Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:36 AM

23 posts, read 65,400 times

Advertisements

I have a Maryland Driving License and was stopped for reckless driving in Dinwiddie County VA. The officer told me that I was doing 84 mph in a 70 mph speed zone and that anything over 80 mph is considered reckless driving. I signed the form he gave me and was issued a court date. However, the form also states that I can plea guilty and have a "Trial in Absence". If I was to take this course of action I was wondering what the most likely fine would be ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 02:05 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,000,620 times
You can call the court and they will tell you your fine.....and yes---anything over 80 MPH is considered "reckless", no matter what the speed limit is! Just so you know, Virginia doesn't have any 70 MPH roads! They're all 65 or below!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:21 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,384,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You can call the court and they will tell you your fine.....and yes---anything over 80 MPH is considered "reckless", no matter what the speed limit is! Just so you know, Virginia doesn't have any 70 MPH roads! They're all 65 or below!
I used to think this too cb at sea. But on a recent trip to D.C. I took I-85 and some parts of it have a 70 mph limit.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whattodo View Post
I have a Maryland Driving License and was stopped for reckless driving in Dinwiddie County VA. The officer told me that I was doing 84 mph in a 70 mph speed zone and that anything over 80 mph is considered reckless driving. I signed the form he gave me and was issued a court date. However, the form also states that I can plea guilty and have a "Trial in Absence". If I was to take this course of action I was wondering what the most likely fine would be ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think that it is HIGHLY INADVISABLE that you plea guilty on a reckless driving charge. You will pay considerably MORE on your car insurance AND it may affect your employment if driving is part of your job.

I would strongly recommend that you hire an attorney in Dinwiddie County IMMEDIATELY and see if you can get the charge reduced to simple speeding.

And learn to slow down since Virginia takes its speed limits seriously.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 PM

126 posts, read 381,848 times
might want to read this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/virgi...-haunting.html

Old 01-07-2010, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 18,280 times
Default I"m in very similar trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whattodo View Post
I kind of have the same problem. I was coming from Atlanta headed back to DC when I got pulled over 6 hours into my drive(4 hours left) in Boydton, VA for going 88 in a 70 area. It was around 8:00 and there was no one on the road. Before I was leaving Atlanta I accidently got hit in the eye and had a black eye and headache that was really hurting. I was just trying to get home as soon as possible so I could get some sleep to feel better to see if I could make it to work in the morning. There were other people in the car that could have drove but I was technically the only person authurized to drive the car. When I go to court should I tell the judge this story and what might happen as a result. I have no prior speeding tickets on my driving record and I'm a college student. I didnt think I was putting anyone in danger because there were no other vehicles on I-85 N at the time.

In reply to your message I called the courthouse and they said my fine would be $271 because anything over 80 is reckless driving. They said that if you go to court your fine could be reduced and u could also be required to complete a driver improvement course. You should definatly go to try and get you mph reduced

Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 PM

211 posts, read 816,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Wrong.... Virginia does have 70mph roads - Interstate 85 from the NC state line for about 50 miles north, as authorized by the Code of Virginia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://198.246.135.1/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+code+46.2-870
The maximum speed limit on Interstate Route 85 shall be 70 miles per hour where indicated by lawfully placed signs, erected subsequent to a traffic engineering study and analysis of available and appropriate accident and law-enforcement data.
Of course, driving more than 80 is reckless driving in Virginia, giving you a criminal charge effectively for driving 10+ over on I-85....

Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 PM

Out-of-state drivers often aren't aware that what would normally be considered a mere speeding ticket elsewhere, is actually a criminal charge in Virginia.

The Code of Virginia has over 20 sections pertaining to reckless driving. It is defined as a Class 1 misdemeanor criminal offense, not a traffic infraction or a speeding ticket. For example, Virginia code explicitly defines the act of speeding 20 mph or more above the posted speed limit (or at any speed greater than 80 mph) as reckless driving.

All drivers convicted of reckless driving in Virginia, including out-of-state and foreign (e.g. Canadian) drivers, will have a permanent criminal record that will be indexed in the NCIC criminal database. The conviction will also be added to a Virginia driving record for 11 years, and six demerit points will be applied.

Because it is a criminal charge, you should know that
if you don't show up for the trial judges will often issue a Bench Warrant for your arrest unless you are represented by a lawyer. This may apply even if you pay the ticket by mail.

So unless you already have a criminal record, or could care less, you probably should contact an attorney, and make arrangements to defend yourself in court.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 AM

486 posts, read 1,949,456 times
If you pay the fine and submit the ticket, where you agree to a "Trial in Absence" by trial date they will not issue a bench warrant for you.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
If you pay the fine and submit the ticket, where you agree to a "Trial in Absence" by trial date they will not issue a bench warrant for you.
Really. For a "Class 1 misdemeanor" criminal charge? Not all judges play it this way across Virginia, you know. Especially if they sentence you in absentia to jail time.

Guess some folks just want to get it over with, and don't care about the "collateral consequences" of a conviction. Like a criminal record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: