Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 10,776 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Virginia and we would like to live in a small town (less than 100,000 people) with a traditional town center (sidewalks, stores/restaurants). We'd also like to live close to a train station to DC. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:36 AM

743 posts, read 3,902,172 times
Fredericksburg, Manassas, Ashland, Culpeper, Front Royal, Charlottesville

Old 04-03-2009, 03:21 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,326,854 times
Manassas city

Manassas, VA - Official Site

Old 04-03-2009, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 14,495 times
I think Fredericksburg would be your ideal place. There are many housing options available inside the town within walking distance to restaurants, shops, and the train station. It's a great town to live in, I lived there for four years. It still has somewhat of a small town feel and is family friendly. I found it easy to make friends with the locals and some of the shop/restaurant owners. Just be wary there is suburban sprawl and traffic to the south and west of town.

There is multiple daily commuter train service to Washington. The VRE commuter trains run Monday to Friday, and you can take Amtrak on the weekends.

Charlottesville would be another great place, a bit larger than Fredericksburg, but I never lived there and am not familiar with its train services. Culpeper is nice too, it is smaller and offers less in restaurants/shops than both Charlottesville and Fredericksburg. Overall, they are all nice places to live.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:19 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,326,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpilot View Post
I think Fredericksburg would be your ideal place. There are many housing options available inside the town within walking distance to restaurants, shops, and the train station. It's a great town to live in, I lived there for four years. It still has somewhat of a small town feel and is family friendly. I found it easy to make friends with the locals and some of the shop/restaurant owners. Just be wary there is suburban sprawl and traffic to the south and west of town.

There is multiple daily commuter train service to Washington. The VRE commuter trains run Monday to Friday, and you can take Amtrak on the weekends.

Charlottesville would be another great place, a bit larger than Fredericksburg, but I never lived there and am not familiar with its train services. Culpeper is nice too, it is smaller and offers less in restaurants/shops than both Charlottesville and Fredericksburg. Overall, they are all nice places to live.
Fredericksburg is good, especially if you are going to be using the train to go to DC for leisure and not for work.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:34 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,620,600 times
Default Lynchburg

Lynchburg has train service to D.C. Its small and I am not that familiar with it. Roanoke is about an hour from Lynchbrug and their train service to DC but could be an option. Also a bit larger city, Richmond has train service to DC and is only an hour and a halfs drive.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:38 AM

43 posts, read 125,457 times
Winchester meets all the criteria and is still rural, compared to some of the aforementioned. Or not, on second thought, don't look there, terrible decision. Would have to live there to understand. I've 10 acres for sale near there. Within 5 miles of town. But god, save yourself. It's only about perfect for living.

Can you tell the above was tongue in cheek?? Cause it was. And I do have a 10 acre ridge that looks down the Shenn. valley for sale. Great piece of property. Beautifull views......

Bob

Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,892,313 times
Default Town Center

Train Service to DC? Fredericksburg is ideal. Charlottesville has a compact city center with rail service. Lynchburg is getting a new train to DC but the rail station is not downtown. Roanoke has the best downtown in VA and there are plans for train to DC. Norfolk has a great downtown but no train. Richmond has a downtown train and a developing city center.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 AM

290 posts, read 1,159,947 times
Why are you all saying Richmond and Norfolk? Those are cities, Those arent small towns, there's like 250,000 people in Norfolk..

Old 04-15-2009, 01:28 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Try Ashland, small town amtrack comes right through town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia