Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 10:39 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,660,976 times

Advertisements

Most of the Lynchburg area's four major colleges are enjoying solid enrollment despite the recession. Only Randolph College seems to be having difficulty as it makes the change form all women to coed college. Hopefully they will get that trend turned around sooner than later. It's a fine small college and deserves to succeed.

The economic and social impacts of these colleges to the area are incredibly positive. A clean and high paying industry many overlook and undervalue as part of the economic base.

Randolph College expects enrollment dip, others expect jump | Lynchburg News Advance (http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news/local/article/randolph_college_expects_enrollment_dip_others_exp ect_jump/17846/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:31 AM

506 posts, read 1,403,327 times
I agree 100%....yet, I have one question. How come Lynchburg does not feel like a college town?

Charlottesville, Annarbor (Mi), the college towns around North Carolinas Research Triangle, Austin (Tx) or Athens (GA) have a comletely different feel the Lynchburg. Yes, the just mentioned places are significantly larger, yet.....with the four schools here, Lynchburg SHOULD NOT feel like a very sleepy ultra conservative town, right??
Badger, I know you and I disagree quite "a bit" about Lynchburg, but I hope you can see what I am trying to say.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:44 AM

Having lived in three of the great college towns in the US (Madison, Austin, and Boulder) I feel weel qualified to answer this. In all those cases the town essentially grew around the university. All those schools were founded in the mid 1800s when the towns were but villages. Same for Cville and many others. So the campus is a central part of the city and the retail aspect that makes it feelo like a college town developed adjacent ot the campus. Also those schools are all larger in both students and scope. Wisconsin has nearly 20,000 employees on top of the 40,000 students so you have 60,000 people swarming the area day and into the night. None of L's colleges are even close to being in that league. Very few colleges in the US are in that league. Also the largest school is located on the fringe of the city and it basically is only a baby as far as schools go. Randolph has a mini version of the college town type of area nearby and probably that area feels the most like one right now. Nevertheless, L does enjoy some of the benefits of being a town with many colleges if not a college town. There are arts events every week at most of the schools and they are often excellent for the $$$$ or free. You have a wonderful art museum at RC, very good football and basketball at LU, and the kids do spend lots of $$$$ in town. I see them at restaurants, in the bars and shopping.

L will never have the ideal college town look of a Madison or Ann Arbor or even Cville. Those are unique places with powerful universities with budgets in the multiple Billions of $$$s and massive campus complexes. But the local colleges do add much to the local business community and offer plenty to local residents if they would bother to take advantage.

Last edited by badger74; 07-24-2009 at 11:45 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 10:49 AM

506 posts, read 1,403,327 times
Thanks for an informative answer.
Randolph has a nice campus and the area around the school is quite cozy.

Last edited by Mr_Jonas; 07-24-2009 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Also I was mostly focusing on the economic impact of the colleges--payroll, students spending money around town, the parents filling hotels and spending money (some weekends you cannot find a hotel room in town). Added together higher education is probably L's third largest industry after nuclear and healthcare. Also it is a "base" industry which means most of the money they take in comes from outside the area and stays in the community where it is spent and respent. That is the opposite of the big retail stores where the money is taken in and most of it goes outside the area. Economic health comes with base industries as there is not much wealth created selling each other clothes and groceries that are mostly produced outside the community. That's why I support the success and health of all our local colleges whether or not I agree with all their policies and beliefs.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:08 PM

895 posts, read 2,097,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
Also I was mostly focusing on the economic impact of the colleges--payroll, students spending money around town, the parents filling hotels and spending money (some weekends you cannot find a hotel room in town). Added together higher education is probably L's third largest industry after nuclear and healthcare. Also it is a "base" industry which means most of the money they take in comes from outside the area and stays in the community where it is spent and respent. That is the opposite of the big retail stores where the money is taken in and most of it goes outside the area. Economic health comes with base industries as there is not much wealth created selling each other clothes and groceries that are mostly produced outside the community. That's why I support the success and health of all our local colleges whether or not I agree with all their policies and beliefs.
Well said!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
Having lived in three of the great college towns in the US (Madison, Austin, and Boulder) I feel weel qualified to answer this. In all those cases the town essentially grew around the university. All those schools were founded in the mid 1800s when the towns were but villages. Same for Cville and many others. So the campus is a central part of the city and the retail aspect that makes it feelo like a college town developed adjacent ot the campus. Also those schools are all larger in both students and scope. Wisconsin has nearly 20,000 employees on top of the 40,000 students so you have 60,000 people swarming the area day and into the night. None of L's colleges are even close to being in that league. Very few colleges in the US are in that league. Also the largest school is located on the fringe of the city and it basically is only a baby as far as schools go. Randolph has a mini version of the college town type of area nearby and probably that area feels the most like one right now. Nevertheless, L does enjoy some of the benefits of being a town with many colleges if not a college town. There are arts events every week at most of the schools and they are often excellent for the $$$$ or free. You have a wonderful art museum at RC, very good football and basketball at LU, and the kids do spend lots of $$$$ in town. I see them at restaurants, in the bars and shopping.

L will never have the ideal college town look of a Madison or Ann Arbor or even Cville. Those are unique places with powerful universities with budgets in the multiple Billions of $$$s and massive campus complexes. But the local colleges do add much to the local business community and offer plenty to local residents if they would bother to take advantage.
This much is very true. But LU also has a different impact on the city that hinders that 'College Town Feel'. Drinking amongst its students is highly discouraged. Most college towns thrive on beer sales and other typical collge traditions, whether we agree with them or not. Now we know some do, but a lot do not. Just compare Blacksburg and Charlottesville to Lynchburg. They thrive on the night life. Lynchburg does not.

LU never used to be that big, and the town was not built around a university. LC and RM are too small to capitalize on.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 AM

No, but they drink lots of coffee and eat in restaurants, shop at the stores, etc etc. There's more to a college based economy than beer sales. And LU students have been known to hoist a few too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia