. Before that, in DC. Winchester reminded me of Leesburg when I first moved into NoVA--small historic town with lots of fields and horse farms in the surrounding area. I no longer wanted to stay after the sprawl and overdevelopment. In fact I really can't stand going back into the area (although I do to visit friends and eat out once in awhile) and can't wait to head back west "over the mountain." I guess, I just feel like I can now breathe when I am in Winchester. I like the people. I like the old historic buildings. I like the tactile and texture, including the dirt.

I hope things go well with your next visit! Good luck!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:02 PM

229 posts, read 879,809 times
Quote:
Hi All,
I am amazed that there is such opposition to growth. Why?
I went back and re-read your post. Exactly what kind of growth do you mean?

If its things like building schools, roads, new stores/restaurants and homes I really haven't seen much in the way of opposition in growth lately in the Winchester area when it comes to those type of things. Now with that being said there is some "opposition" as far as should Winchester and Frederick County work together but that is more of a Virginia thing not so much local.

Now if one is talking about high rises ( more than 15 stories ), upscale stores like Nordstrom and Saks, ultra exspensive restaurants like Ruth Chris, huge sports stadiums, a bunch of nightlife and the like..yeah there is opposition in Winchester against such stuff. But then again its the same thing in the other cities/ towns nearby too such as Martinsburg ( not talking about their nudie bars ), Front Royal, Harrisonburg, Hagerstown, Cumberland, Staunton, Woodstock, Charles Town, etc....Winchester really isn't any different than the others in that department.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy J. View Post
I went back and re-read your post. Exactly what kind of growth do you mean?

If its things like building schools, roads, new stores/restaurants and homes I really haven't seen much in the way of opposition in growth lately in the Winchester area when it comes to those type of things. Now with that being said there is some "opposition" as far as should Winchester and Frederick County work together but that is more of a Virginia thing not so much local.

Now if one is talking about high rises ( more than 15 stories ), upscale stores like Nordstrom and Saks, ultra exspensive restaurants like Ruth Chris, huge sports stadiums, a bunch of nightlife and the like..yeah there is opposition in Winchester against such stuff. But then again its the same thing in the other cities/ towns nearby too such as Martinsburg ( not talking about their nudie bars ), Front Royal, Harrisonburg, Hagerstown, Cumberland, Staunton, Woodstock, Charles Town, etc....Winchester really isn't any different than the others in that department.

Re your last paragraph: It's not opposition to upscale stores, ulta expensive restaurants -- those companies can look at the demographics/income distribution of Winchester and see that there isn't a sufficient population to support those stores. The Nordstrom in Dulles Town Center isn't even a full-size store and it's closing has been rumored for a while. If that part of Loudoun can't sustain a booming Nordstrom, there's no way Winchester (or Hagerstown, Cumberland etc) can entice them to open a store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia