Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 10:22 PM

7 posts, read 16,887 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me input on this? I am originally from NYC and have just graduated from dental school in Wisconsin. I enjoy the slower pace in Wisconsin and wanted to relocate someplace on the southeast as NYC is too busy with too many people. I don't want to move to a small town but I do want someplace smaller than NYC. I also feel the cost of living is too high as well. I am considering moving to either Georgia (the Atlanta area) or Virginia (not sure where I would like to move, however some people have suggested the VA beach or Charlottesville area). I am in my 20s with no kids but I am engaged. Can anyone provide any insight on the pros and cons of these states? I truly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 05:48 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
If you don't mind a high cost of living, Virginia Beach is fine. So is Atlanta - in town. Outside of Atlanta, the cost of living drops as the mileage goes up.

Example: 35 - 40 miles west of Atlanta, new "starter" homes are about $110k (3 bd, 2 ba, 2 car garage). Property taxes run about $400 - $600.

Here's a typical "starter" home (used) -- $80k
115 Whitney Ln, Villa Rica GA 30180 | Homes.com

Guide to local scene:
Creative Loafing Atlanta | Home

From an outsider's perspective, metro Atlanta has biggest local telephone dialing area (huge), most trees, fastest kudzu, and fire ants (bummer). Despite being a railroad hub, very little rail mass transit. A car is a necessity. Did I forget to mention that it's hot / humid? Air conditioning is another necessity. But the living's good, and folks aren't in so much of a rush.

Oh - and buy a map book of the area. The road names change, are confusing (Peachtree everywhere!), and sometimes will drive you crazy. And so are some of the landmarks. "Go right at the Big Chicken, and you'll see it..."

Old 07-02-2009, 05:56 AM

290 posts, read 1,159,856 times
Are you choosing VA or GA because they both have an 'a' at the end? I mean these are two very different places. Its funny to me how people come from up north and just group all states down south together. You might as well just go to Atlanta.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:53 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,891,882 times
Atlanta has a "NYC-esque" energy with tall buildings mixed with southern traditions. Charlotte is very similar. Both provide good employment options and
much lower costs than NYC. Coming from NYC you may experience culture shock with both cities.
Virginia Beach is a large city made of up military families. It has a crowded beach with little available parking facilites. Nearby Norfolk has improved its downtown but nowhere near as energetic as Atlanta or Charlotte. If you like to stay in your car the Tidewater area is perfect.
Charlottesville is an upscale university town with more expensive real estate.
It is 2 hrs from DC by train, 1 hr from Richmond and the mountains and 3 hrs from Va Beach. Some say it is snooty.
Check out Wilmington on the NC coast. The beaches are much nicer and the city is charming with a lively downtown and a riverboat. There are many ex-
New Yorkers down there and they have a fantastic Italian market. The only thing I don't like are potential hurricanes!
Good Luck!

Old 07-02-2009, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 16,887 times
Thanks for the helpful responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia