Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 29,943 times

Advertisements

I did a search to see if there are any other posts involving relocation to the northern neck and I turned up some information, although from a little while back. One thing that I noted though was that it doesn't seem like theres a wealth of information regarding housing. I'm wondering where one can go to see about rentals / apartments, etc. I do realize there is not much in the way of this type of housing down there, but I'm looking for information on what there may be available. Especially in the Kilmarnock, Reedville, Heathsville, Warsaw area. (Northumberland / Lancaster).

Also any other information about relocating down that way if possible is also very appreciated.

If it helps to know, I won't be a retiree or someone looking for a second home. I'm in my twenties and relocating for employment reasons.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 12:04 PM

125 posts, read 509,707 times
OLOD,

You might try browing the classified ads in the Rappahannock Record newspaper at Record Online - Serving the Northern Neck of Virginia.
It's a weekly paper and the online version is updated each Wednesday night, as I recall. The category is RENTALS/VACATION RENTALS. I had a weekend place and a full-time residence in Northumberland County for years, but don't know anything about rentals there.

BTW, you mentioned Warsaw and I think that is located in Richmond County. It's very close to Tappahannock, but on the other side of the Rappahannock River.

I hope that helps and congrats on your move! It's a beautiful area.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterfront View Post
OLOD,

You might try browing the classified ads in the Rappahannock Record newspaper at Record Online - Serving the Northern Neck of Virginia.
It's a weekly paper and the online version is updated each Wednesday night, as I recall. The category is RENTALS/VACATION RENTALS. I had a weekend place and a full-time residence in Northumberland County for years, but don't know anything about rentals there.

BTW, you mentioned Warsaw and I think that is located in Richmond County. It's very close to Tappahannock, but on the other side of the Rappahannock River.

I hope that helps and congrats on your move! It's a beautiful area.

Thanks for the information. Do the rentals listed there routinely get updated? I noticed a few of them with dates from a while back.

As for mentioning Warsaw, I'm pretty much looking at anywhere from the Westmoreland / Northumberland County line, south and south east, on that peninsula since I'm not sure exactly where I will be ending up. I'm hoping to take a trip down in the coming week to explore the area a bit.

What about amenities on the Northern Neck? Especially in regards to cell phone services, phone service, electricity rates, TV providers, internet services, etc. I noticed that there are three 'wireless broadband' providers in the area, but I wasn't sure if there were any Cable / DSL providers.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:27 PM

OLOD,

There is another local newspaper in Heathsville, Northumberland Echo, that also has some rental listings in their online site, www.northumberlandecho.com. These are classified ads that one has to pay for, so I assume folks run them until they find a tenant or get tired of paying for the ads.

I lived in Ophelia in Northumberland County, so I can share what I had there.

We used Verizon for both landline and cell phones. Verizon was pretty much the sole provider for landline, and was told that the cabling infrastructure there was too old to support DSL, much less FIOS (fiber optic). I lived there full-time for 5 years, and during that time more cell towers were put up to provide better cell coverage and more hi-speed internet. Northern Neck Wireless and Kaballero were two hi-speed internet providers in my area.

For TV, most everyone used DirecTV satellite dish. There was no cable provider available in our area, but there may be in more densely populated towns like Kilmarnock. Satellite was pretty good except when the severe weather passed through and you lost the signal.

We had electricity through Northern Neck Electric Cooperative, located in Warsaw. Again depending on where you're located, I think some folks had Virginia Dominion Power and some were on another cooperative.

Happy hunting there -- you have a lot of territory to cover. Best to ask about utilities once you're narrowed down your search. As I recall, Ophelia was about 19 miles from Kilmarnock, 11-12 miles from Reedville and 32 miles from Warsaw. A Wal-Mart opened in Kilmarnock about 2 years ago -- before that we drove an hour to either Tappahannock or Gloucester for supplies.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:03 AM

43 posts, read 125,381 times
I grew up in Oak Grove, NW of the area you are looking but can mirror the above post. You will be on dialup internet. Verizon is big in the area. Cable? We don't need no stinkin' cable!! A dish is your best bet. Though some areas have "regular" cable. Though no broadband. Dialup only.

Oh, and Warsaw is still on the 'Neck, though the furthest I regularly travelled was Montross. The county seat for Westmoreland county. But the whole neck is unspoiled and beautifull. Win-Win. If you can make it work job-wise, good on you. The seafood is unparrelleled and water, big water, is never more than 10 min's away.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl

Old 04-12-2009, 10:37 PM

Well it looks like I will be moving to the area. I found a spot to live near Reedville that is serviced by Northern Neck Wireless Internet and I believe is wired for Dish or Direct TV by the previous person who lived there. Thanks for all the help folks.

I spent the last week or so in the area, Kilmarnock, Reedville, etc. and it does seem like a beautiful area. It will be just be one hell of a culture shock. Where the best place for someone in their twenties to meet folks? I noticed a large group of twenty somethings out playing a game of kick ball one day at a field in Northumberland County.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:11 PM

OLOD,

Congratulations on finding a new home there. You will be close to the fish factory there in Reedville/Fleeton, so let me know if it smells like money to you. That's what the locals tell everyone when they mention the smell!

"Where the best place for someone in their twenties to meet folks?"
I'm stumped on that question -- I was more toward the 'retirement' side of the age scale, so I really can't offer much advice. You might ask around with some of the younger crowd that work in the local restaurants, etc..

Old 04-14-2009, 01:55 PM

13 posts, read 37,973 times
I grew up in Northumberland but moved out for college and haven't been back except to visit my family and honestly there is nothing to do for young people there so I am not sure. But make sure you go to the Blue Fish Derby you should meet some people there. Have Fun.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 9,156 times
If you are looking for kids activities in the Northern Neck area, check out a new website called Kidburst

[url]http://kidburst.com/northern-neck[/url]

Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 8,534 times
I just moved to the northern neck at the start of Feb. It is hard because there is not a lot of spots for young people to hang out. My wife and I have found that KC's Crabs and Cues is good, It is a seafood/ pool place. We are both in our early 20s and just out of college living in Reedville and that is all we have really found so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia