Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:23 AM

168 posts, read 840,727 times

Advertisements

OK,.....I have lived in some dreary, gross cities in my life.....
BUT.........
Having just moved to the western side of VA, near Harrisonburg....I gotta ask:

What is up with this depressing, god-forsaken weather?
I mean c'mon,......is this Seattle? Belgium?......

Is this normal? Did I happen to unknowingly pick a place to move that is cursed with rain 5 out of 7 days all spring long? I certainly could have picked someplace else,....but I was hoping to enjoy some nice outdoor activities and love the mountains so here I am....

jeeez!

Thoughts? Please tell me this is incredibly abnormal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Jim View Post
OK,.....I have lived in some dreary, gross cities in my life.....
BUT.........
Having just moved to the western side of VA, near Harrisonburg....I gotta ask:

What is up with this depressing, god-forsaken weather?
I mean c'mon,......is this Seattle? Belgium?......

Is this normal? Did I happen to unknowingly pick a place to move that is cursed with rain 5 out of 7 days all spring long? I certainly could have picked someplace else,....but I was hoping to enjoy some nice outdoor activities and love the mountains so here I am....

jeeez!

Thoughts? Please tell me this is incredibly abnormal?
Well its not raining it Roanoke today in fact the sun is shinning! But I know what you mean we have had some gross soggy dreary weather lately. At one point it lasted over a weeks span and caused me to get a little depressed. Fortunatly though we arnt Seattle and it wont stay like that in fact much of the summer here is warm and sunny with the ocassional thunderstorm days thrown in. Hang in there Va. has some decent weather!

Old 06-09-2009, 03:47 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Well its not raining it Roanoke today in fact the sun is shinning! But I know what you mean we have had some gross soggy dreary weather lately. At one point it lasted over a weeks span and caused me to get a little depressed. Fortunatly though we arnt Seattle and it wont stay like that in fact much of the summer here is warm and sunny with the ocassional thunderstorm days thrown in. Hang in there Va. has some decent weather!
Haha, you spoke too soon.

We just had a quick 30min shower....
It stayed pretty sunny and hot out (so hot in fact, that the heat from the road created steam from the rain that had just fallen)...

As far as Roanoke, I don't really remember springs/summers being particularly rainy as we have been seeing over the last few weeks. Or maybe we've had near-drought conditions for so long that I'm not use to rain. I know for the last few years it seems like we would never have a good thunderstorm (with lightning and thunder) so when we had one a few days back I was actually a bit pleasantly surprised (strange, I know)...

Old 06-11-2009, 12:44 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Actually I kinda like the weather although I will say that I did soaked when I was out in DC last night. WHen I say I mean SOAKED. On the news this morning there was talk of floods and people having to be rescued from their cars. I myself drove through a little lake but it was fine. Some summers are just like that where there's just lots of thunderstorms. Cheer up it'll be hot and sunny in a little bit.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:34 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,263 times
uh why do you think the Virginia colonies had such a hard time living here?..

Old 06-12-2009, 11:49 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
I hope that's an attempt at a joke...

Dr. Jim - I don't think it's been so dreary this year. Some years we have lots of rain, others we're in a drought. We've had quite a bit of sun in Richmond. The one thing I wish we had less of in Virginia is the killer humidity.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:40 PM

506 posts, read 1,401,988 times
I am glad we have had the rain. Heat is overrated!
Seattle and Belgium are very nice places too :-)

Old 06-12-2009, 05:21 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,043 times
It's going to get worse Dr. Jim, much worse. You'll start getting testy about things that never bothered you before. Just wait. It will consume you...

Old 06-13-2009, 08:51 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
The one thing I wish we had less of in Virginia is the killer humidity.

Amen! I went for a brief 5-mile run earlier and had to PEEL my shirt off of myself because I was dripping from head to toe in sweat. It was truly disgusting. (Sniffs armpit). On that note I'm headed into the shower now!

Old 06-14-2009, 11:58 AM

506 posts, read 1,401,988 times
Being born above the arctic circle (ni joke) the heat and humidity is slowly killing me..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia